Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Toronto Boy ( )
Date: September 30, 2020 05:38PM

I know that JS sent some people to Canada to sell the copyright for the BoM. I can not find out why?
I own several copyrights for printed materials. If I sell them to someone I lose all rights. So here we have JS selling the copyright of a book that he translated from Golden Plates given by an angel. A book that several witnesses testified was true. He also stated it was the most perfect book. How could he even think about selling the copyright unless.......
it was a fraud.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: September 30, 2020 05:49PM

money

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: October 01, 2020 04:14AM

You can buy anything in this world with money.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: September 30, 2020 05:51PM

And yet he prophesied they would sell it. Elohim's desires seemed to have been quite negotiable in this matter. This was the occasion of perhaps my most favorite JS prophesy, when the sales team came home empty-handed:

"Some prophesies are of God.
Some prophesies are of men.
And other prophesies are of the Devil."

So true!

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: September 30, 2020 05:53PM

You're point of view is only valid if JoJu's restoration story is a lie.

If he made it all up, then the attempt to sell the Canadian copyright helps to confirm that the charade was all about making a buck.

If JoJu was telling the truth, then the "I know, I'll sell the copyright!" money-grab was just a tiny aberration, added to the entralling list of other aberrations, like joining the Methodists and getting a rep as a sexual predator, and all the money-digging adventures. Goodness, the list goes on and on!

You know, he wasn't perfect ... So it adds to the amazement that ghawd chose this flawed vessel as the cornerstone of the restored truth and that he was able to pull it off! What a guy, what a ghawd and what world!!!!

Posted by: logged out today ( )
Date: September 30, 2020 06:21PM

Letter by Hiram Page to William McLellin

"Joseph heard that there was a chance to sell a copy right in Canada for any useful book that was used in the States. Joseph thought this would be a good opportunity to get a hand on a sum of money which was to be (after the expenses were taken out) for the exclusive benefit of the Smith family and was to be at the disposal of Joseph. Accordingly Oliver Cowdery, Joseph Knight, Hiram Page and Joseph Stoel were chosen (as I understand by revelation) to do the business; we were living from 30 to 100 miles apart. The necessary preparation was made (by them) in a sly manner so as to keep Martin Harris from drawing a share of the money."

https://www.mrm.org/attempt-to-sell-copyright

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: September 30, 2020 06:32PM

Here are several contemporaneous accounts.

https://www.mrm.org/attempt-to-sell-copyright

Date: September 30, 2020 06:42PM

Ha! Beat you by 11 minutes!

Date: September 30, 2020 06:59PM

Curses, foiled again!

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: September 30, 2020 08:33PM

It's interesting to read FAIRmo's article on the Canada deal, with their usual "if it looks bad for the church we only have second- or third-hand accounts by enemies of the church" yadda yadda yadda.

Interestingly, they say: "Due to the dire financial position of the Church, he decided this could be an opportunity to relieve some of the financial pressure associated with publishing the Book of Mormon."

Am I mistaken, or wasn't the "church" founded after the Canada thing?

Date: September 30, 2020 08:37PM

Yes, the Canada gambit was in the autumn of 1829 and hence six months before the church was organized. And the fact that Smith wanted to earn money for himself and is family is well attested.

Date: September 30, 2020 09:13PM

"we only have second- or third-hand accounts by enemies of the church"

which is total BS. The MRM link above supplies a link directly to the JS Papers Project, approved by *the church itself*. It's Commandment #23 in the old Book of Commandments. No 2nd-3rd hand account here.

----

"Due to the dire financial position of the Church"

Kind of like his ill-fated trip to Salem in the D&C…

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: September 30, 2020 09:45PM

In Joseph's time copyright laws were very different. An American copyright did not prevent others from publishing and profiting from American Authors overseas.

Likewise selling the Canadian copyright would not stop Joseph from publishing in the US.

Case in point Mark Twain was hit financially when Tom Sawyer was published in Canada before it was published in the US. He actually moved to Canada prior to publishing The Prince and the Pauper so he could establish residency and obtain a Canadian Copyright.

