Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: October 24, 2020 02:14PM

Playing the religion card again
================================

"The National Park Service has approved a permit for an evangelical “worship protest” gathering this weekend on the National Mall in Washington DC, which is expected to attract 15,000 attendees amid the coronavirus pandemic.

Sean Feucht, a singer and former Republican congressional candidate, will host the event as part of his “Let Us Worship” tour. He’s held the tour in cities across America amid the coronavirus pandemic to protest Covid-19 restrictions against religious gatherings."

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: October 24, 2020 03:40PM

85,085 new cases of COVID-19 in a single day in the US of A (yesterday).

Here in BC, Canada, our new case count yesterday was 223 in the province, many more than our numbers a few weeks ago. Even with such a relatively small-seeming increase, we are concerned due to the highly contagious nature of the virus. Those 223 can unknowingly infect several more people each and so on and so on until you have a major outbreak.

Our public health officer has stated that the most common activities causing spread are weddings, funerals and celebrations of life, where up to 50 attend (the maximum recommended). Sometimes the gatherings are including even more than 50. Even with masks and distancing protocols, if adopted, the infection is spreading throughout attendees. In a neighbouring province, at a recent wedding that had 63 guests, over 50 contracted the virus. Who would want their biggest most special day to be overshadowed by the memory of family members and guests being sickened, and even dying, due to the invisible, lurking omnipresent virus?

I just heard this morning that over 30 local firefighters are dealing with having been potentially exposed recently due to inadvertent contact with an infected firefighter at a hockey game they participated in. All have to isolate and likely some in their families as well as other co-workers. What anxiety and loss to the community, not to mention their loved ones, as some of them, at least, are out of action for a couple of weeks now. When I get feeling so very tired of the restrictions and cautions and care we have to take in our every dealing these days, I think of young, active, healthy, strong, vital folks like cops and firefighters being struck down by the virus and it reminds me to be vigilant and patient because if they are susceptible, so too are we all. And the outcome for many of us may be worse than we could possibly imagine.

To me, it's a mathematical thing. Perhaps people who don't believe in some aspects of the cautions being recommended by medical experts can get behind the numbers game. The more people crammed together in tight spaces without masks or distancing (or even with masks if distancing is not possible - masks don't bestow magical powers but are only one potential preventive measure among others that should be taken) then the more potential for spread there is. It has been estimated that each person with COVID can potentially infect up to at least 3 others. So if there are 10 asymptomatic carriers of COVID in one gathering of 100 people the possibility is that they can infect 30 or more people at that gathering. Those 30 go out and spread the virus to 90 others, and so on. That is what they mean by exponential growth. Soon after, if this pattern continues, you can reach the point where the contagion will be difficult to contain. That is why, at least here in BC, the public health folks are so concerned and daily give reminders to keep the numbers low so we can contain the spread. This is partly to ensure hospitals can cope with demand for beds, especially in ICU, but also, obviously, to try and keep as many people as possible from contracting CV in the first place.

It makes perfect sense to me. I don't get why people balk at following public health guidance. Sure, I miss going to church if/when I wish to, and definitely miss visiting friends and family. I don't like that even doing basic necessity shopping feels fraught with potential danger. It's anxiety provoking and fatiguing. But we're in the position of having to mark time, staying as safe as possible by simple measures (masking, distancing, hygiene), until a vaccine is developed and produced and available. At least there are steps we can take to hopefully keep ourselves safe and that gives us a large degree of control, which is a calming thought. It would be worse if we were just total sitting ducks, prey to a merciless contagion against which we had no defence.

I don't see it as a clamp-down on religious liberty. And I don't see that banning large gatherings is infringing on religious rights, as that ban applies to all large gatherings, not just religious meetings. (With the obvious exception, it seems of some political events).

The largest problem that exists, it seems, is people not trusting science. Funny how that comes full circle, with the head-butting that exists already in many quarters between science and religion.

It's generally recognized (is it not?) that personal liberty stops when it comes to the greater good in societies. You do have the freedom to worship as you will, at least in democracies. However, not at the expense of spreading a deadly virus to the general community.

