Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Luvlyldy ( )
Date: October 02, 2020 08:29PM

So I resigned from the Mormon church two years ago. I still feel the need to be spiritual or religious (just not as LDS). Have any of you joined a new religion since quitting? If so which one and has it been helpful?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Knock3Times ( )
Date: October 02, 2020 11:54PM

As you know, Mormons believe that their supreme being simply gathered already existing items and simply put them together. I believe in a super supreme person that created everything!

Posted by: Knock3Times ( )
Date: October 02, 2020 11:57PM

Jesus is my God, and you are excellent and all of that!

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: October 03, 2020 12:46AM

You wish to replace one cancer with another ?

Posted by: Mother Who Knows ( )
Date: October 03, 2020 01:06AM

Over the years, I have reverted to my childhood Bible training, and have accepted the teachings of Christ. I sometimes question what "God" is. In my experience many Mormons are left without a full knowledge of God and/or the Holy Ghost and/or the Son of God and exactu what those are.

Other religions and pholosophies have great teachings, also, as does good literature and poetry. Buddhism offers a wonderful, peaceful way to live. I could write pages--so to sum up--explore on your own, study other religions, create your own philosophy of life and life it. Just don't break the laws of the land, or harm others.

Love
The Golden Rule
The Ten Commandments

You get what I mean.

There are as many Gods as there are people. God is something each one of us creates in our own mind.

As for JOINING another church, religion, or cult--Mormonism has soured me on that, probably for the rest of my life. I celebrate various holidays--Christmas, Christmas Eve Candlelight Service, Easter Sunday, funerals, church weddings, Bar Mitzvas, etc. with friends and family. You can celebrate without actually JOINING anything. Likewise, you can donate (I donate often to the Jewish Community Center) without JOINING and committing 10% of your salary for life, which is ridiculous.

When my children and I left Mormonism, they still liked to sing in the lutheran children's choir and go to the 2 week Bible day-school in our neighborhood. When my boys got a little older, they joined a multi-denominational Boy Scout troop with their school friends, and got their Eagle Scout awards. My girls made friends in dance, gymnastics, school sports. They didn't take seminary, and took a real interest in school.

Sundays became family day, to sleep in, have a special breakfast, then go skiing, hiking, biking, hiking together, and do last minute homework.

Mormonism didn't leave an empty space in our life, to fill up, like a hole. Quitting Mormonism opened more doors for us, and made us busier than ever, doing things we felt were more satisfying, fun, and worthwhile.

Enjoy your freedom!

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: October 03, 2020 02:15AM

I joined a nice little LIBERAL Presbyterian (USA) church not far from where I lived a few years ago. The young minister is super-smart, and the community is nice. I haven't been attending since they moved worship back to 9:30, which is just too early for me.

If they would add the 11:00 spot they used to have, I'd be there in a heartbeat. It was a nice congregation. I grew up as a Presbyterian (USA) so this church was a comfortable fit, and they made DH (Mormon-but-inactive) feel welcome at the monthly retired men's breakfast for a long time.

I'm just getting too old, creaky and breakable to fret about getting this old body to church on time any more, pandemic notwithstanding.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: October 03, 2020 02:48AM

Exmos who choose to join another church or religion go a variety of ways. I would recommend if you want to try another Christian denomination to give the following churches a whirl: Episcopalian, Methodist (UMC,) Presbyterian (PCUSA,) and ELCA Lutheran. There are others. In mainstream Christianity, it's considered perfectly okay to go church-shopping for a lengthy bit of time. You look for a good fit of minister and the church community. You can attend for as long as you wish without formally joining. You don't need to donate money the first time you go, but it's considered good form to throw something in the donation box or plate if you start to attend regularly.

I would just avoid the more conservative/controlling churches and denominations. Most churches do not demand a 10% tithe. I would say that average donation is in the range of 1-3% of income, and that's determined by you. Independent churches go both ways -- some are great, and some are terrible. You can also try the UUs if you want something more freeform.

Posted by: Luvlyldy ( )
Date: October 03, 2020 03:51AM

Thanks everyone for your replies! I am a very spiritual person with a strong belief in God and maybe for now that’s enough. Maybe there’s no need to join any specific church. I was considering Catholicism for a bit but it has a lot of rules lol. Nothing wrong with that or it I just don’t understand. Anyways I am glad for this little community to discuss these things! Thanks again y’all!

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: October 03, 2020 08:53AM

Church visits would do no harm if you just want to see how other people do things. If Catholicism attracts you, I would try the Episcopal church instead. It is very similar to the Catholic church, but more relaxed, and more equitable to women.

