Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: iceman9090 ( )
Date: November 07, 2020 01:41AM

Hello all.
So, I have encountered this one a couple of times.
This is what the christian posted. I will also post what I posted and feel free to give me your take on it.
WARNING: TOO MUCH BORING TEXT. YOU MIGHT NOT WANT TO READ THIS ONE. BOREDOM CAN BE DANGEROUS.

Person X:
Why lol carbon is 666 it’s what decays your bodies and it’s why spiritual teachers teach us to remain celibate because that is our youth and vitality between our hips

Me:
What are you talking about? What is this 666?

Person X:
carbon in our bodies is what causes decay it has 6protons 6neutrons and 6electrons, it’s beelzebub in your cells and it is the number of man ,the story of the Bible is a story about our bodies I am Adam(I am atom )

Me:
It’s more complex than that. There isn’t elemental carbon in our bodies. There are proteins, enzymes, various RNA, various DNA, free floating amino acids, peptides, triglycerides, hormones, sensor related chemicals.
The particle that defines an element’s properties is the proton. It is true that carbon has 6 protons. The number of neutrons can vary. For example, some carbon atoms have 6 neutrons and some have 7. The carbon found on Earth is 98.9% 12C, 1.1% 13C with some trace amounts of 14C. Carbon has the right atomic radius and right electronic configuration, which gives it the ability to bind to other carbon atoms and form longer chains. This property is called concatenation. No other element comes close. This means that carbon’s chemistry is vast. I think it is said that so far, 30 million chemicals are known and most of them are carbon based.

The reason why 12C is abundant is that it has an even number of protons and an even number of neutrons and this makes it exceptionally stable. 12C is produced by the triple-alpha process. 4He also has an even number of protons and an even number of neutrons. This requires a certain amount of helium concentration in a star and temperature = 100 MK.

Person X:
wtf? Lol every life form on earth is carbon based we all decay last I checked Jesus Christ was the only one to deafeat carbon / death/ beelzebub

Me:
Right. We are carbon based. Most lifeforms do die. I don’t know about bacteria. They don’t seem to age.
For the rest, there is the planarians. They don’t see to age.

What you were proposing is that carbon has 6 protons, 6 neutrons, 6 electrons. I am simply stating that this is wrong. Earth’s carbon has 3 isotopes. The carbon found on Earth is 98.9% 12C, 1.1% 13C with some trace amounts of 14C.
Is this something that you disagree with?

Also, carbon donates a little it’s electrons or takes electrons, depending on what it is binding with.
Also, you are forgetting about the other atoms of life, such as hydrogen, nitrogen, oxygen, sulfur, phosphorus, sodium, magnesium, calcium, potassium.

The most abundant element in the human body is oxygen.

Besides that, the 666 probably refers to Cesar and another guy from 2000 years ago, which obviously, the jew who wrote revelations hated a lot. It has nothing to do with carbon. 666 is just a numerical code.

“last I checked Jesus Christ was the only one to deafeat carbon / death/ beelzebub”

==How did you check that?

~~~~iceman9090

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: November 07, 2020 07:26AM

“it’s why spiritual teachers teach us to remain celibate because that is our youth and vitality between our hips”

Demons are trying to take our precious bodily fluids.

Date: November 07, 2020 10:55AM

bradley Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Demons are trying to take our precious bodily
> fluids.

LOL.
I remember a lady priest talking about demon seeds. Sorry, I don't have the link. It was one those those nutty priests making all sorts of claims to scare people.

Also, in the old days, apparently, people believed that demon would take the form of a female, have sex with a man in order to receive their sperm. Then, they would take the form of a man and have sex with a woman to impregnate them.
The idea is that demons don’t have sperm and so, they have to steal it from a human.
But, if a demon has the ability to magically transfer a human sperm into a demon sperm, then why doesn’t the demon transform a pencil into a demon sperm?

~~~~iceman9090

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: November 07, 2020 09:50AM

Fascinating though difficult for science challenged person like me, Icy. I never wanted to date a Carbon. :)

Religion cannot survive with out demons. Yin must have it's yang. Every story a protagonist and antagonist needs. And demonization of almost anything has become an integral part of the survival of religion.

And . . .Lack of understanding is an integral part of the demonization process.

Date: November 07, 2020 11:04AM

Done & Done Wrote:
“Fascinating though difficult for science challenged person like me, Icy.”

==Unfortunately, the cure for that is very time consuming. You need the motivation + time.
I recommend starting from the basics. Get some university bachelor level books.
Then, you start from step 1: read chapter 1.

