Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: December 02, 2020 07:26PM

I was having a day like that yesterday.

Just about every county in the State is designated as a "Red Zone," and in a "Red Zone," You can walk outside wearing a mask, you can go to your doctor, your pharmacist, (fortunately, Maurice the Gorgeous is still our pharmacist, and if he's on duty, he is my eye candy for the month, but I would never, ever let on because I am a very prim and proper old lady. I have children older than Maurice, so it only amounts to Fantasy Pharmacy.)

Also in a Red Zone, you can buy your groceries, pick up food if you have called your order in, yada, yada. It's getting old.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: December 02, 2020 08:38PM

Three or four months of hell, catnip, worsening hell; but then we'll turn the corner.

Hang in there.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: December 03, 2020 08:28PM

Lot's Wife Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Three or four [MORE] months [or more] of hell, catnip, worsening hell; but then we'll turn the corner.
>
> Hang in there.

Breathing...

_meditating_

●wondering●

Here comes winter
digging in

wishes everyone

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: December 02, 2020 08:42PM

I've adjusted to it. I'm pretty introverted naturally, so it's not as hard on me as it would be for an extrovert.

Posted by: CateS ( )
Date: December 05, 2020 06:13PM

I agree.

Posted by: Adam the Adam ( )
Date: December 05, 2020 10:00PM

Same, my life has not been a whole lot different besides wearing a mask and washing hands constantly.

Posted by: Adam the Adam ( )
Date: December 05, 2020 10:07PM

I don't even hang out with people so its very hard to get the virus. I tested negative when I recently got tested so I am doing something right.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: December 02, 2020 09:50PM

The whiney babies make me want to scream.

I read interviews in the Science section of the NYT last night of a dozen or so Health Care Workers. The ones working 70 and 80 hour shifts who are exhausted, demoralized, scared for their own families, and are pretty close to shutting down and having nothing else to give but keep going. They talked about how the deaths feel like personal failures, one had 5 in the course of 4 hours. They talk about stripping down in the hallway of their house and changing clothes and then showering heavily before hugging their kids. Put a lump in my throat.

So me? No complaints.

I am an extreme introvert, but that isn't the reason I feel that way.

Date: December 02, 2020 09:56PM

Thanks for your perspective. I appreciate you bringing the health care workers back into this discussion. I might also add those who have lost loved ones and this who have lingering health concerns from having contracted the disease. This is devastating to so many people.

Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: December 02, 2020 11:19PM

Our daughter ( who went to New York) will be heading to Montana to help there.
She said that an email was sent to nurses going there to be prepared for physical and mental trauma.
I worry for her still, but she’s determined.
She does have to go through all of those precautionary steps after each shift.
After what she has experienced, she says she wants to keep me and hubby in a box tucked away until this is brought under control.
I don’t mind being an introvert; especially if it helps to make it safer for all of us.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: December 03, 2020 01:43PM

Your daughter is a saint. Thank her on behalf of anonymous strangers like me.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: December 02, 2020 11:51PM

Plaque makes my dentist want to scream.

Date: December 03, 2020 09:52AM

Hi catnip,

I only use a computer at work and when I got home last night I worried that you might think I meant you when i said "whiney babies" which I did not.

I get how hard this is on everybody. The whiney babies are the ones who just are so selfish they won't just roll up their sleeves and do what needs to be done. Is one birthday party or holiday missed really that bad--not when you look at what the health care workers are going through or the people who lost their businesses or people trying against all odds to keep their businesses going.

Before I had read the interviews of the healthcare workers, on the front page of another newspaper was the featured apology of singing star Rita Ora who had defied the London shutdown and had a huge mask-less birthday party for herself in a restaurant that was supposed to be closed. Came off as less than sincere and more like damage control. Then I read the interviews. What a contrast.

Then I get home and they are interviewing a woman maskless in a fairly crowded restaurant who is smugly stating "Well, it's my birthday." My thought was the cake should be served in her face, but of course didn't really mean it. Did I?

Anyway. Got to go sanitize the entire workplace before everybody gets here. And we are most likely going on lock-down soon. I don't want to scream. A nice sob might do the trick though--not self pity, just exhaustion from keeping it all going.

Posted by: Phazer ( )
Date: December 05, 2020 12:59PM

How about those missed 3 weeks with a love one in poor health, with no covid, and dies in the retirement centers and can't see their kids.

There is always next year's funeral or death bed time to catch.

Posted by: John Morrison ( )
Date: December 03, 2020 11:24AM

Here's what makes me want to scream.

