Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Waren Jeffs ( )
Date: December 07, 2020 05:44AM

I sent some emails to him about my experience being a Mormon.I dont know if he recieved them.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Twinker ( )
Date: December 07, 2020 09:48AM

You might try sending him a private message on FB.

Posted by: Waren Jeffs ( )
Date: December 08, 2020 03:35AM

I am not connected with him on Facebook,so he cant see my message.

Posted by: Phazer ( )
Date: December 07, 2020 03:09PM

Never spoke to him and listened to many podcasts.

They helped open my eyes and leave.

Posted by: Got plenty to offer ( )
Date: December 07, 2020 06:48PM

lol.

People still drinking the Dehlin Kool-aid?

Here was me thinking we'd be past all that in 2020.

My advice to anyone leaving the church...Once you've scrubbed yourself clean of the stain from the church, do the same with Dehlin and just go live your life.

You'll know what I mean after a while.

Posted by: Twinker ( )
Date: December 08, 2020 01:20PM

Many others are helped by his continuing re-educating and affirmations.

PS @ "Got plenty to offer". Now that you've scrubbed yourself clean from the church's stain, why are you still posting here instead of going on to live your life?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2020 01:21PM by Twinker.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: December 11, 2020 07:15PM

Excellent Twinker!

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: December 08, 2020 02:28PM

I've often seen people mentions John Dehlin's interviews as being helpful in their exit from the church. Often they will cite a specific interview or interviews.

And there are still people questioning or in the process of exiting. It's not like it ever stops. What is old hat for you might be brand new for someone else.

Posted by: Phazer ( )
Date: December 08, 2020 03:49PM

Perhaps the Dehlin kool-aid is attending a semina more than once.

For me some early podcasts in 2010 and books really helped with understanding that the church's claims and origins was a load of crap. Made it easy to walk away cold turkey and to not invest one more minute in the made up religion.

Everything made sense after walking away.

Posted by: W8sted2years ( )
Date: December 08, 2020 03:07PM

I attended the gathering in logan when John got Ex'ed. John has helped alot of people as they leave the Cult.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: December 08, 2020 05:12PM

Agreed.

Posted by: Cold-Dodger ( )
Date: December 08, 2020 05:23PM

Spoken with him once in person before while I was still in the closet at BYUI. He’s a good man as far as I can tell. He helped put together a whole mental health support network for Mormons who find themselves in the faith crisis boat, because when it was his turn there was nothing there for him. You gotta respect that.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: December 09, 2020 12:08PM

I've changed my opinion of him. I believe he is a saint for latter-day saints. I just hope he doesn't ever disavow selling questioning to Mormons and try to sell Mormonism to Mormons.

Posted by: sb not logged in at all ( )
Date: December 09, 2020 12:26PM

For those of you with short memories. Delhin was fully aware of the church's misogamy, BOM issues, racism, and other unholy and impure practices AND HE STILL wanted to be a part of it as long as he got his new-mormon label business going. He was recommending people stay and pay.

People act like he was the first public dissident or that he was the first to disagree with the church and try to stay.

Yes his stuff is helpful, that does not mean it did not come from a profit-making perspective.

Date: December 09, 2020 12:36PM

He is a dissident that isn't like Ammon Bundy, Denis Snuffer, and a bunch of others that don't sell the right kind of questioning.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: December 09, 2020 03:52PM

I was there at the post-Mormon conference in 2012, when he humbly apologized for some attitudes he had had about people leaving the church, and it took his excommunication to completely digest that.

Posted by: loislane ( )
Date: December 10, 2020 10:33AM

John Dehlin's great uncle, Paul K. Dehlin owned the corner store next to my house.

He was truest bluest Mormon I ever knew, and when it came to doing good, there was none better.

Plus, owning a store, he put in long, long hours.

I e-mailed John Dehlin offering to tell him more about his great uncle, who often told me stories of his childhood.

John Dehlin e-mailed me back, but didn't seem all that interested.

I guess there are some Mormon Stories he doesn't care about.

