Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: pollythinks ( )
Date: December 07, 2020 04:36PM

Mine was a one-dollar bill.

My daughter-in-law and I went shopping and found about 20 cents of penny's in the parking lot. And no, she wasn't too proud to pick them all up.

Me thinks that men don't like to carry a lot of penny's in their pockets.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: December 07, 2020 05:37PM

Years ago I was going into a music store to buy a guitar. I saw a wallet in the parking lot, picked it up and found several hundred dollars in it.

I took it inside and gave it to the guys at the counter. They checked it and said the guy was just in the store and had just cashed his paycheck and would be very happy to have it back.

I bought the guitar I was after and they threw in a free case for returning the wallet and money.

Other than that I found $20 on the side walk once.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: December 07, 2020 05:49PM

A herbivore like you could buy a lot of salad with $20 . . .

Date: December 07, 2020 05:59PM

Herbivore? Herbivore? Are you kidding? I own a Traeger smoker you know? Meat is my middle name...sort of, depending how you spell it.

And $20 wouldn't cover the cost of the 9 lb. pork belly I bought at Costco and have curing in my garage fridge, to be smoked on Sunday.

Speaking of non-herbivores, we have salmon running in the creek on our property. While sitting at the fire pit, we watched an otter pull one out and devour it with one of its younger ones a couple days ago. I pay my cable bill to watch stuff like that on TV!

Date: December 07, 2020 06:04PM

So, Johnny, you are ambivalent about my use of the word herbivorous?

Date: December 07, 2020 06:17PM

Well, OK, maybe one herb :) But $20 doesn't get really you much!

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: December 07, 2020 05:53PM

saw a dollar bill ~

down in a latrine one time ~

threw in a twenty ~

Posted by: laperla not logged in ( )
Date: December 07, 2020 11:52PM

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: December 07, 2020 06:02PM

When I was ten years old, I found $70 in my dad’s wallet.

In retrospect, I should have mentioned it to him.

Date: December 07, 2020 06:05PM

But without that seed money you would never have amassed your present fortune.

Date: December 07, 2020 06:20PM

Somehow seeing "EOD" and "seed money" in the same post makes me feel a bit ambivalent.

Date: December 08, 2020 12:28AM

It all makes more sense once you realize that among bivalves like EOD and me "seed" is the past tense of "see."

Date: December 08, 2020 10:26AM

Ah, I seed your point.

Date: December 08, 2020 05:34PM

If you want to be absolutely correct, it’s “I done seed yer point.”

Date: December 08, 2020 05:37PM

I wish you would just leave my arguement in-tact.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: December 07, 2020 06:11PM

$5 in the pocket of a blaser...so I skipped SS and headed for the confectionery for Cokes and liquorice

Posted by: stillanon ( )
Date: December 07, 2020 06:36PM

$437.00.
In 1987 at a Jitney Jungle (Grocery stores in Mississippi). Went to buy a paper from the metal coin taking newspaper box. Found a ladies wallet sitting on top. Had $437.00 in cash in it. I took her license out and looked through the store to find her. She was gone. Had the store manager broadcast her name over the speakers. No response. Didn't want to leave her wallet with the manager. Went home and looked up her number in the phone book and called her. She didn't even know it was missing. She had just cashed her Social Security check, went grocery shopping and bought a paper on the way out. She lived about 5 miles away. I met her 30 minutes later in the Jitney parking lot. She was 76 and a widow. She was very grateful. Didn't offer a reward (I would've declined it) but told me that I must be a good Baptist boy (little did she know) and that she would pray for me. Strangely, that made me feel good.

Date: December 07, 2020 06:45PM

That's a great story.

Posted by: stillanon ( )
Date: December 07, 2020 07:46PM

I remember it like yesterday. She was driving an Ice blue Olds Delta 98. It was a land yacht. She might have weighed 100 lbs. I remember thinking that she needed to downsize her vehicle.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: December 07, 2020 06:41PM

Date: December 07, 2020 07:34PM

I’m laughing at the thought of you raising your voice, and the $20 bill, “Did anyone here lose this 20 bucks?”

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: December 07, 2020 10:57PM

I saw a penny on the floor near the register line at a supermarket. I held it up and yelled, "Did anybody here lose a penny? Anybody? It has a picture of Abraham Lincoln on it..."

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: December 07, 2020 07:24PM

I found a $20 bill in a parking lot once. I felt like I hit the jackpot!

I'm one of those people who is constantly scanning the ground. IMO the absolute best place to look for coins is an amusement park. I always go home with a pocketful of coins, just from looking at the sidewalks. I imagine the workers who check under the rollercoasters do even better.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: December 07, 2020 09:09PM

Once when I was working retail a customer had a purchase just under $100, handed me $ but it was 2 NEW $100 bills stuck together; I handed the customer the extra $100.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: December 07, 2020 09:11PM

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: December 07, 2020 10:36PM

$1,500.00. But it was mine. I had put the money in a safe place and then forgot where the safe place was. It was in different safe place.

Date: December 07, 2020 10:59PM

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: December 07, 2020 11:09PM

I think it was around $50. Found it in a toy store and as I was talking to the owner about it when a kid came in crying that he had lost it. I was so happy it turned out the right way :)

Date: December 07, 2020 11:32PM

Damn! I gotta teach my kids that scam!

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: December 07, 2020 11:32PM

I found a $100 bill on the floor of the bank and gave it to a cashier. She said, "I'll take that!" LOL

But I did also find a $20 bill outside and so I kept that. Well, until I spent it.

