Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: July 01, 2011 04:22PM

Remembering when I infrequently attended the temple jogged a interesting memory.

After the initiatory shock of the live endowment forever after when I "attended the temple" for dead endowments I would invariably feel an overwhelming anti-spirit. I wanted to shout something other than "yes", "Hallelujah", or "I covenant." I want to shout things that Satan would be proud of me for shouting.

Maybe it stems from when I was 12 doing "baptisms for the dead" or taking a bath for ghosts. Back then I thought "no unclean thing" could actually enter the temple or the carrier of uncleanliness would be struck down.

Anyone else Temple Tourettes Syndrome before contracting the wholly worse Shaken Faith Syndrome?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Finally Free! ( )
Date: July 01, 2011 04:32PM

I totally know what you mean. I would sit in the celestial room and couldn't help thinking all kinds of "unclean" thoughts. Usually, I couldn't help feeling like it was just a pretty room and usually just got bored and left after I felt I had an appropriate amount of time to meditate. Other times, it was just like you describe... Kind of a "what would happen if I stood up and shouted 'That was the most boring movie ever, and did you see brother so-and-so? he was drooling, he was so bored'" or other things that would have made my Mom's ears fall off...

Even as a missionary in the MTC, which is "dedicated somewhere between a chapel and a Temple". "Evil thoughts" managed to creep in...

I always thought I just brought the evil in with me somehow, or I was being tempted to not enjoy the clean and beautiful spirit of the occasion...

Now I know it was just a subconscious part of me that was starting to rebel against the whole weirdness of it all.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2011 04:33PM by finallyfree.

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: July 01, 2011 04:32PM

I just tried not to laugh at the movie, and not think about how much I wanted to plow Eve. Even the blonde one that had a catcher's mit for a face.

Posted by: helamonster ( )
Date: July 01, 2011 04:39PM

All the old men in there farted thinking no one else could hear them, so I figured it would amuse me and still get blamed on them anyway.

For some reason, I was usually VERY gassy in the temple...

Posted by: helamonster ( )
Date: July 01, 2011 05:13PM

And the smell...

Posted by: sd ( )
Date: July 01, 2011 05:08PM

shall go down, we shall go down, we shall go down, we shall go down.....

Posted by: losinglisa ( )
Date: July 01, 2011 05:34PM

When I was 12 I stuck out my tongue at a boy while we were sitting watching baptisms for the dead, and got chewed out by the bishop later.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2011 05:34PM by losinglisa.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: July 01, 2011 06:35PM

When instructed to bow my head and say "yes" I bowed my head and muttered "bullshit." It went unnoticed in the sea of mumbling sounds.

I also shook hands with a GA in the temple. His powers of discernment didn't seem to catch me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2011 06:38PM by baura.

Posted by: confusedconvert ( )
Date: July 02, 2011 04:05PM

I managed to punch a chandelier by accident in the temple, apparently they make a lot of noise in that eerily quiet building!

Posted by: Nealster ( )
Date: July 02, 2011 04:34PM

confusedconvert Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I managed to punch a chandelier by accident in the
> temple, apparently they make a lot of noise in
> that eerily quiet building!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Mf58Yndjsw

Posted by: karin ( )
Date: July 02, 2011 06:00PM

Posted by: happycat ( )
Date: July 04, 2011 08:54AM

Well not sure if this is Temple Tourettes but I did go stoned, on a YSA trip once, with a bus, it broke down 3 times, because he needed to power down, to cool it, or something. (needs a radiator service?). Each time, they repowered the futuristic Kolonbian land cruiser (a coach), they popped in those Johnny Lingo movies, (Such as this one about a drunkard uncle named Joe, who somehow Family services deemed worthy to care for his 3 orhpaned kin, (he was living with his sister, who died under the stress of taking care of him and them. Like the heroic Relief angel that she is. *gags on a hairball*) My dope wore off long ago to numb the depressing pain of being stuck on a bus full of wacko fellow YSA. all sorts of obsenities were going through my head.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.