Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: October 06, 2020 02:55PM

My wife woke up today and went into panic mode after finding that the freezer had quit working and the food packed inside was in a state of serious thaw. After looking at the potential price to get it fixed we decided on a new one and went optimistically to the local appliance store. Oh what delusional fools we were. They were totally out as was every other outlet that we could think of to find one. Covid-19 strikes again and in unexpected ways but we will soldier on not letting it take over our lives. It's just like the flu, we are told, except I don't remember the flu causing empty shelves in the stores.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: October 06, 2020 02:59PM

did you check facebook marketplace? i just looked and where i live there are dozens available from old, shitty & busted to brand new in the box.

Posted by: iceman9090 ( )
Date: October 06, 2020 03:01PM

+kentish:
When did you buy it?
It is my understanding that anything built in 2000 and after is suppose to fail in 5 y.

I have a freezer from 1980 and a refrigerator from 1984. The refrigerator had a mechanical part that needed replacing in 1992.

~~~~iceman9090

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/06/2020 03:02PM by iceman9090.

Posted by: Kentish ( )
Date: October 06, 2020 04:45PM

It's probably been about 6 or 7 years ago. We just called R.C Willey, big name in the intermountain ares, to ask if we could order one. Sure can but it won't be here till January.

Posted by: Bobik43 nli ( )
Date: October 06, 2020 06:57PM

FWIW, we decided to buy one about six weeks ago. We have a connection at RC Willey and we were able to get one there, but had to wait a few days for it.

While waiting, we saw that Costco was selling a 7 cu. ft. Chinese made model for a good price. (I saw one guy buy six of them, presumably to resell.) They had some in stock last week, (now with a limit of one per member). BTW, I'm in Utah.

Just a few days after our new freezer stocked and running, a windstorm caused a three day power outage and everything in it thawed out, but that's another story. So now I'm looking at portable generators...

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: October 06, 2020 04:19PM

time for a cook out ~

like a hurricane party ~

someone light the grill ~

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: October 06, 2020 04:28PM

Well, we're fresh out of freezers. . .

Could we interest you in a horse?

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: October 06, 2020 05:26PM

That happened to us also, about a month ago. We apparently purchased one of the only two uprights in the Salt Lake area.

Yeah. COVID has consequences.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: October 06, 2020 06:06PM

I recently saw some at Smith's. It was in their larger store that has furniture, etc.

Posted by: Leona's Fiend ( )
Date: October 06, 2020 06:15PM

When the spit hit the fan back in April and May, those living in upscale urban areas fled to their summer "camps" and "cottages" in the country. Like the Hamptons.

The first thing they did was strip bare the shelves in local stores. Not just TP--everything! Then they bought out freezers and storage systems. Local tradesmen were busy installing and wiring them, also winterizing and adding room extensions.

So that's what you're dealing with, Kentish. Also hard to find (priced at $350-500 over retail) are firearms and ammo. Ammo is backordered into mid-2021. NHow does a gun protect you against a mostly peaceful virus?

I'm on the waiting list for three contractors at my son's woodland property 80 miles or so from the city--were rents are down 25-33%. One contractor's best availability estimate: late summer 2021.

Kentish: can family and neighbors who could take portions of your frozen items? Perhaps there's a commercial service?

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: October 06, 2020 07:01PM

I've gone my entire adult life without a separate freezer and have never missed it.

Simplify.

Posted by: Kentish ( )
Date: October 06, 2020 09:40PM

Found one online at Costco. Will be shipped in a day or two.

Posted by: The Frozen Chosen ( )
Date: October 06, 2020 11:59PM

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: October 07, 2020 12:51AM

Fire and Ice

"Some say the world will end in fire,
Some say in ice.
From what I’ve tasted of desire
I hold with those who favor fire.
But if it had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate
To say that for destruction ice
Is also great
And would suffice."

Robert Frost

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.