Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Dr. No ( )
Date: November 26, 2020 01:50PM

not enough people are willing to take the vaccine ?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: November 26, 2020 01:56PM

The virus will be with us for a long time if not forever.

It's impact will only depend on how infectious it is and what our resistance is to it.

It'll lurk in the background until the conditions are right for it to rear it's head again.

Posted by: loislane ( )
Date: November 26, 2020 03:30PM

A few years ago I had a brother-in-law die of the bubonic plague. That's right. The bubonic plague.

It seems the BP is still with us. Prairie dogs were the culprit that infected my BIL. He got very sick and then he died. By the time they figured out is\t was the BP it was too late.

So the bad news is that the BP is still with us.

The good news is that it is 100 percent cureable if you catch it soon enough.

So maybe Covid will be like the BP. It will more or less go away, except for if you hang around prairie dogs.

Back in its heyday the BP was FAR worse than Covid. So maybe this too shall pass.

Posted by: dp ( )
Date: November 27, 2020 12:15AM

Why was he hanging out w/prairie dogs? Who (besides your bro-in-law; my condolences) even does that?

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: November 27, 2020 01:07AM

Fleas from prairie dogs can infect humans directly or hop a ride on other rodents and small animals. It happens more often than one might think.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/17/us/bubonic-plague-colorado/index.html

ETA: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2019/08/19/colorado-wildlife-refuge-still-affected-prairie-dogs-plague/2049377001/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/27/2020 01:07AM by Lot's Wife.

Posted by: loislane ( )
Date: November 29, 2020 03:22PM

I don't know that he was hanging out with prairie dogs.

I just assume that he was in close proximity to them because he got the BP.

My BIL lived in Southeastern Utah and spent a lot of time outdoors.

It is just that I thought the BP was a thing of the past, and it turns out it isn't. It can be lethal, but it is curable.

There was another disease in that part of the country -- I think it was called Hauntavirus. At first it was thought it was unique to the Navajo people, but it seems that the Navajos got the disease because they lived close to the critters that carried it. Anybody could get the disease, which attacked the lungs and killed people.

Beautiful country. I would risk the BP and Hauntavirus to live there. But I am getting old and have fewer years to lose.

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: December 03, 2020 10:56PM

Sorry for your loss.

It's been a while, like 20ish years, since we've been camping at Emerald Point, NV. Things may have changed, but when we were there, there was a sign near the bathrooms that said something to the effect that, "Rodents here have been known to carry the plague. Don't pitch your tent near any rodent holes. If you develop symptoms of a cold within a week, seek medical attention."

I tried not to lose my ish and hoped my kid, then nine years old, wouldn't read that sign. Well, she did and lost her ish. I got out one of my numerous cans of DEET and sprayed the hell out of the ground, the tent, our sleeping bags and us. I figured the carcinogenic trade-off tilted in our favor.

About a week later who had a cold? That's right. My kid. She lost her ish convinced that she had the plague. We went to the doctor. She didn't have the plague. But the plague is real.

ETA: Maybe it was in CA and called Eagle Point? It was waaaay high above Lake Tahoe, and the drive was terrifying. On the way up, all I saw at times was a dented guardrail and the sky. But for the plague, we'd probably still be there. That is the first time I realized I was having a panic attack.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2020 11:04PM by Beth.

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: December 04, 2020 10:35PM

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: December 06, 2020 12:40AM

Yes! We camped at a point overlooking the bay. I'm sure the campsite has changed since 1999 - it was spooky.

This is the bit of road that scared me.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=eagle+point+campsite+emerald+bay+ca&atb=v174-1&ia=web&iaxm=places

I'm trying to show the part where 89 zigzags all over the place. Crazy switchback, and you can't see the road. I love to drive US1 - this part of 89 was terrifying.

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.9491706,-120.0867479,1273m/data=!3m1!1e3

ETA: Hold on - the map is not cooperating

EATA: Okay - the second map is better.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/2020 12:51AM by Beth.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: December 08, 2020 01:46AM

When I first moved to Albuquerque, I lived in an apartment complex that was just across the street from a large vacant area that housed a prairie dog community. The local market was on the far side of the prairie dog 'hood.

My son was a little kid back then, and we both used to enjoy watching the prairie dogs. We would sit on top of a brick wall on one side of the 'hood and just watch. The little critters got used to us, and went about business as usual after some initial chittering.

It was fun, and it was free.

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: December 08, 2020 10:42AM

When the grand kids would go to Santa Fe to visit Great grand MA they always wanted to go to a couple of parks to watch the prairie dogs.