Posted by: laperla not logged in ( )
Date: December 07, 2020 11:59PM

On a downtown corner, beset on all sides by panhandlers, I looked to step to cross the street and saw a 20. Picked it up and had lunch.

Posted by: Onanymous ( )
Date: December 08, 2020 01:34AM

I was on vacation in Rome many years ago, walking down the street and enjoying the sites on a shoestring budget, when I passed by an ATM by a tiny side-street. A recording on it, in English, was saying quite loudly "please take your money" over and over again. Curious, I turned to it, saw that a thick bundle of Euros was sticking out of the slot like the machine was sticking its tongue out. Automatically I grabbed it (no saint I) and walked off as nonchalantly as possible.

Later, when I had a chance to sit down in a secluded spot, I counted it and found that it was $250 Euros, a substantial sum for a backpacker like myself. I used my good fortune, in thanks, to buy myself a couple of extra days in Rome and gave generously to a few beggars that I met in my walks around the city.

Posted by: Onanymous ( )
Date: December 08, 2020 01:36AM

Believe me I know what an insane story that is. I still slap my forehead thinking about it all these years later, that such a weird thing should happen out of the blue, a random ATM machine literally imploring a random passer-by to take money out of it.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: December 08, 2020 09:52AM

My daughter did the same thing in Vienna.

Posted by: CateS ( )
Date: December 08, 2020 07:38PM

I once left money in an ATM. I felt like such a chump when I realized it a few hours later.

Posted by: ufotofuNLI ( )
Date: December 08, 2020 03:11AM

I don't find money, I lose it... and other people find it. That's how it goes. And so it grows...

I usually lose multiple hundreds (too many times actually) but generally only find smaller bills, like 5$ & tens, and that's been five to ten (years). That's my luck!

I'm not a big loser.

I just don't find money.
I have to make it.

Date: December 08, 2020 10:43AM

ufotofuNLI Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I don't find money, I lose it...
>
> I usually lose multiple hundreds (too many times
> actually) but generally only find smaller bills,
> like 5$ & tens, and that's been five to ten
> (years). That's my luck!
>
> I'm not a big loser.

I am! (Or was.)

In my drinking days I went into a bar I frequented and sat down. The bartender came up and poured me a big one, just what I wanted, "Hey, I'm a regular, nice to be known," I said to myself. I reached for my wallet, but the barkeep waved, "It's on the house."

"Nice, thanks!" I said. "What's this all about?"
"Oh, don't you remember? Last night you tipped me a hundred."

When cab driving, I occasionally had huge tippers, usually intoxicated. If the booze hadn't made them generous, they probably had fumble-fingered their denominations.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: December 08, 2020 10:52AM

So nice their denominations could help yours.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: December 08, 2020 10:10AM

Pell grants when I was going to go to college. It was a life changer.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: December 08, 2020 11:17AM

$180000 cruzeiros in Brazil. About $60 US.

One hundred billion dollar zimbabwe note. Worthless but fun.

Posted by: Tyson Dunn ( )
Date: December 08, 2020 11:47AM

At the time, the exchange rate was about 5½ Francs to the dollar, so it was about $17. My companion and I really did need money at the time, but neither of us thought that God had blessed us. Instead we walked up and down the street looking for people who might have lost it. The trouble was it was the middle of the day and basically no one was around. So we kept it.

That said, I once had my wallet stolen with 250 Marks (about $135) on a train in Germany, and I once lost a change purse with $200 in the US.

Tyson

Posted by: Tyson Dunn ( )
Date: December 08, 2020 11:52AM

I was sitting at a bus stop once wearing my tatty old coat, when some girls walked up and started pitching pennies into the gutter. I looked over at them and said (surprising myself), "If you're just going to throw those away, I'll take them."

They each walked over and poured their loose change - a few dollars' worth altogether - into my cupped hands, before hopping the next bus.

In retrospect, I guess I might have looked like a homeless person, but even still, the idea of throwing away pennies and other small loose change is anathema to me.

Of course, I'm also the guy who paid my entire bus fare once in pennies before the local bus system where I was living stopped accepting them.

Tyson

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2020 11:53AM by Tyson Dunn.

Posted by: W8sted2years ( )
Date: December 08, 2020 02:37PM

Found approx $90k after i subpoenaed my ex wife bank records. My TBM wife had secret bank account in her name for years..I also found out she was paying nearly 20% gross tithing..she was paying on my income in her own name behind my back.

Posted by: sd ( )
Date: December 08, 2020 02:58PM

quarter on the ground. Bend down to pick it up and found it was actually glued to the ground. Some kind of prank. So I went to my truck, got a screwdriver, returned to the scene of the prank and pried that sucker up.

Date: December 08, 2020 06:38PM

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: December 14, 2020 07:31AM

Oh sd! That is SO you :)

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: December 08, 2020 06:42PM

3 cents left on top of the TV set

Date: December 08, 2020 07:42PM

Hey, that was mine!

Date: December 14, 2020 11:24PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/2020 11:24PM by caffiend.

Posted by: CateS ( )
Date: December 08, 2020 07:42PM

Reading this thread has been so entertaining it’s made up for the time I left that money in the ATM.

Posted by: Belle ( )
Date: December 14, 2020 02:43AM

$4,475

Posted by: One True Search Engine ( )
Date: December 14, 2020 07:46AM

$50 which was convenient as I needed to get a taxi at the time.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.