You might want to prepare tests or have someone prepare tests to test your knowledge.

~~~~iceman9090

Date: November 10, 2020 09:56AM

My favorite thing each week is the Tuesday night science section of the NYT. So many fascinating articles. Perfect for the layman.

That is where I learned about black holes turning stars into spaghetti. Fascinating stuff concerning exploration to consider and be awed by. That is my science book for now because my passion is elsewhere. As the old saying goes, its about the journey not the destination. You see for yourself what is on the way to the place you have no idea what is.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: November 07, 2020 09:54AM

Purity of essence

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: November 07, 2020 10:03AM

The poetry of making up stuff & things that coordinate with your brain's furnishings. It's all about living in good taste.

Date: November 07, 2020 10:13AM

I'm sure *you* know what you mean. :)

Date: November 07, 2020 11:07AM

elderolddog Wrote:
> The poetry of making up stuff & things that
> coordinate with your brain's furnishings. It's
> all about living in good taste.

I like that. I am going to steal it. The carpet has to match the drapes.
Well, I guess metaphors can be fun.

~~~~iceman9090

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: November 07, 2020 10:44AM

Well bless his buckyballs !

Posted by: Razortooth ( )
Date: November 07, 2020 12:09PM

Within the human species, stupidity runs deep.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: November 09, 2020 10:27AM

We are all "stupid" about a lot of things and different for each of us. We are also prone to believe in world views and knowing a lot more than we do. Put the two together and you have the atom number of the beast.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: November 10, 2020 06:59AM

There's a lot of wisdom in this thread, in particular D&D and this one, Elder Berry. I'm with you 100%.

Posted by: Chicken N. N. Backpacks ( )
Date: November 08, 2020 08:14PM

"We are stardust, we are golden, we are billion year-old carbon, and we've got to get our ourselves back to the garden."

---------- Joni Mitchell

Truer words were hardly ever spoken. :-)

Date: November 09, 2020 12:43AM

Chicken N. N. Backpacks Wrote:
> "We are stardust, we are golden, we are billion
> year-old carbon, and we've got to get our
> ourselves back to the garden."
>
> ---------- Joni Mitchell
>
> Truer words were hardly ever spoken. :-)

You mean back into space?

~~~~iceman9090

Date: November 09, 2020 10:35AM

Back to the ground. My interpretation, anyway. Of course we don't have a choice in that, so writing a song with poetic words about it doesn't make sense.

OR, is she saying not to just smell the roses as so many advise, while we are here, but more importantly, grow some!

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: November 09, 2020 10:38AM

iceman9090 Wrote:
> You mean back into space?
>
> ~~~~iceman9090

The final solution's frontier.

Posted by: dogbloggernli ( )
Date: November 09, 2020 01:48PM

You seem to hang out with a strange religious crowd.

Id probably say something along the lines of "i disagree with the assumptions necessary to arrive at that conclusion."

Posted by: G. Salviati ( )
Date: November 10, 2020 09:40AM

dogbloggernli Wrote:
> You seem to hang out with a strange religious
> crowd.
>
> Id probably say something along the lines of "i
> disagree with the assumptions necessary to arrive
> at that conclusion."

I agree. Sometimes background assumptions are so bizarre that to engage an argument on scientific grounds that is based upon such assumptions does more harm than good: It legitimizes such assumptions by suggesting that somehow this is a genuine scientific question to be resolved.

To my mind, there are some religious positions that *do* legitimately engage scientific interest; e.g. intelligent design in biology, or the strong anthropic principle in cosmology. But here, arguing on scientific rounds, using scientific terms, about whether some Biblical reference to "666" refers to the elements of the human body, is ludicrous.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: November 10, 2020 09:55AM

> But here, arguing on scientific
> grounds, using scientific terms,
> about whether some Biblical
> reference to "666" refers to the
> elements of the human body, is
> ludicrous.

Sure, but if ghawd created the quack-billed platypus, how dare we limit him to only the non-ludicrous!

And while we're on the subject of ludicrous, how about some of the things we men d because our sex drive tells us it might get us laid?

Date: December 25, 2020 09:08PM

dogbloggernli Wrote:
> You seem to hang out with a strange religious
> crowd.
>
> Id probably say something along the lines of "i
> disagree with the assumptions necessary to arrive
> at that conclusion."

==If I did that, I would be losing an opportunity to inject science into the conversation and that is …….. bad.

~~~~iceman9090

Posted by: dogbloggernli ( )
Date: December 25, 2020 10:29PM

The discussion of assumptions is at the core of science. There is, after all, a philosophy to and of science.

Date: December 26, 2020 10:54AM

dogbloggernli Wrote:
> The discussion of assumptions is at the core of
> science. There is, after all, a philosophy to and
> of science.

==That’s correct.
There is no choice. Science is done by humans and humans start off with a blank slate (our brain is empty and we need to fill it with knowledge). We have to assume that there is a real universe and that it is observable by anyone at any time. There is an assumption that it behaves in a uniform way (any coordinate, any time). There is an assumption that mathematics can be used to describe it.

So far, those assumptions are holding wherever humans have been.
We extend our assumptions to the entire universe.

~~~~iceman9090

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.