Other authors published overseas first to get internationally protected copyrights.

I don't remember when the laws changed but at one point a copyright was for a limited time then reverted back to the author.

Each country was different throughout the 1800s.

Posted by: txrancher ( )
Date: September 30, 2020 10:26PM

Great response and makes sense, Heartless. Make a little money in another country and move on...

Date: September 30, 2020 11:09PM

But if he had sold the Canadian copyright, the new owner would have been entitled to make changes to the Canadian text — maybe resulting in a Canadian BOM and an American BOM with different "doctrines." (Ironic, considering his excuse for not re-translating the 116 pages.) In any event, JS would have been prohibited from selling his US-BOM in Canada, which as it turned out would have blown up the prospect of establishing the church in Canada at a later date.

Please correct me if I'm mistaken.

Date: September 30, 2020 11:26PM

I don't think that in 1829 JS expected his effort to produce a large and organized church. He'd only recently given up scrying and treasure hunting and joined the Methodist Church. I suspect at that point he wanted to sell the BoM copyright to enrich himself and his family.

If that is correct, then the church was Plan B or even Plan C.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: October 01, 2020 05:17PM

There were so many copyright changes in the US and abroad as different countries formed and broke pacts.

It was when studying Mark Twain that I learned about his books being stolen and printed outside the US. I believe Washington Irving would publish in England first then the US to insure his financial security.

I know the church revises the scriptures from time to time. Adding mostly to footnotes and headers, allowing it to "copyright" that edition. Keeping it out of public domain.

Posted by: JoeSmith666 ( )
Date: September 30, 2020 11:24PM

Heartless Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> In Joseph's time copyright laws were very
> different. An American copyright did not prevent
> others from publishing and profiting from American
> Authors overseas.
>
> Likewise selling the Canadian copyright would not
> stop Joseph from publishing in the US.
>
> Case in point Mark Twain was hit financially when
> Tom Sawyer was published in Canada before it was
> published in the US. He actually moved to Canada
> prior to publishing The Prince and the Pauper so
> he could establish residency and obtain a Canadian
> Copyright.
>
> Other authors published overseas first to get
> internationally protected copyrights.
>
> I don't remember when the laws changed but at one
> point a copyright was for a limited time then
> reverted back to the author.
>
> Each country was different throughout the 1800s.

--------------------------------

US Copyright law still holds the author/artist only holds the Copyright for a limited time. If you want to sue for Copyright infringement or such it is Federal Court and you have to have formally registered with the US Copyright Office. Without formal registration - no Federal Court will hear it.

Date: October 03, 2020 01:02PM

Similarly, Gilbert & Sullivan had so much trouble with their shows being ripped off in the USA that they premiered 'Pirates of Penzance' in New York to nail down the copyright.

Or something like that.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: October 01, 2020 02:55AM

I think he should have started with selling the 'lost' 116 pages.

Date: October 01, 2020 01:31PM

Aha! It was Old Man Canada who stole the 116 pages, and was going to steal the rest! And he would have gotten away with it too, if it hadn't been for those meddling kids!

Posted by: ufotofu ( )
Date: October 03, 2020 11:22AM

I've the information if you have the FUNDs. You go find the funds. I'll be right back.

While you're doing that, I'll tell you a story...

Once upon a time... Chloroform in print, mistakes, COPYING, redactions, errors, it kame tu pass... I GIVE UP. Let's sell this crap! Hmmm, AHA, Canada-

Dang, that didn't work... hmmm. AH, I will call it scripture (they'll believe anything) and start a 'church' around it. I'll then add other books to it (to make it all the more confusing, complicated and ridiculous) and even "translate" the holy bible!

Maybe newcomers to America will buy it. I'll send these dudes over there and marry their wives... These people will come to America and believe anything... ESPECIALLY if they bring 2 or More Women, and/ or & children (to indoctrinate, inoculate, and annihilate after taking all their time, money, thoughts and rights). I'll have access to all the women, wealth, & power I want.

Nobody wants to read this darn book anyway. I'll call it scripture and FORCE them read it!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.