Date: December 10, 2020 10:52AM

I never got the feeling Dehlin was into Mormon History. There are dark places there. But your experiences with his kith and kin sound interesting.

Apparently there is an app where the missionaries have been looking up their ancestral relationships. No surprise that my daughters have found many many "cousins" in their mission fields with them.

Posted by: loislane ( )
Date: December 10, 2020 12:32PM

I was a grubby little child of a weird father who did not work because the world was going to end Very shortly (1964) and an overwhelmed mother who did work and spent her spare time tranquilized, in bed, trying to flee from her demanding children and deadbeat husband.

Paul K. Dehlin owned the store next door (next-store).

I practically lived there, drooling over the penny candy.

Anybody else would have told me to take a hike but he loved me like a father.

I found out later that he tried hard to like unlikeable people. I think he thought of me as a pest, but tried hard to overcome that feeling and do some positive good in my life. I saw him rescue other young people who no one else seemed to care about.

His belief in the LDS church was unwaivering. He often told the story of when he was a young man, his bishop called out for volunteer missionaries. His mother volunteered Paul. The bishop said no way. You are a widowed mother with almost no money. You cannot spare your son.

Paul Dehlin's mother said Paul must go, and in the end she won.

Paul Dehlin's mission was to Hawaii. Paul's experiences among the Hawaiians made a lasting impression on him. He often spoke of Hawaii with tears in his eyes. Paul was born around 1905, so I guess he was in Hawaii around 1925 before it got too spoiled.

Anyway, he told one funny story from his mission. In order to bond with the Hawaiians, he had to eat their food, and he just couldn't STAND poi, which I think is fermented fish. It made him throw up.

But he prayed to God to help him overcome his loathing of poi, and God answered his prayers and in the end he actually craved poi.

He told many other stories about his childhood, his widowed mother, her faith in the LDS church, and her faith in her son. Many many many stories.

Some of these stories would have included John Dehlin's grandfather, Paul's brother, but John Dehlin didn't seem too interested.

ANYWAY, I thought the adventures of an ardent (however mistaken) missionary's adventures among the wonderful, loving Hawaiians might be of interest to future generations. I heard him tell lots of stories because we had FHE at his house. My father had been ex-d because he wouldn't stop predicting the end of the world. My father didn't like FHE, so we went to Paul Dehlins house and quoted scripture to each other and listened to Paul K. Dehlin talk about Hawaii. I remember it all.

Lois

Date: December 10, 2020 12:49PM

Great story. It is so much better post-Mormonism to hear these things from people who lived them than the gaslighting bags at General Conference spinning yarns about themselves and faith self promoting stories of others. Thanks!

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: December 10, 2020 02:06PM

+1

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: December 10, 2020 12:33PM

Just my opinion.

He seems to be very interested/obsessed with mormon celebrities or mormon royalty. It's a form of hero worship.

I have listened to several of his podcasts. It bothers me that he is always prodding the interviewees to say something "nice" about the church and its indoctrination. That's something that I vehemently disagree with.

I acknowledge that he has helped many people to make the decision to leave the church.

Date: December 10, 2020 12:53PM

It is a softer approach to the truth of The Mormon fraud. I don't know where his head is with the Mormon overlords but acknowledging critics and people's stories from the abusive corporation is somewhat good publicity for the real world.

I think I have to acknowledge like Lois above, the good people I had dealings with in the cult of like mindedness and quieter laughter.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: December 10, 2020 02:50PM

I have actually met and talked to him, but could never judge his sincerity. I mean, he seems very sincere, and I have no reason to doubt him. But, personally, it seems to me that his podcast and other things regarding his erstwhile Mormonism have a distinct effort to earn money, and sometimes he may try too much. Of course, that may be an extension of his counselling or whatever he does. Still, I don't think that one should question his sincerity.

Posted by: Hedning ( )
Date: December 10, 2020 02:55PM

Depends what he is interested in. If you don't know him and want a response I would suggest you propose a large group therapy event where he gets paid or has ability to monetize it, or there will be lots of adoring female fans.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: December 11, 2020 07:50PM

My turn to +1

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.