Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: westernwillows ( )
Date: September 22, 2020 10:18PM

I was BIC so I always knew what garments were, and I always thought they were hideous. My much older cousin liked to shop at Victoria's Secret, and if I was around she took me along, so I knew that much prettier undergarments existed too. When I was Senior Primary age, maybe 9, I told my mom that I didn't want to wear garments when I grew up. Her response was that you just wear them and deal with it because it's the right thing to do (and of course you have to Choose the Right). She basically told me that I had no choice, that I would marry in the temple and wear garments, and that was that.

Fast forward to 2020. I've never worn garments =) My mom came to visit last weekend, and I live in a COVID-19 hotspot, so masks are required by local ordinance. My mom complained and complained and complained all weekend about having to wear her mask (and we only went a few places where we had to wear them). She declared that people who choose to wear masks are brainwashed.

Well, isn't that ironic.

She's willing to wear garments that allegedly have magical powers to keep you safe because some corporation declared that wearing them is your golden ticket to get into heaven, but she won't wear a mask for a brief period of time to help stop the spread of illnesses. But yet that's not brainwashing.

I've never worn garments, but I am pretty sure my mask is more comfortable, and it doesn't cost me 10% of my income.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: September 22, 2020 10:29PM

Next time she comes to visit and you drive somewhere with her, tell not to wear her seatbelt. If she says anything regarding seatbelt laws, just twirl your mask on one finger and grin at her...

Posted by: Russsell Mallard ( )
Date: September 22, 2020 10:35PM

Just tell her that her orange deity says to wear a mask wherever the law says it's required and that so does his cardboard underling.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: September 23, 2020 08:14AM

Date: September 23, 2020 02:38PM

I'm not sure I've seen the orange deity or his cardboard underling wearing a mask themselves. Do as they say, not as they do? I've been avoiding the news in this crazy time.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: September 24, 2020 02:58PM

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: September 23, 2020 08:48AM

I would love it if someone told me not to wear a seatbelt.

Date: September 23, 2020 02:34PM

Somehow she forgot the "obey the laws of the land" thing that the people formerly known as Mormon preach. Or do they not tell their members that anymore?

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: September 23, 2020 09:16AM

Yes, isn't that ironic.

I don't know how you managed to keep from explaining that to her!

Date: September 23, 2020 02:47PM

No doubt if the profit made a statement and declared that everyone should wear a mask then she would whip out her sewing machine and make herself a whole designer line of them and wear them proudly. I guess my county's commissioners aren't enough of an authority for her.

The topic of church attendance during the pandemic while she was here, and she is convinced that it is of utmost importance that people with children attend church as often as possible, even though services are short, because you have to keep kids in the habit of going to church. Heaven forbid they realize that you can have fun on a Sunday or spend real quality time with your family instead of in boring meetings.

Posted by: logged out today ( )
Date: September 23, 2020 03:07PM

Is the Utah Area Presidency good enough for her?

https://www.deseret.com/faith/2020/7/10/21320807/mormon-covid-19-pandemic-masks-church-latter-day-saints-in-utah

There's no way this would have been announced without Q15 approval. I mean, these guys are so church-broke, they'd stop wiping themselves if the profit told them to.

And if perchance you don't live in Holy Zion, remind her that Utah is well and truly the center of the universe, and that true and faithful saints always follow Utah's lead.

Date: September 24, 2020 02:43PM

Alas, we are outside the holy land of Utah, but I do appreciate in the article that Nelson asked church members to be good global citizens during the pandemic. My mom apparently missed that statement from him.

Date: September 23, 2020 02:51PM

I think we should bring back the trend!

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: September 23, 2020 04:11PM

What's Arabic for Allah's jockstrap?

I ask this in all sincerity and humility as I am just a humpable seeker of Truth.

Date: September 24, 2020 02:47PM

I found it interesting how many countries ban covering the face. I'm curious how they're handling that during the pandemic. Surely some Muslim women want to wear a hijab and need to wear a mask as required by local ordinance.

Posted by: ufotofu ( )
Date: September 23, 2020 04:13PM

Did you make the connection (with her)?

Date: September 24, 2020 02:52PM

No, my mom is so deeply entrenched in the cult that pointing it out wouldn't get me anywhere. Sometimes I wonder who my mother could have been had she not been BIC. She was the first woman to graduate from her state's law enforcement academy in the 1970s and worked for the FBI. My mom was COOL. Then she got married and started having kids and quit working and the church became her life.

Posted by: frankie ( )
Date: September 23, 2020 06:55PM

HELLO !!!!
I finally found a fellow non compliant garment person. I chose to not wear them at age 3. I'm 45 and have never worn them. why? I never married went on a mission.

Yes your mom is weird how ironic is her thinking

Date: September 24, 2020 02:53PM

There's lots of us non-garment-wearing people here =) No temple for me! I'm glad I got out before I was pressured into taking out my endowments.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: September 24, 2020 03:19PM

westernwillows Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> was pressured into taking out my endowments.

Sounds like sexual coerciveness.

Posted by: ufotofu ( )
Date: September 25, 2020 11:25AM

Most people don't like to be forced to wear things... and then, there are mormons: FORCED to wear garments! But TSCC would have to call for garments under the mask to make the mask itself less an issue. ALL LDS members should be issued (and paid for of course by the member) CHURCH sponsored under MAGA [Masks Are Garments Again] masks.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.