Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: BeenThereDunnThatExMo ( )
Date: October 31, 2020 12:19AM

...& I mean the VERY LAST time you participated in ANY kind of ordinance inside ANY Haunted Mansion!!!

Me...St. George for a Wedding in '81.

You???

Enquiring minds wanna know!!!

Or so it seems to me...

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: October 31, 2020 12:39AM

I got in trouble in the Salt Lake temple for flipping off a security camera. I didn't think anyone would be watching the video feed. Yup. They were watching.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: October 31, 2020 01:07AM

Ogden circa 1988. Sealing.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 31, 2020 04:43AM

My very own temple marriage at the end of the 1968 BYU school year, in the St. George holy house.

Posted by: Fascinated in the Midwest ( )
Date: October 31, 2020 08:59AM

Nauvoo Temple - public open house as an unknowing but curious non-church-attending individual.

Came away even more curious, read a lot about the Mormons (which they called themselves then) and found this site, ending up "Fascinated..."

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: October 31, 2020 10:04AM

Provo/Orem Temple 1973ish. Went with a student ward group in order to keep up the front and not get kicked out of the Y. Previously had only been to the SLC and Manti temples being mesmerized by the "very gripping" live play!

First time in as a non-believer and the folding chair theater style video was a shock, framing the ridiculous factor nicely. And the architecture of the temple itself! Everyone kept saying how beautiful it was and inspired. Huh????

The obligatory chorus of "I felt the spirit so strong today!" on the way out still rings in my ears.

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: October 31, 2020 12:00PM

Several years ago I went to the Provo temple because some relatives were having an adopted child 'sealed' to them. Turned out the real action was in the parking lot. I pulled in to a parking spot which the driver of the car behind me apparently thought belonged to him. The old fella driving the car was really angry using non temple appropriate language, I really thought he was going to club me with his little suitcase full of temple clothes. He didn't get any happier when I just walked away.

Posted by: SoCal Apostate ( )
Date: October 31, 2020 01:12PM

Provo, while in the MTC July/August 1985. Never bothered to go back after my mission.

Not counting the dates, I'll bet my eternal soul that this is the most common answer to this question.

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: October 31, 2020 02:52PM

There was one more trip after this one, but the most memorable was when oldest daughter got married in 1993. Salt Lake temple. DH was to be one of the witnesses. Our plan (which was secret) was that as soon as daughter was hitched, we were going to separate since he had disclosed months earlier that he was gay. He still had a temple recommend and swore to me he was worthy. Well, the groom to be decided DH WASN"T worthy to be an official witness and a family fight ensued in the hallway with the temple officiator, the bishop, the bride and groom and DH and me. It was quite the scene with family all sitting in the sealing room totally oblivious to what was transpiring. DH was livid, and ready to storm out of the whole thing. I begged him to let this be his daughter's day. He relented. Another family member had to go sign a new marriage certificate and DH took his place in a different chair from the witness seat. Much twittering took place when this happened and after the officiator warned us to get on with this or leave because "they had a schedule to keep", things got finished up. It was horrible.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: October 31, 2020 03:33PM

I'm sorry it was so bad. But. Can you forgive me for laughing hard at your story? Temple Weddings! In-laws. Arrogant son in laws. I've known a few. OMG. Hope your daughter ended up happy.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: November 01, 2020 01:52AM

I've never done any "temple work" (that's what they're doing on the Salt Lake Sitty temple, right?).

Never did any of that. Left as a teenager, and after decades of "inactivity"/ perfectly peaceful and happy living (without ever thinking of, remembering, experiencing, or even seeing anything mormonism), and returning to the friends & family territory, thought I'd INVESTIGATE mormonism, (which I'd never had a chance to do before, AT 8 years old), be around familiar people, practices, etc., and SEEING mormonism for what it is, up close, and visits to exmormon (here) beginning about a decade ago, left TC (the cult). So, never had much a chance to practice it, MUCHO LESS a desire.

ALL my sacredness is and has been done OUTSIDE "The Devil's Workshop" (to quote the title of a book by Joseph Smith (Sr.), a person I've randomly met, believe it or not, [ask and I'll tell] and I actually have the book [don't ask]).

Posted by: nli ( )
Date: November 01, 2020 05:48PM

Many years after I had left the churcch and been excommunicated (at my request - you couldn't "resign" in those days) four other exmormons and I obtained (don't ask how!) some blank recommend forms and we filled them out and signed them with phony names and went through a session in one of the larger temples. It was a memorable experience (not necessarily in a good way), especially to see all the changes that had been made since the last time I had gone with a genuine valid recommend.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: November 01, 2020 05:53PM

Right... Do you actually think any of us believe that the Guardian Angels at the entrance to the temple would let you pass!?!

/s just in case...

Posted by: DNA ( )
Date: November 02, 2020 07:01AM

2004ish. Went only one time with my 2nd wife. We went to the SLC temple and wandered around a bit. Went up a side staircase and looked around. It felt pretty daring as a TBMish member. But I like to push boundaries.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: November 03, 2020 12:30AM

Probably 15-17 years ago in Albuquerque. The local temple was brand-new. I still had a temple recommend, but was developing serious doubts.

A TBM friend from work invited me to go with her. Since I was kind of curious about how our new temple compared to my first one, in Atlanta, I accepted my friend's invitation.

I wasn't wearing garmies by then, but I hadn't thrown them out yet, so I fished them out from the back of my closet, and off we went.

I couldn't believe all the "Simon says" kind of stuff, like shuffling different parts of the temple outfits around or whatever. It was excruciating. I had forgotten all that silliness from my own "endowments" session.

And the biggest disappointment was that unlike Atlanta, our temple did not have a cafeteria!! Bummer!

This is in Albuquerque, New Mexico, BTW. Our temple isn't the greatest, but I can definitely recommend some terrific places in the area to get great Mexican food!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.