Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: October 05, 2020 07:34PM

Not sure what else to add. Sex- and tithing- seems to be the only defining feature of the institution. There is no theology any more. There is certainly no mysticism, and self-discovery is condemned with all their might. Is that the best they can come up with?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 05, 2020 07:44PM

For reasons I won't go into, I just read the Wikipedia entry on Kolob.

I don't think mormons are equipped to do "Theolomagy", as my personal idol, Homer Simpson, would say. (Okay, Homer is no Einstein, but more people know "D'oh" than "E=McHammer".)

Is there any mormon theology that has not been bent over and thoroughly rogered?

This leaves mormonism with women's knees, bosoms, shoulders, and earlobes, where mormon theology shines bright again. Also, white shirts and no beards for men.

There, mormon theology lesson done!

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: October 05, 2020 07:56PM

Cliff's Notes Theology:

Catholicism is about making The Nicest Guy Who Ever Lived suffer even more.

Judaism is about food.

Mormonism is about sex.

Mainstream Protestantism is about weed-free lawns and Robert's Rules of Order

I don't know what Evangelical Protestantism is about. It seems a jumbled mess at the moment.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: October 05, 2020 08:17PM

Evangelicals worry about "sin." Not just their sins, but yours and everybody else's. They fear Sky Daddy will punish them for what you do and allowing "sin" to happen and they fear Sky Daddy will blame them.

But what they call "sin" involves racism and bigotry in their version of "normality." They take Genesis literally and see themselves as having "dominion over all the fishes of the sea and the beasts of the Earth." Their religion grew out of an eighteenth century justification for slavery -- a spiritual "escape valve" as it were.

In their view, as long as they are in charge and they have free reign to run the world "free of sin" as they think it should be, Sky Daddy will be happy when he comes back home, none of the kids will get a beating, and everything will be "happy."

If you think this sounds like something you'd here from the Taliban, you'd be right. It's the same.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/2020 11:17PM by anybody.

Posted by: EXON46 ( )
Date: October 08, 2020 07:53PM

Evangelicals seem to be all about hell and how to get there and who will be there. And getting naked and flying into the air to meet jeebus.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: October 05, 2020 10:42PM

Lol! I would say Catholicism is about guilt. You are a very bad person, and full of sin, but don't worry, if you hang your head in shame, the priest will wave his hand and utter some mumbo-jumbo, and make it all better. Bonus: Your fellow church members are no better than you are, so you might as well all lift a pint and be miserable sinners together. That's Catholicism in a nutshell.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: October 05, 2020 10:56PM

> Lol! I would say Catholicism is about guilt.

Really? I thought that was Judaism--or Islam. . .

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: October 06, 2020 01:09PM

Yes, the religions of the desert are about guilt, but it comes in different flavors.

Catholic guilt is about how could you make The Nicest Guy Who Ever Lived suffer even more?

Jewish guilt is about how could you do this to the family? I suspect that applies to Islam as well.

Mormon guilt is about how could you do this to the organization?

Of course there is substantial overlap. Guilt is ecumenical.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: October 08, 2020 02:30AM

It's an interesting question.

"Sin" was really a Jewish invention. Other religions have ritual cleanliness and codes of conduct, but if a Buddhist or Taoist or animist does something wrong there is no angry God in the sky who is going to punish her forever. It is so easy for people to differentiate between Christianity, Judaism and Islam as if they are radically different religions but they are not. They are family, and sin and guilt are two of the common elements.

Posted by: ufotofu ( )
Date: October 08, 2020 01:37AM

No, it's mormonism.

Posted by: macaRomney ( )
Date: October 08, 2020 04:09AM

The essential must have item for every evangelical back in the day was to have a really big car that guzzled the gas, you weren't Southern without a monstrous Crown Vic, or Buick Lasabre, Lincoln or Cadillac (Though Cadillacs were the favorite of the Blacks). It was taboo and Sissy to have a foreign economy car.

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: October 08, 2020 05:45AM

For Mormons it was an SUV.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: October 09, 2020 01:32AM

I love it. It's true. Especially the one about Protestants. It's brilliant.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: October 06, 2020 11:45AM

Posted by: guy34 ( )
Date: October 06, 2020 01:20PM

Maybe once society as a whole gets beyond sex. Meaning never.

Posted by: ufotofu ( )
Date: October 08, 2020 01:34AM

Sex IS 'tithing' to them. SEX means NUMEROUS tithe payers later on. More Sex = More Money to them.

So, see, it can't get beyond sex because it's all it thinks about. Blanking the members...

It doesn't care about you. All it wants is your MONEY, and your Time, forever. AND your family's time, all the time - and money (most of it). And THEIR Family's ATTENTION, , Thoughts, Feelings...

It doesn't want people to have sex because they might have it all. They might even have a ball. They might roll, or bounce!

It wants to get into your bedroom so it can get into your sacred wild secrets.

Without your privacy, it has nothing. Without your attention/ time/ faith, it has zilch. Without your money, it has nada.

So see, it needs secrets of sacred sex in order to get under your bed and into your head before it's dead.

Without your money, and secrets, mormonism is DEAD. It's dead anyway, but you catch my drift.

P.S.
Spell check, again!
I Fix IT. Hah! It's supposed to fix me... but I'm not the one broken!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/2020 05:41AM by ufotofu.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: October 08, 2020 06:41PM

I have added an S to the control word B I T E
S
Behavior
Information
Thought
Emotion

and last but not least sex!
the urge to reproduce is the strongest thing a human has.
Control that you control everything!!!!!!!!!!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/2020 06:44PM by thedesertrat1.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: October 08, 2020 08:34PM

Mormonism is based on sex and greed.
That's why Joseph Smith started it, and that's why Brigham Young continued it.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: October 09, 2020 06:33PM

They will never disavow polygamy because that would break the prophet schtick. If you can’t see the emperor’s beautiful clothes, you’re not spiritual enough.

LDS plays into my theory that organizations are anchored to their roots. In this case, Joseph’s testicles.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2020 06:34PM by bradley.

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: October 10, 2020 11:09AM

They need something to make even the good people feel sinful, unworthy and broken and therefore in need of the church to keep them on the path. The reason they call unauthorized sex the sin next to murder is that almost no one murders but they want you to feel like you're that evil. And in case you're a totally asexual person, and they can't get you feeling sinful because of your biological urges, they also invented the Sin Against the Holy Ghost.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: October 11, 2020 11:54PM

No.

It NEEDS sex.

Caffeine couldn't do it on its own.

INVASION OF PRIVACY

Guilt

DARKNESS

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.