Keep in mind that mainstream Christians do not always do things with 100% fidelity. It's a different mindset than you would find in Mormonism, and IMO is often the hardest concept to convey to someone who has been Mormon.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 03, 2020 04:04AM

"Light a candle in the darkness. If enough people do this, before you know it, we can make shadow puppets."

--Judic West, during his first arson trial, as part of his closing statement

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: October 03, 2020 09:48AM

Spirituality is not dependent on religion for its existence but does often survive in spite of religion.

Deepest thoughts and feelings should not be manacled with the platitudes of others though they can spark understanding. A few words here and there from Mark Twain did me more good than sitting in any pew ever did.

Perhaps find a community church that has bake sales and does some good in the community. One that doesn't judge. One that doesn't entice you with rewards. You are already spiritual, but community can be nice to add to that.

Posted by: Heidi GWOTR ( )
Date: October 03, 2020 10:22AM

If you're not sure if you believe in Jesus, United Universalist is a good choice. They take in everyone and the one near us has really inspiring sermons.

There are also Pagan groups (I'm one) that you usually can connect with through your local metaphysical book/supply shops.

Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: October 03, 2020 12:43PM

God died on 9-11.
The "Heavenly Father" I once knew and loved, intervened at times of crisis, answered prayers, at times like 9-11.
My God died when my fellow man prayed the most fervent prayer ever uttered, with flames at his back and a 87 floor fall in front of him.
My God died when that man splattered all over the sidewalk. And a pigeon shit on Him.
Like Ellie Weisel in Auschwitz, I saw God die. Right before my God Damned Eyes.
I quit using all labels except the ones I earned, Father, Husband, Professional, writer, artist,
on 9-11.
I also have to identify as a white male American, resident of a particular place.
But quit calling ourselves Catholics, protestants liberals and conservatives, all sets up an antagonistic relationship.
I don't care for that Troglodyte behavior. We need to evolve.
Because of tribalism, which will get us all killed
if we are so evil
And foolish.
Choose wisely my fellow traveler.
If you meet the Budha on the road,

https://www.pewforum.org/2009/02/04/religious-differences-on-the-question-of-evolution/

Kill him.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/03/2020 12:54PM by schrodingerscat.

Date: October 03, 2020 12:47PM

Fewer words were never said...

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: October 03, 2020 03:00PM

Fewer words were ever said.

Date: October 03, 2020 03:20PM

Fewer ..

Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: October 03, 2020 03:34PM

Date: October 03, 2020 03:36PM

Date: October 03, 2020 05:50PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/03/2020 05:50PM by Lot's Wife.

Posted by: Hk112358 ( )
Date: October 03, 2020 01:50PM

I tried Christianity, as one encounters Jesus of Nazareth on the pages of the New Testament.

I realized Christianity is really Greco-Roman Christian culture, which probably reach a pinnacle in 1914 Germany. Morality, Arts, Music, Opera, Science, Technology, Economy and many others.
All downhill since then.

St. John made Christianity a Greco-Roman religion, when he starts his Gospel “In the beginning was the Logos.”

I don’t fault anyone for their politics, but my conservative views, made it difficult to find a modern congregation that is not infiltrated with Cultural Marxism.

I am a Christian without a congregation.

The basics are these (I did not originate this):
Throughout my life, I have heard the thought-stopping responses by people who say born-again Christians think they are saved, and they can therefore do anything they want, meaning they can wantonly sin.

(1) Are Christians forgiven?
(2) If so, why are they judged?
(3) What does God expect of the born-again Christian?

(1)Are Christians forgiven of all their past and future sins?
Yes.
How many of your sins had you yet committed as Jesus hung on the cross?  
All of them!

“Therefore there is no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.  For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus had made me free from the law of sin and death.” (Romans 8:1-2). Read through verse 17 to get the whole picture, in which the Law [of Moses] is no more.

Jesus said unto the woman taken in adultery, “neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more.” John 8:11

“I write unto you, little children, because your sins are forgiven for his name’s sake.” 1 John 2:12

“For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;” 1 Cor. 15:3

“Who gave himself for our sins, that he might deliver us from this present evil world according to the will of God and our Father:” Gal. 1:4

(2) If Christians are forgiven, why are they judged?
Because we will get a reward.
You are judged, because you are free to act, and to “continue in [His] word ... and ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free....” John 8:31-32. Although you are forgiven of your sins and saved in His kingdom, you will be judged and rewarded according to how you live in freedom.

