Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: iceman9090 ( )
Date: December 02, 2020 07:38PM

About magic underwear / About magic mormon underwear

iceman9090:
1. Is every mormon suppose to wear them?
2. What happens when someone finds out you are not wearing them? He rats on you and they take you to the priest for a long talk?
3. Where do you buy them from? How much does it cost in 2015 to 2020 period?
4. Do you wear normal underwear on top or under the magic underwear?
5. What is it made of?
6. Can you make your own or is that illegal and the priest calls you for a talk?
7. At what age do you begin to wear them?
8. When you die, do you get buried with it?
9. When did this concept start? Who started it?
10. What’s the purpose according to the mormon leaders? Is it just symbolism for the knee bending and something about your heart belonging to Jesus?
11. Are you allowed to modify the underwear? Can you change the color? Can you remove parts? Can you add parts?
12. There was the thread about
Garments & Sexual Repression
https://www.exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,2347232

Are you suppose to wear them during sex?

JUST COMMENTARY:
I can understand that it is about controlling society. There needs to be some kind of control or else there would be disorder in society.
All religions place some kind of control. Wear this, don’t wear that, eat this, don’t eat that, when to have sex, who to marry, who not to marry, when to pray, do this or you don’t get the keys to space heaven, etc.

It’s not necessarily an evil or bad thing. It is a choice that you make. As an atheist, to me it seems funny to give the keys to your brain to someone else. You are letting someone else drive you.

This isn’t like a job, like being in the police, working at MacDonald’s, being in the military.
Those are situations where coordination is necessary in order to produce a certain product.

A lot of muslims have their women covered. This is a product if the goal is to not have other men looking at your sexy wife.
I have seen some jews wear a certain black cowboy like hat. I don’t see the point. Is it like a sign of solidarity? Is it like a kind of signal? Kind of like a membership card? Birds of a feather, let’s flock together?

Humans and their funny customs, eh?

~~~~iceman9090

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: December 02, 2020 08:34PM

1. No. Only members who have been through the temple wear garments.

2. A member can rat you out to the bishop for essentially anythimg. What the bishop would do about it depends on the bishop, but one of the temple recommend questions is whether or not you wear the garments.
As an aside, in mormonism, a priest ia a 16-18 year old male - not like a catholic priest.

3. They arepuechased from a curch distribition center. I have no idea what they cost now as I don't wear them.

4. The instruction is that it should be worn underneath other clothing. Most men do not wear any other underwear. The question usually arises for women regarding wearing their bras. the official position of the church is that they don't have a position on that issur, but a number of women have related that they wese tiold in the temple to wear their bra over their garments.

5. TTHere are several different fabrics available.

6. Nk you can't make your own It is not illegal, but is not acceptable to the church.

7. See #1. HYou start wearing them when you go to the temple which would typically b e before mission (age 18 or 19) or marriage. It would be older for adult converts.

8. Yes.

9. Started in 1840s with Joe Smith.

10. According to the LD$ chuirch, the purpose is to remoind you of the covenants you made in the temple.

11. No. No. No. No. When disposing of old garments, you are supposed tp cut out the (masonic) symbols before disposing of them. Otherwise, you should not modify them at all.

12. Officially, the church does not say that, but some members have apparently been told that.

If you have never seen them

https://www.google.com/search?source=univ&tbm=isch&q=LDS+garments+pictures&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjf1cS81bDtAhVU7J4KHb7iCh0QjJkEegQIAxAB&biw=1366&bih=654

Date: December 03, 2020 12:49AM

[|] Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

1. What’s the story with this temple stuff? That’s when they do the baptism to you?

“No. Only members who have been through the temple wear garments.”

==Why not before that?
Do they want the person to hit age 18 and be considered an adult to make the contract legal?

“2. A member can rat you out to the bishop for essentially anything. What the bishop would do about it depends on the bishop, but one of the temple recommend questions is whether or not you wear the garments.
As an aside, in mormonism, a priest is a 16-18 year old male - not like a catholic priest.”

==What’s the difference between a catholic priest, an orthodox christian priest and a mormon priest?
In other words, what do they do?

I was looking at
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Priest

There is the “Latter Day Saints” but it looks like goblligook for the most part.

The only line of interest seems to be
“The priesthood includes the power Jesus gave his apostles to perform miracles such as the casting out of devils and the healing of sick (Luke 9:1).”

So in other words, if someone has a tooth root infection and I say, “Hey devil, get out of that tooth root”, the devil won’t obey me.
If a mormon priest says the same thing, the devil would obey. Or maybe the devil, is pushed out by the mormon priest using words?

“9. Started in 1840s with Joe Smith.”

==Interesting. I wonder how accurate this information is. Is there solid evidence for it. This Joseph Smith, he had a city to himself and was printing money. I assume along with it, there were newspaper printings and church printings. Is there something printed where Joseph Smith says “Wear this, I command you.” or something of the sort?
PS: I don’t know the exact sequence of events, the phases that Joseph Smith and his people went through.

“11. No. No. No. No. When disposing of old garments, you are supposed to cut out the (masonic) symbols before disposing of them. Otherwise, you should not modify them at all.”

==Why do people say that they are masonic symbols?

I was also reading
Source:
https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Temple_garment

Looks like different leaders of the church have different things to say about it.

Thanks for the answers. Good stuff.