Like most people in my area I have been unable to work for much of this year. I have received no financial compensation as yet, but am still being chased for money.

Our local schools, libraries etc are all shut. As is the place I pay my taxes.

But here's the best part, I am still getting full tax demands. It's crazy. No one has bothered to ask me if I have lost money this year (I have) due to a government sanctioned lockdown, but the government still wants its pound of flesh.

Right now we're still in the stage where we're talking about sick people. I get it, I don't want to spread this disease. I try to obey their rules even when they're inconsistent.

If I manage to claim any money to pay for my losses, it looks like a lot of it is going on the interest charged by banks, debt collectors etc.

A total disgrace and no one is talking about it. I'm not alone in this. I know people who are nearly bankrupt thanks to lockdown.

Date: December 03, 2020 12:40PM

You would be right to scream. I feel for you and those in the same boat and I know quite a few.

The money went out wily nilly to the wrong people. I know quite a few who made more money with the bail out and the extra unemployment $600 than they usually make.

Also the PRISONERS! Did you see all the millions that people in prison applied for an got in the bailouts? Our brilliant government screwed it all up big time. One of my employees got a check for $6,000 out of the blue. It was a giant crap shoot the whole thing.

Meanwhile people like you got screwed while all the politicians were spewing money in an attempt to get votes. Now the election is over, well, nobody should count on any more windfalls.

The millions of dollar business loans went to billionaires and people like Kanye West. While you got nothing.

SCREEEAAAM away, John Morrison.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: December 03, 2020 03:18PM

I remember back during the Great Recession, my credit-card issuer jacked up rates to 24.99% regardless of one's credit score. They did this to everyone. If you were carrying a large balance, as I was at the time, it seemed particularly cruel. I guess they needed their pound of flesh.

Posted by: Coping-ish-nish ( )
Date: December 03, 2020 11:30AM

A lot of this reminds me of being on my mission:

- inability to visit people I love
- inability to talk to friends (now because our shared misery brings mutually down)
- suffering with other people (back then missionaries) through trying experiences
- restrictions in where I can go and what I can do
- tedium of having days that all look the same
- having to wear items that aren't what I'd normally wear
- not having physical contact with other people
- limitations in availability of favorite foods (I served abroad)
- feeling like people had antipathy to doing "the right thing"

The mission isn't the same obviously, but so many of my feelings are, that I kind of feel used to the self-abnegation I'm using to cope with this.

Posted by: Razortooth ( )
Date: December 03, 2020 11:40AM

I am just so exhausted from hearing about this over and over and over every minute of every day. Just kill me or shut up about it!

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: December 03, 2020 12:24PM

I do not find it too difficult to stay home except for essential outside trips but regret that almost a year of my dwindling number has been restricted. For a long time I did not hear of anyone I knew coming down with the virus but that has dramatically changed in the last two or three weeks with people I know either suffering at home or in the hospital.

I give thanks for all those on the front lines who are working long and difficult hours to assist the sick but I do wish to scream at the indifference of so many whose cavalier and willful attitude toward the virus has resulted in the appalling numbers we are seeing.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: December 03, 2020 12:31PM

Posted by: Factoid ( )
Date: December 03, 2020 01:25PM

If you are under sixty, and in good health, your chances of being on a ventilator are well under 1%.

Date: December 03, 2020 04:54PM

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/nebraska/articles/2020-11-26/nebraska-nurse-dies-of-covid-19-as-cases-surge

23 year old who never thought they would get the virus.
A friend went to a wedding, got infected, and then passed it on...
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p090cncb

Posted by: Factoid ( )
Date: December 03, 2020 06:09PM

anybody Wrote:
> https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/nebraska/a
> rticles/2020-11-26/nebraska-nurse-dies-of-covid-19
> -as-cases-surge
>
> 23 year old who never thought they would get the
> virus.
> A friend went to a wedding, got infected, and then
> passed it on...
> https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p090cncb

The figures speak for themselves.

More twenty somethings have died in road accidents over this past year than have been put on ventilators with Covid.

The risk drops substantially below thirty. Even in the thirty to late fifties range, you're pretty low risk if you have good health

Keeping people isolated from one another WEAKENS their immune systems as they are not exposed to other bugs. That's a fact.

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: December 03, 2020 06:13PM

Okay as long as you keep those 20 somethings away from the rest of us, but therein lies the problem.

Date: December 03, 2020 06:23PM

It's not like the mumps or chicken pox.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-02948-4

The false promise of herd immunity for COVID-19
Why proposals to largely let the virus run its course — embraced by Donald Trump’s administration and others — could bring “untold death and suffering”.