I do not understand why that is so difficult for many to comprehend. Nobody's "freedom", religious or otherwise, supercedes the fact that the larger community good must be paramount.

Sure, you can attend a packed church service to gratify your spiritual need, if such is the source of gratification for you. But how is that acceding to the greater good if you end up infecting others because you're carrying the virus for which there is no known cure or vaccine at present? Isn't religion supposed to be about loving one another? Isn't the second great commandment: Love your neighbour as yourself? Would you give yourself COVID if you could avoid it? Likely not. So why would you take a chance on spreading it to a "neighbour" (anyone who unknowingly crosses your path while you are a potential spreader)?

Not. Very. Loving.

It is eminently possible to worship one's god without grouping together and chancing transmitting pathogens to each other and thereby to others who are more closely following guidelines and doing their best to continue living virus-free, protecting themselves, their loved ones and those in their community.

The world is not always all about one's individual rights. In times of trouble, we need to come together and look out for each other. Not beef about upholding our supposed "rights". We do not have the right to harm others. That's pretty basic. And it's not very religiously admirable to constantly insist otherwise.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/24/2020 03:48PM by Nightingale.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: October 24, 2020 04:14PM

Our numbers in Alberta are spiking too. Churches, manufacturing plants and schools are hot spots...and I know people who still think it's a scam or a leftist plot? Idiots. Just found out a family member has tested positive.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: October 24, 2020 04:27PM

Lethbridge Reprobate Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Our numbers in Alberta are spiking too. Churches,
> manufacturing plants and schools are hot
> spots...and I know people who still think it's a
> scam or a leftist plot? Idiots. Just found out a
> family member has tested positive.

Oh no, LR, re your family member. I hope they are OK. And that there is no risk to you.

There aren't a lot of churches open here. Many went online. It's a tough time of year to be shut, with pre-Christmas vibes in the air already. It's a time when we're usually preparing for charity events and collecting gifts for kids as well as food for the season. CV is making everything so much more complicated and time-consuming. Melancholy is kind of in the air a bit too. A longing for pre-CV times when you didn't have to think about every single action and just went about your busy days.

We've got a few clusters in some schools but not enough to think of shutting down again. Teachers and parents remain concerned, not surprisingly.

Plants here too are risky, with some outbreaks. Also, very worryingly, hospitals. I live between our two biggest health regions in the province, where most of the cases in BC at the moment are being reported. It makes me extra nervous and cautious when shopping for instance and I am avoiding health care venues altogether as much as possible. I went to a local hospital a few weeks ago to pick up a family member after a procedure and just a few days later an outbreak was declared there. It sure startled me. I was so glad I had only been inside for a few minutes, hadn't had to go into the bowels of the place (but rather, a clinic near the front door) and that I was wearing a mask and touching nothing, and so was everyone else.

I'm tentatively counting the months to Spring, thinking maybe that's when there will be a vaccine. For now, I can only do my best at prevention by constantly observing all the recommendations ("it only takes a second" of letting your guard down to get infected, the medics are constantly reminding us) and also getting a flu shot this season - not my favourite thing but I read that having flu can cause one to be even more susceptible to contracting COVID-19. Also, I don't want to ever get flu again in my life. My horrible fluishness over Christmas 2018 was quite enough to last me forever, thankyouverymuch. And if COVID is worse than flu, as they say (and I believe) then flu shot here I come.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 24, 2020 05:15PM

"We know this covid-19 thing is phony! Now we just got to figure out what's making so many people sick!!"

--A Real, Proud, American of Genuine American Heritage

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: October 24, 2020 06:58PM

Oh, wonderful. Like we need any more Coronavirus in the mid-Atlantic. What a bunch of idiots, who would sponsor and/or come to a large gathering on the Mall. What, are there not enough people to infect in his own patch of woods? He has to travel east to do that? What a complete jerk.

Posted by: Kentish ( )
Date: October 25, 2020 09:06AM

Still hearing the argument that we have more cases because we test more. It has almost become an indicator of how people are going to vote. We have more cases because more people are getting sick!

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: October 25, 2020 10:56AM

Headline : "Health officials drop hammer on Charlotte church that triggered super spreader"

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.