~~~~iceman9090

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: December 03, 2020 02:02AM

iceman9090 Wrote:
> [|] Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
>
>
> 1. What’s the story with this temple stuff?
> That’s when they do the baptism to you?
>
> “No. Only members who have been through the
> temple wear garments.”
>
> ==Why not before that?
> Do they want the person to hit age 18 and be
> considered an adult to make the contract legal?

You get garments as part of the temple ceremony.
http://www.ldsendowment.org/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endowment_(Mormonism)

> “2. A member can rat you out to the bishop for
> essentially anything. What the bishop would do
> about it depends on the bishop, but one of the
> temple recommend questions is whether or not you
> wear the garments.
> As an aside, in mormonism, a priest is a 16-18
> year old male - not like a catholic priest.”
>
> ==What’s the difference between a catholic
> priest, an orthodox christian priest and a mormon
> priest?
> In other words, what do they do?
>
> I was looking at
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Priest
>
> There is the “Latter Day Saints” but it looks
> like goblligook for the most part.
>
> The only line of interest seems to be
> “The priesthood includes the power Jesus gave
> his apostles to perform miracles such as the
> casting out of devils and the healing of sick
> (Luke 9:1).”
>
> So in other words, if someone has a tooth root
> infection and I say, “Hey devil, get out of that
> tooth root”, the devil won’t obey me.
> If a mormon priest says the same thing, the devil
> would obey. Or maybe the devil, is pushed out by
> the mormon priest using words?

Catholic and orthodox priests are the leaders of their particular congregations. the equivalent rank in the mormon church would be bishop. Mormon priests are allowed to bless the sacrament and perform baptisms. Healings and casting out devils (as well as many other mormon priesthood ordinances require the Melchizedek Priesthood. Mormon priests hold the Aaronic Priesthood - which is a lower priesthood.

> “9. Started in 1840s with Joe Smith.”
>
> ==Interesting. I wonder how accurate this
> information is. Is there solid evidence for it.
> This Joseph Smith, he had a city to himself and
> was printing money. I assume along with it, there
> were newspaper printings and church printings. Is
> there something printed where Joseph Smith says
> “Wear this, I command you.” or something of
> the sort?
> PS: I don’t know the exact sequence of events,
> the phases that Joseph Smith and his people went
> through.

https://allthatsinteresting.com/mormon-underwear-temple-garment
One of the primary purposes originally was probably to serve to identify those whom Joe Smith had introduced to the practice of polygamy.

> “11. No. No. No. No. When disposing of old
> garments, you are supposed to cut out the
> (masonic) symbols before disposing of them.
> Otherwise, you should not modify them at all.”
>
> ==Why do people say that they are masonic
> symbols?

The symbols are a V over one breast, a _| over the other breast, a _ over the naval and over the right knee. They are the equivalent of the square, compass, and rule of the masons. the endowment ceremony was cribbed from masomic ceremonies. Google LDS endowmwnt and masonry.

> I was also reading
> Source:
> https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Temple_garment
>
> Looks like different leaders of the church have
> different things to say about it.
>

Church leaders will be very selective about everything having to do with the temple. Part of the ceremony is promising to not reveal anything about it.

> Thanks for the answers. Good stuff.
>
> ~~~~iceman9090

Learning about mormonism will very quickly lead into some very strange stuff.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: December 02, 2020 11:22PM

Speaking for my DW on #4.

She always wore her bra under the garment or the bra would slide up and not give support. Temple matrons advised her to wear the garment against her skin, but that never worked well for her.

Same for the bottom underwear. Wearing tights/pantyhose over the garment was a disaster that resulted in them drooping or falling down. Not a pretty sight!

Date: December 03, 2020 01:05AM

messygoop Wrote:
I guess they wanted her to feel the cloths for the symbolism sown into the cloths to have more meaning.
What’s the point if it is not touching your skin?
I think this tells us about the attitudes of the mormons. I imagine that they feel that the jewish god is not a cool dude, that he is not understanding, that he would get upset over something as little as less skin contact between the underwear and your skin.
I can’t blame them. The god of the tanakh is quite mental and the one in Revelations as well. The one in the New testament section is quite inactive.

I remember going to school and we had a lab in biology class. The lab was about genetic differences between people. One thing to do was to take some sodium benzoate and to taste it. Some people can taste it and some can’t.
One guy (muslim), who was at the same table as me, said he did not want to try the sodium benzoate because he did not want to risk it.
People are afraid of their gods over little things.

Source:
https://www.indigoinstruments.com/documents/File/VMI-Taste-Test-Papers.pdf
^^^^^Sodium benzoate and PTC, can you taste it?”

~~~~iceman9090

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: December 03, 2020 10:59PM

A few other notes

As late as tye 70s you could make your own garments. Patterns were sold in local department stores in Utah. The Relief Society would loan a sewing machine if needed.

The church has modified the garments design multiple times over the years. Garments used to be one piece.

Prior to the 70s military members would dye their garments to match military regulated colors. Later the church would sell pre dyed garments to military members.

Some military members had "kits" that were basically the markings from garments that were sewn into the inside of their uniforms. Others just sewed the markings directly onto the uniform.

Though Joseph initiated the use of garments to those that went through certain endowment ceremonies in Nauvoo. He removed his and told his fellow prisoners to remove theirs when he was imprisoned in Carthage. Willard Richards refused to remove his garments and emerged relatively unscathed from the assassination of Joseph and Hyrum leading to the early belief that garments provide divine protection.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.