They stayed far enough away and never got sick.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: November 26, 2020 01:58PM

Those unwilling to take the vaccine must be isolated from society like old time leper colonies.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: November 26, 2020 03:06PM

The church should build quarantine colonies where TBMs can worship together to their heart’s content.

Just kidding. They’ll be meeting together in your neighborhood thanks to the SCOTUS decision. Feel safe yet?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/26/2020 03:14PM by bradley.

Posted by: Breeze ( )
Date: November 27, 2020 07:32AM

And the church kids will be overrunning the schools which my children attend. In our Utah area, the schools will be shut down, because of this. This takes away our children's right to a decent education.

The Mormons still come knocking on our door, without wearing a mask, and hand my children homemade goodies. I had to tell my kids not to take food from anyone, and not to answer the door, in order to stay safe.

They can't even answer their own door! If the litters of unmasked Mormon kids are out there playing and wrestling, and sharing skooters, we can't let our children play in their own front yard.

Date: November 26, 2020 03:15PM

So it’s like Herpes?

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: November 26, 2020 03:46PM

bradley Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So it’s like Herpes?

Except for ever so slightly more injurious to the overall health of the person infected and their entire community. No sexual contact necessarily involved.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: November 26, 2020 06:33PM

I know it's not a flu, but I'm going by the 1918 flu pandemic. It lasted about two years, with a little bit showing up the third year.

So at the very least, I'm thinking 2 or 3 years, although people don't like to hear that.

It will all depend on how effective a vaccine campaign would be. Since people who have had Covid seem to lose their immunity over several months, how do we know this won't happen with the vaccine?

It depends. I'm watching to see what happens after the vaccine has been dispensed.

Although I guess I mean with it being as severe as it has been. I think I read that the 1918 flu is still with us, but it's just a seasonal bug now. I do expect that to happen to Covid.

One day we'll have a cold and not even realize that we've just had the remnants of Covid in a milder form.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: December 03, 2020 11:17PM

The 1918 flu eventually mutated into a milder strain. I'm hoping with the vaccine, we'll back Covid into a corner, where it will wither and die.

Posted by: DaveinTX ( )
Date: November 29, 2020 12:22PM

Covid-19 is a SARS2 Coronavirus. So is the common cold virus.....which man has never been able to stop. It will be around for forever. Maybe in a few thousand years or more, it will mutate into a form that does not kill so easily; like how the common cold is now.

As others I am sure have said, after a while of people taking the vaccine(s), it will recede into the background and wait for a time when it can again attack. All the anti-vaxxers out there will assuredly make this happen. but just like Ebola, the flu, and a few other viral infections, it will NEVER go away.

Get vaccinated when it comes available! That is the only hope of corralling this monster!

Posted by: Phazer ( )
Date: November 29, 2020 02:05PM

You would be stupid to take it.

Date: November 29, 2020 04:15PM

You would be a bigger fool to not take it when available....... I want to go beat my head against the closest wall when people make statements like you did.

Darwin's Law. Time to cleanse the gene pool.......

Date: November 29, 2020 04:25PM

You would be stupid to join the Mormons, but here we are.

Date: November 29, 2020 08:52PM

Unfortunately, I was born into it. I have a direct line relative that came into SLC valley with BY and the first group. I never got into the Priesthood, and completely gave up even trying to be "mormon" when I was 23 (1979) and living in San Diego. Formally resigned in 1992. Only one in my family to actually resign. Lots of others just don't go any longer.

Posted by: Just Passing Through ( )
Date: December 04, 2020 03:25PM

The alteration to the small envelope protein is stable, Covid 19 will be here for the foreseeable future. Additionally, Covid 19 uses a furin mediated route of infection, which is fairly rare with corona viruses so comparisons to the various flus or colds is of questionable value. Will it become milder over time? I don't know.

Posted by: mikemitchell ( )
Date: December 05, 2020 08:52AM

It can be eliminated just like measles.

Posted by: Dr. No ( )
Date: December 05, 2020 04:51PM

there are still cases of poliomyelitis here and there.

And there have been localized outbreaks of pertussis, measles, mumps, meningococcus -- all completely preventable with vaccination

We very badly need a vaccine for something else, but as it's no microorganism, an effective vaccine cannot be bioengineered ;-D

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: December 05, 2020 05:01PM

> We very badly need a vaccine for something else,
> but as it's no microorganism, an effective vaccine
> cannot be bioengineered ;-D

Yep.

Posted by: moremanynli ( )
Date: December 06, 2020 07:46PM

Dr. No Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> not enough people are willing to take the vaccine
> ?

That's why it'll be with us AFTER forever...

It'll be with us forever because not many people did much early enough on.

It's the age we live in.

Ignorance
Confusion
Denial

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.