Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: pollythinks ( )
Date: October 10, 2020 08:37PM

Any body like free things as much as I---that is, without a trick ending to them?

Yesterday early morning, I took my usual stroll on my block. I sit on a handy wall (owner approved), before heading back home. (I give her free fruit when in season, lemons or oranges.)

Well, yesterday I happened to notice a very nice chair in the alley I cross to get to my sitting place, and low and behold, there was a "like new" cushioned dinning rm. chair waiting just for me (no arm rests).

Also, in my neighborhood, frequently things no longer of use to someone, are put at the curb for whom-ever else might like to pick it up. For instance, I contributed a yard rake, and an old beat-up wheelberal (I kept a newer one I own).

Anyone else get freebees once in a while--including such as in the mail, where yesterday I was sent a patriotic tee-shirt, and I am often gifted with free home calender's?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: October 10, 2020 08:57PM

about those free calendars...I send them a donation every once in a while...same with the address labels that have now supplied me with enough to wallpaper my house with them.The other day, I got a letter from one of these organizations asking me to send the donation NOW and THEN I will get the calendar. Things must be tough everywhere. I must admit it was easier to throw that away since there was no actual calendar to make me feel a little selfish for using it without donating.

And yes, every once in a while there is something left at the curb in our neighborhood with a "free" sign on it that we've repurposed. And it is amazing the things that people take from our pile of bulk waste sitting waiting for the pickup team.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: October 10, 2020 09:26PM

If you want free furniture just cruise the dumpsters of apartment complexes. *LOL*

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: October 10, 2020 11:36PM

August 30-31 is like Christmas. Clean-out day, (plus a week or so before or after). Good sheets, books, TONS of clothes. Working computers. Cleaning products. Kitchen stuff. And food. FOOD! I walk the neighborhood with canvas bags and come home with a shopping cart of unopened cereals, cans, jars, etc. A slightly used but otherwise clean box of oatmeal might be salvageable.

I had two tenancies terminate this year. I probably got a few hundred dollars worth of groceries. Pasta and sauce, especially.

You think today's collegians are eco-enlightened? Think again. Hardly any of them recycle or donate unwanted items. I take loads of stuff to Goodwill, and take the tax deduction. Then there are the cans and bottles at a nickel each...

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: October 11, 2020 08:05AM

In my college town, May and June were the best times to look for furniture. The college students would leave it at the curb for pickup.

Posted by: ookami ( )
Date: October 11, 2020 02:16PM

I too live in a college town and worked a few summers for my apartment complex cleaning out units. Towards the end of August, it's a dumpster diver's wet dream. I got my hands on a dining table (only needed to be scrubbed), four dining room chairs that matched, a coffee table, a pretty nice seat for the living room, and some dried food all in one summer.

The only problems I have are my lack of transportation for salvage (I only have a bicycle and a bus pass), other scavengers beating me to the good stuff, and the occasional salvage that isn't worth saving. I once had to help throw out a mini fridge that someone had left outside with a jug of milk and some ground beef(?) in it for who knows how long. I still have nightmares about the smell.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: October 11, 2020 02:04AM

I like free bees.
FREE BEERS are nice too!

Where are the bees?
Where are the birds?

We used to go to a 'free store'. That's what we called it. That what it was. Everything was free and you'd find the coolest things. Great place to donate stuff. Sometimes someone would be wearing something and you'd say "I know where you got that". Now they charge reasonable prices and you still always find the best practically free, and sometimes still free, stuff.

There are lovely Little Free Libraries all about...

Something new this year: little free food pantries. They are popping up everywhere.

I give things away periodically. Next week I'm offering someone a (spare) food dehydrator. In exchange, they are offering me classes or materials in sail making. I'm not popeye but a sailor man I yam.

I gave someone an extra sleeping pad (think Thermarest, but industrial duty) for their cot just the other day.

I'm giving a few friends - and strangers - some gifts, finds, and scores next week: socks, gloves, foodstuffs, (fun) napkins, halloween treats... Sometimes directly, and other times placement in a free pile, corner or community donation box.

Around town at any given time there are dozens of bins, corners, or piles. I found a table (ole friends-old neighbors) this summer and a chair just waiting for a new home (for the porch).

Speaking of free bees. Have you ever heard of babies? Those are bees near the bay. Absolutely stunning. You can quote me on that.

M@t

Posted by: Heidi GWOTR ( )
Date: October 11, 2020 02:26PM

One thing I love is https://www.freecycle.org/ In order to use it, you have to promise that you're not going to sell the item later, and yes they do check. People give away things for free and you can pick these things up. I've posted things that I want to get rid of before and others have snatched them up. Usually, you just put them on your porch, or if you'd rather you can meet up in a public place. The folks that use this site are really nice, and it's a wonderful way to free-recycle your items.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.