In May, the Brazilian city of Manaus was devastated by a large outbreak of COVID-19. Hospitals were overwhelmed and the city was digging new grave sites in the surrounding forest. But by August, something had shifted. Despite relaxing social-distancing requirements in early June, the city of 2 million people had reduced its number of excess deaths from around 120 per day to nearly zero.

In September, two groups of researchers posted preprints suggesting that Manaus’s late-summer slowdown in COVID-19 cases had happened, at least in part, because a large proportion of the community’s population had already been exposed to the virus and was now immune. Immunologist Ester Sabino at the University of São Paulo, Brazil, and her colleagues tested more than 6,000 samples from blood banks in Manaus for antibodies to SARS-CoV-2.

“We show that the number of people who got infected was really high — reaching 66% by the end of the first wave,” Sabino says. Her group concluded1 that this large infection rate meant that the number of people who were still vulnerable to the virus was too small to sustain new outbreaks — a phenomenon called herd immunity. Another group in Brazil reached similar conclusions.

Such reports from Manaus, together with comparable arguments about parts of Italy that were hit hard early in the pandemic, helped to embolden proposals to chase herd immunity. The plans suggested letting most of society return to normal, while taking some steps to protect those who are most at risk of severe disease. That would essentially allow the coronavirus to run its course, proponents said.

But epidemiologists have repeatedly smacked down such ideas. “Surrendering to the virus” is not a defensible plan, says Kristian Andersen, an immunologist at the Scripps Research Institute in La Jolla, California. Such an approach would lead to a catastrophic loss of human lives without necessarily speeding up society’s return to normal, he says. “We have never successfully been able to do it before, and it will lead to unacceptable and unnecessary untold human death and suffering.”

Despite widespread critique, the idea keeps popping up among politicians and policymakers in numerous countries, including Sweden, the United Kingdom and the United States. US President Donald Trump spoke positively about it in September, using the malapropism “herd mentality”. And even a few scientists have pushed the agenda. In early October, a libertarian think tank and a small group of scientists released a document called the Great Barrington Declaration. In it, they call for a return to normal life for people at lower risk of severe COVID-19, to allow SARS-CoV-2 to spread to a sufficient level to give herd immunity. People at high risk, such as elderly people, it says, could be protected through measures that are largely unspecified. The writers of the declaration received an audience in the White House, and sparked a counter memorandum from another group of scientists in The Lancet, which called the herd-immunity approach a “dangerous fallacy unsupported by scientific evidence."

Date: December 03, 2020 07:47PM

"It's your problem not mine so I don't care?"

Posted by: CateS ( )
Date: December 05, 2020 06:22PM

What does that even mean?

Oh wait, I get it. If someone happens to be unlucky enough to be over 60 or in poor health they deserve to die.

Posted by: cinda ( )
Date: December 03, 2020 01:04PM

Fantasy Pharmacy! I love it :)

Posted by: Dorothy ( )
Date: December 03, 2020 03:14PM

Where IS this fine pharmacist?! That's okay, I'm visiting now in my head.

:)

Date: December 03, 2020 04:49PM

In New Mexico. He's tall, slender, VERY intellectual, and has a voice, like warm honey when you talk to him on the phone. And his hair is greying, ever so gradually, sexy as all-get-out.

Date: December 03, 2020 08:30PM

Date: December 04, 2020 01:24AM

Maybe just a scritch over six feet.

My DH is fully aware that I admire Maurice. He gets a kick out of it, and assures me that I'm not alone. He has heard other senior ladies whispering as they wait in the pharmacy line.

Date: December 04, 2020 02:30AM

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: December 06, 2020 04:16PM

The guy sounds like Russell, the pharmacist on Two and Half Men.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: December 03, 2020 03:15PM

I think like many others, I find the restrictions tiresome, but on the other hand I do try to be mindful of my blessings. I'm healthy and my family members are healthy. It looks like we may all survive this intact.

I'm hopeful now that the Pfizer vaccine has been approved for the U.K. I hope that we've turned the corner, and that this is, indeed, "the beginning of the end." We just have to stick with the program and have hope.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: December 03, 2020 03:51PM

I have been channeling my inner hermit since March...and actually enjoying it to some extent. Don't know if that's a good thing or not. Closest neighbor is a half mile away. A friend called yesterday to see if I was ok..as I hadn't been to town in a week. All good. Probably won't change much after this is over. Sucks I can't get beer delivered out here though..lol

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: December 03, 2020 05:27PM

About a month into the pandemic I quit trying to eat breakfast at McDonald's, which usually came to about $7; it was just too uncomfortable eating the Deluxe Breakfast in the car...

