Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: November 05, 2020 12:59PM

While I was in it, it was a horrid thing. Every day was all about a church that I hated being involved with. This was as a child, a young adult, a mishie, an RM, all the way up until I learned it was a fraud when I was 29. I'm been free from it for 20 years now and it's been heaven.

Having said that, it did help me.

I can spot a liar and a fraud from 1,000 paces now.

Mormonism never taught me critical thinking, but in retrospect it helped me learn how to.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: November 05, 2020 03:42PM

Growing up in the church, it served me by giving me, though unobtainable, a goal to keep in mind. Maybe the fact that I gave up on 'obtaining the Celestial Kingdom' was a good thing for me? I was 'easy' on myself.

I can still rattle off the names of families made up of very good people. I wrote a paean for a former next-door neighbor who absolutely deserved every bit of my praise. I last spoke to her a few months before her death, two years ago; I'd first spoken to her in June of 1953, when we moved in next door to her.

She never said one negative word about my apostasy; she was all about building people up. There were many more like her. The Bell-Shaped Curve bin veddy veddy gud to me.

Of course there were weasels in the church, like the SP who sent me out on my mission, etc., etc.

I like a lot of mormons; I despise mormonism.

Posted by: josephssmmyth ( )
Date: November 05, 2020 08:16PM

Went to the doctor for a checkup the other day and got bad news.

He said,"You've got a rare disease and you've only got about 4 months to live," Suddenly I'm incredulous and tell the doctor I'm off to get a second opinion.

After finding another doctor a few days later and after a battery of tests, this doctor gives me the same bad news. Again I'm in shock and ask if there's anything I should do.

The doctor pauses a moment and says, "Can I give you some non- medical advice?"

"Sure, anything, Doc. I'm desperate! "

"Are you religious? the doctor asks.

"Not at all," I reply

"Well," says the doctor, "I encourage you to join the Mormon church. Go to every service, get involved with every group and small organization you can and completely immerse yourself into that religion. I mean, EVERY aspect of it you can."

Suddenly this perks me up and I'm feeling hopeful. "Will that extend my life?!"

"No," says the doctor, "But it'll be the longest fucking 4 months you've ever had."

Bada-Ding...

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.