“So then every one of us shall give account of himself to God.” Rom 14:12

“For other foundation can no man lay than that is laid, which is Jesus Christ. Now if any man build upon this foundation gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, stubble; Every man’s work shall be made manifest: for the day shall declare it, because it shall be revealed by fire; and the fire shall try every man’s work of what sort it is. If any man’s work abide which he hath built thereupon he shall receive a reward.” 1 Cor 3:11-15

“Knowing that whatsoever good thing any man doeth, the same shall he receive of the Lord, whether he be bond or free.” Ephesians 6:8

“Therefore judge nothing before the time, until the Lord come, who both will bring to light the hidden things of darkness, and will make manifest the counsels of the hearts: and then shall every man have praise of God.” 1Cor 4:5

“In my Father’s house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you.” John 14:2

“...and the dead were judged out of those things that were written in the books, according to their works.”  Rev 20:12

We are not judged and then everyone gets the same reward.

We can receive five crowns.
The Victor’s crown. 1 Cor 9:25-27
A crown of Rejoicing. 1 Thess 2:19
A crown of Righteousness. 2 Tim 4:8
A crown of Glory. 1 Pet 5:4
A crown of Life. Jas 1:12

(3) What does God expect of the born-again Christian?
We are created unto good works!

“For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that w should walk in them.”  Eph 2:10

Are any particular good works taught?
Yes!
Read the entire Sermon on the Mount, Matthew 5-7:23, with the explanation from Jesus (verse 24 “Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock ...” (Matthew 7:24).

Now go forth, knowing you are saved in God’s kingdom and you have the freedom to live as you will, but also knowing you are created and intended by God to live unto good works.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: October 03, 2020 03:13PM

Unitarianism is the True Way. Or anything else, for that matter. But Unitarianism is, at the very least, fun and interesting, plus there's the fact that you gain a family.

Date: October 03, 2020 03:41PM

Date: October 03, 2020 03:44PM

You damn Benthamite!

Date: October 03, 2020 03:45PM

How often do men compliment your lisp?

Date: October 04, 2020 12:46AM

Not often, Jethuth.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: October 03, 2020 03:45PM

That's that really slippery mud in Wyoming, right?

ETA: I'm probably being way too obscure. Bentonite is really really slippery when it is wet. Wyoming is lousy with the stuff.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/03/2020 03:47PM by Brother Of Jerry.

Date: October 04, 2020 12:47AM

Brother Of Jerry Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Bentonite is really really slippery . . .

So is utilitarianism!

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: October 03, 2020 03:44PM

I had zero interest in a new religion, and am as atheist as they come. I was interested in a new community of people I more or less agreed with. As cludgie put it, "plus there's the fact that you gain a family." I particularly like Gloria Steinem's phrase, "chosen family."

That worked for me. To some extent even RFM constitutes "chosen family"

Posted by: Betty G ( )
Date: October 03, 2020 05:16PM

As a Never-Mo I think you may have several options, depending on how strongly you want to have religion or certain types of values in your life.

A. I'm Southern Baptist (that's what they are still known as, though the convention is changing it's name, or attempting to). They are ultra conservative, very similar to Mormons, but very different as well. The basic belief is that if you accept the Lord into your heart, and accept him, you will have a mighty change of heart and be saved. This means you have accepted his grace that he freely gives, accepts his sacrifice and his gift to you of life in heaven, and because of this accept his gift of salvation. If your heart is turned to him, you seek to follow him and his commandments, but nothing is really forced upon you. You do it of your own desires and free will.

Some of the Southern Baptist can get rather overbearing though, and sometimes can almost resemble Mormons (or harsher) in some of their expectations. No Baptist Church is really governed by another, so it is important to find one that fits you, rather than just going to one.

Southern Baptist are seen somewhat as the FAR extremes, but tend to be very religious. They aren't big on massive ceremonies or "works" like the Catholics, but some have extreme views.

Baptist tend to have a Bible first tradition, where it is strict reading of the Bible and adherence to it for doctrine and teachings.

B. Far more relaxed, and easier to get along with, though a few more ceremonies are the Methodists. They are wonderful people, focusing more on traditions and the idea that one should love their neighbor. They have strong similarities to their other Protestant neighbors, but to me seem to be more relaxed about indivdual obedience and rather look to love someone rather than judge them.

C. On the far end are the Unitarian Universalists. They are extremely relaxed, and accept almost any belief. They support one's religious seeking, but seek to help each individual on their own faith seeking journey rather than dictate it like other religions. In these congregations you can believe basically as you want and feel support of the rest of those in the Church.

D. Perhaps you are not even seeking a Christian outlet, I'm not too knowlegeable about other religious paths such as Buddhism or Islam, but they normally have mosques or other places of worship in major cities.

Buddhism I think is more about spirituality rather than worshipping a specific deity or work. It is about moderation and control over one's owns appetites and desires. At least that's what I understand on it.

Whatever you choose, I hope you find a place where you belong. I think that's the most important, to find a place where you feel you belong and your personal beliefs can blossom.

Posted by: ufotofu ( )
Date: October 04, 2020 12:19AM

Nope! Just went back to the one I started, AT BIRTH.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.