Before that, I ate breakfast at McDonald's at least 4 times a week...

So 4 (times a week) x $7 (each meal) x 30 weeks = $840, which I used to buy a new pair of pants and a guitar. (The Lucero LFB250SCE, with strap, capo, amp & amp cord. All by itself it is better than the mormon gospel, can I get an amen?)

And my weight is down from 228 lbs, then, to 205 lbs, this morning. Since I'm only 4'9" tall, it's hard to see the difference, but it's there!

There's an 80 volume (but most volumes are under 200 pages) Sci/Fi series that I've finished, via Kindle Unlimited. Just those volumes alone, $240 if purchased, have paid for my $9.99/month charges over the same time period, and I only spent about 45 days reading them.

What have I missed due to 'home confinement'? A friend has died. But he used to 'bump' the ball on the fairway, so ...

And if you're honest, how many of us have people in our lives that we would tell Covid-19 where they lived if Covid-19 asked?

Date: December 03, 2020 05:58PM

That's very impressive!

Date: December 03, 2020 06:02PM

Yes, but he is fibbing. There's no way he's taller than 4'6".

Date: December 03, 2020 06:24PM

I had many a come-back but in the spirit of this Holy Season of shopping & Savings, Bless You, Gladys, and may the Spirit of your seasonings bring you peace at the end of your quo vadis.

(bitch...)

Date: December 04, 2020 01:44AM

I'm sorry, Jesus, but could you speak up a bit? It's hard to hear you from way down there.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: December 04, 2020 04:57PM

elderolddog Wrote:
> ....$840, which I used to buy a new pair of pants and
> a guitar. (The Lucero LFB250SCE, with strap,
> capo, amp & amp cord. All by itself it is better
> than the mormon gospel, can I get an amen?)

Amen!
>
> There's an 80 volume (but most volumes are under
> 200 pages) Sci/Fi series that I've finished, via
> Kindle Unlimited. Just those volumes alone, $240
> if purchased, have paid for my $9.99/month charges
> over the same time period, and I only spent about
> 45 days reading them.

When did you last read a nice Romance? You're overdue!
>
> What have I missed due to 'home confinement'? A
> friend has died. But he used to 'bump' the ball
> on the fairway, so ...
>
Prithee, the planet Kolob came to mind. Please tell me, "not so!"

Date: December 05, 2020 06:57PM

It just dawned on me to whom you were referring! No, it was not he; it was a heathen with absolutely no connection to mormonism.

Hie played by the rules.

Posted by: Afraid of Mormons ( )
Date: December 04, 2020 09:03AM

I'm too busy crying.

All those dead people! A lot of those deaths--and future deaths--could have been prevented by obeying the health guidelines! The guidelines have been proven to work--proven by enormous numbers of people all over the world. I'm tearing up right now, thinking about the covid victims, and their loved ones, and the people who are jobless and hungry.... I cry for America, plus the rest of the world, too. Where's the empathy? Where's the love?

If you can possibly afford it--donate! It makes you feel better.

I've had two close childhood friends die of Covid, and the world is a sadder place, without those two fine men. Yes, they were men over the age of 60--is that supposed to be easier to accept?
Oh, that's right, you didn't know them.

Thank you, Valkyrie Queen, Done&Done, Summer, Anybody, Kentish, and others for reassuring us that doing the right things, healthwise, is paying off!

I'm over 60, but with no health risks. My family is healthy, my adult children have kept their jobs, my grandchildren are going to school. I live with some of my family, and they are going out of their way to protect me. Anything is worth being able to go on as we have been. I stand up to friends and neighbors and Mormons who ridicule us for wearing masks. I don't let their kids come into our home to play with my grandchildren. We don't join them in their large social gatherigs, when they refuse to wear masks. This was difficult in March, but now more and more people are being responsible and considerate. The kids are now all in the same boat, and they can communicate and commiserate with each other.

I appreciate the ex-Mormon training from RFM and the years of practice I have had in being more assertive against the Mormons, telling them "No", standing up for myself and my family, not allowing them to harrass us, not letting them invade our home, not letting them con us out of our money or time, not allowing them to lie to us anymore. The same rules apply to people who don't wear a mask or who have been exposed to Covid. My "social distancing" behavior has become a habit, after leaving the cult.

I don't like distancing myself from my children and grandchildren, but I'm doing them a greater kindness than they realize, by helping them stay healthy, setting an example, sparing them the horrors of my being sick in the same house and having to be taken care of, and dying a traumatic death, and having them blame themselves and forever wonder if they gave me the virus that killed me.

