Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Cold-Dodger ( )
Date: September 29, 2020 01:24PM

He was making a lot of sense and making me reconsider the harshness of my stances against his beliefs in some things... until he brought up Bigfoot.

He said, “you’re supposed to be the science guy, well you have to accept the science,” and he proceeded to dump a bunch of Sasquatch Hunter podcasts on me.

I asked him if anybody in any of these podcasts had actually found anything empirical worthy of my time, and he said, “well, no, but the sheer amount of anecdotal evidence is convincing.”

Convincing?

He got defensive in the same way he gets defensive about God (give him a break; he gets points for being the only momo that still talks to me) and he started talking about this guy who is an expert in footprints. He said this guy, whose name escapes me, has been sent hundreds of Bigfootprint casts by schmucks from all over the world and “a few them seemed to be genuine,” because there’s “certain things” about footprints that can’t be faked.

Ah. Very convincing. Well, I asked him if anyone had found an actual foot belonging to the creature that made these prints.

He said, no, but the lack of bones is actually evidence for the creature, because apex predator bones are not something you typically find in the woods.

And I’m thinking, well, they find them often enough to put them in museums, though. I will settle for no less than a genuine Bigfoot specimen or at least some video of one of these nine foot ape-men throwing rocks like the anecdotes describe. Seriously, he’s claiming there’s a whole continent full of these things, a whole species with families that hunt for food and live and grow old and die and have sex and make more little sasquatches, and no one can get a specimen?

But you’re just being close minded: how could all these anecdotes just be wrong? You think every single time someone sees something, it’s a conman in a monkey suit?

Well, no, I think most people could be liars. And I think there might be something like the “Brigham Young turning into Joseph Smith” effect happening to people’s memories. You see, humans are silly creatures that infer a lot of their perceived reality from the word of others and also they are intensely interested in obtaining status in the human dominance hierarchy. So, if everyone in town has seen Bigfoot, you’ve seen him too. You don’t want to be only weirdo who hasn’t seen Bigfoot or at least the only weirdo who remains skeptical when everybody else has seen him or knows someone who has. You can make whole communities of such beings believe the most incredible stupidities even when the source for the first incidence is known to be completely dubious and nobody has really seen anything since that we can show. We must not underestimate the human ability to lie for status and even to self-deceive for social acceptance. Also, how many knocks in the night are actually Bigfoot and not some other big animal we already know exists? If you need it to be the Squatch, perhaps that is how you will genuinely remember it, but that doesn’t mean the Squatch was there.

Well, his eyes begin to glaze over just like when we have any of our “liberal atheist versus conservative Mormon” debates. How can I be so dismissive? There’s so much evidence.

No, there’s no evidence. None. I know there’s occasionally a grainy video of a yellow dot up on the bill that we are supposed to believe is a long distance infrared of the Squatch at night or some large furry thing playing in the water behind the bushes, but no one who ever says it was “right there” ever goes the extra mile to get that video that we know was not faked. I’d settle for large boulder being thrown at someone in the woods accompanied by an inhuman roar. I mean, I’m reasonable: if footage exists that doesn’t completely suck dick, I’m all ears. The pentagon recently released intel that several UFO videos in viral circulation we genuine Air Force interceptions of real objects. That’s a huge boost in the credibility of UFO sightings, because we’ve got video made with state of the art military scopes tracking these things, how far away they were, how high they were flying, and how fast they were moving. What does Sasquatch get to make his case?

A few days later we were watching Survivorman: Sasquatch edition. He of course finds nothing, and all of his most convincing evidence happens off camera. I used to like Survivorman. I learned near the end of the episode that this was in fact the first episode of a whole season.

A whole season?

Yes.

Did they find it?

Well, um, no, but...

Alright then, let’s watch the next episode where he doesn’t find Sasquatch.

He was done talking Squatch with me after that.

He was starting to make me feel like maybe I was a bigot treating anti-intellectuals so harshly, and then he goes and gives me a live demonstration that I am absolutely right to despise anti-intellectual culture. I’m no offended by the idea that a hominid species is out there right now. If that was true, I would use it everyday to prove to the folks I grew up with that humans are evolved, not specially created. But this particular species doesn’t seem to exist and yet people insist on believing in it very much like God.

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: September 29, 2020 01:47PM

I think it’s funny and indicative that he keeps putting the burden of proof on me to argue the impossibility of Sasquatch instead of him showing me compelling evidence that there is such a thing. I point out that this difference in epistemology is maybe the main distinction between how we both think. Asserting the existing of the Sasquatch based on the evidence we have is lot like asserting the existence of a whole civilization of white Jews in the Americas before Columbus. The evidence is always bad, and there’s always a dark shadowy “them” that don’t want you to know about these things or else we’d have more convincing evidence.

I was virtually disowned by a whole society of people who think this way.

*makes crazy face while mock-strangling self with neck tie*

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: September 29, 2020 03:18PM

regarding Sasquatch ~

have scientists considered ~

looking somewhere else ? ~

-oooO-----------
-(__)-----Oooo--
--\-(------(__)--
---\_)-----)-/---
----------(_/----
-----------------

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: September 29, 2020 04:06PM

They probably never thought to look here. Look: BIG Feat!

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: September 29, 2020 03:51PM

If Sasquatch is some type of primate, then it should act like most primates, living and traveling in family groups, not solitary creatures. After all, they have to reproduce somehow. Footprints should be in clusters. There should be patches of well-trod ground where they camp or simply rest. And there should be unique scat all over the place. Why are the sightings and footprints only of adults and not of Sasquatchlings? Are they're advanced enough to use tools and build shelters? If so, where are those?

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: September 29, 2020 04:09PM

I keep seeing this guy in a dark suit with long red tie, and notice how he walks just like Sasquatch. Maybe proof?

Posted by: Harry Sasqutch ( )
Date: September 29, 2020 07:50PM

Why can't people just leave me the fuck alone? You think I want to be "discovered" by moronic humans and put on display? Why do you think I went into hiding in the first place?

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: September 29, 2020 08:05PM

Wow! What a potty mouth!

No wonder you never see Sasquatch at a prom...

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: September 29, 2020 11:36PM

Remind him in mormonism bigfoot is Cain.

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: September 29, 2020 11:51PM

Bigfoot Cain is mighty sly. Those motion activated trail cameras have photographed every large animal in North America but old Mr. Bigfoot has slipped past.

Date: September 30, 2020 02:44PM

I actually brought that up in the form of accusing him that he believes that African Americans are descended from Bigfoot. He quickly distanced himself from the quote — was it George Q Canon? - identifying Cain with Bigfoot-like appearance and he also questioned the legitimacy of all those patriarchal blessings received by African American members telling them that they were descendants of Cain. He is capable of skepticism on occasion, but he won’t let me just make him into a consistent skeptic.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: September 30, 2020 02:50PM

Spence inserted that paragraph--it sits there bizarrely, having no connection to the preceding and following text--in Miracle of Forgiveness. The original source was the biography of David Patton, who was the one who met Cain on a dusty road.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: October 02, 2020 02:30AM

The book of Abraham clearly states the Egyptus the wife of Ham was a descendant of Cain. I love how mormons toss aside their scriptures when convenient.

Posted by: Richard the Bad ( )
Date: October 02, 2020 03:40PM

He was probably referring to Grover Krantz:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grover_Krantz

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: October 02, 2020 05:45PM

If the church is true, why not Bigfoot?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.