I have great conversations with my family, from 6 feet away, through our masks, and outdoors with those I don't live with. I also listen as they are a bit lonely and need to talk. I drive to their houses, and play with them outside, or they come and play in my yard. We had a good Thanksgiving, and are planning on a great Christmas, even while obeying all the guidelines.

We text every other day, send interesting and funny pictures fo what we're doing, videos of the little kids, our pets, comedians, cute news stories, etc. We Face-time and use Zoom. Even if you live far away from family and friends, you can stay in touch this way, or through e-mail or mail.

I actually forget I'm wearing a mask. A while ago, I tried to blow out a candle, with a mask on. Our pharmacy and bank have drive-up windows.

I have groceries delivered. I thought the $5 to $7 delivery fees would add up, but I'm actually saving money, by not doing any impulse buying. I don't buy as much junk food, because it's too over-priced, for food your body doesn't use. I haven't eaten out since last February.

I keep thinking about that empty hospital bed that I am not using, that will be available for someone who desperately needs help.

Posted by: Afraid of Mormons ( )
Date: December 04, 2020 09:16AM

Just to be clear...we don't go to any social gatherings, even with masks, indoors or outdoors. Each individual household family had their own separate Thanksgiving, and the same for Christmas. They enjoyed a more relaxing Thanksgiving, with the freedom to do as they pleased, their own way, without the demands of a big extended family.

Date: December 05, 2020 01:07PM

I had a fantastic thanksgiving well over any limits and we all ate, drank, enjoyed desert, told stories, kids played, it was inside, we all breathed each others inside air and we all fill good and some even had underlying conditions and we all survived. The turkey did not.

Date: December 04, 2020 10:12AM

You warmed me a bit with that, Afraid of Mormons. You make me feel connected.

Several times upon hearing of a covid death I have heard the first question from someone young and healthy be, "Did they have underlying conditions?" They go on to claim it wasn't the Covid that killed them.

One minor celeb said in an interview that Covid was nature's way of weeding out the weak genes and strengthening the population. Seems like weak gene thinking to me. What about selfish genes?

There is a long long list of people who have had amazing accomplishments even after reaching "dying age as specified by the young." Here is a few but just the tip of the iceberg:

Col.Sanders started KFC at 65 Without the help of the internet.

Diana Nyad swam from Cuba to Florida at 64 Lets see you do that you young healthy iPhone addicted kids.

John Glenn went to space at 77 Enough said

Grandma Moses started painting at 76--without the iPad
programs that make it easy for anyone to be an artist today with all their work looking the same.

Peter Roget invented the Thesaurus at 73 Some texts on iPhones could use a good look at one.

Teiichi Igarashi climbed Mt. Fuji at 100--without having to use Mapquest or GPS haha like some have to use it to get to McDonald's.

I could go on . . .and on . . .

Me? 71 Still working 60-70 hour weeks and running a small businenss and have never been better or more productive at sculpting, painting and designing. Not ready to die and my age does not make me the weak one that needs to be weeded out.

Thank you to everyone who does the right thing. Plus, I look way hotter with my old jowls covered. Win/Win

Date: December 04, 2020 02:48PM

That's a touching post, AoM.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: December 04, 2020 11:20AM

They only make me want to scream when I am alone or with somebody

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/2020 03:35PM by thedesertrat1.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: December 04, 2020 03:33PM

Scream NO

whine and whimper YES

Date: December 05, 2020 09:24AM

#4 has me on the floor! OMG There is truth there. True truth.

Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: December 04, 2020 08:59PM

I kinda enjoy staying home in my PJ's, making cool stuff on the computer and day drinking whenever the fuck I want.
fuck it Dude.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: December 04, 2020 10:04PM

You SCREAM
I SCREAM
We ALL SCREAM
For ICE CREAM

Date: December 05, 2020 11:51AM

I don't travel too far to always wash my hands while wearing a sack over head and only inhaling. Exhaling is of the devil!!

Ya gotta have a plan and then ya gotta work your plan!

Date: December 05, 2020 12:54PM

One good benefit of all these restrictions is making church attendance dwindle and more mormons are relaxing on Sundays. Not having to "minister" to the flock bc of covid concerns gives less responsibility.

Perhaps 100,000 will go in-active and realize church isn't helping them and they are better off without meeting every week.

Maybe so alternative online church streams to fill in the time have grown on them and realize Jesus can be on demand.

Posted by: ufotofuNLI ( )
Date: December 06, 2020 07:18PM

Yes

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.