Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: December 08, 2020 02:21PM

Within that past month I've had some of my more conservative Christian friends post the following, or something similar on Facebook --

"Liberals get ready to fill out your reports on me, cause I'm going to vent here. Frankly I expect some "unfriending" to happen and that is fine too.

I believe we all have the right to worship as we please, but I also know that our country, the United States of America, was founded on Christian principles.

I believe we should be proud of our country. A quote is a quote. It should not be amended or watered down. The news media organizations should not be afraid to use the "Love of Christ" part. Why they state, “Because, using the words Christ or God might offend someone!” Well, now it's my turn to be offended!

I'm offended that the news media would edit it out. Offended that Christians are being asked to tread lightly, so as not to offend someone of another religion. This man, Jesus, loved God, loved his people, loved the world, and gave his life for the sins of all people. Those who believe in Him, and accept Him as their personal Savior, will have everlasting life !!!

This Founding Principle is actually embedded in our Declaration of Independence: “We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness.”

I hope every Christian or every person that believes in God who is OFFENDED will copy this and paste it to their status.....“If we ever forget that we're one nation under GOD, then we will be a nation gone under.” ~Ronald Reagan.

*Before you say it, I already know that a lot of you don't copy & paste.* It’s easy... hold your finger on this post when the word copy appears just touch it then go to your home page and where it says "what's on your mind" touch it and hold your finger where you would start writing your comment and "paste.”

If you read this to the end, can I get an "Amen”?"

---------------------------------------------------------------

And of course, there are a lot of people responding with an "Amen." When I asked my friend exactly which quote had been edited out, she had no idea. She was just sharing what someone else had shared with her.

The first time I saw something similar, it was throwing "liberals," Andy Rooney, and Katie Couric, and a major network under the bus for supposedly editing out religious references from a video news report. In that case, I was easily able to look up the incident on Snopes, which debunked it. Some relatives of a fallen soldier had been interviewed by a major network, and had made religious references in their interviews. The references were left intact in the news video. You could even watch the news video yourself to verify this.

When I pointed out the above to my friend, the response was, "Well, it doesn't matter because this post is about PRAYER." Huh? You don't mind making spurious allegations against people in the name of your religious beliefs?

It seems to me that such posts are dog-whistles meant to rile people up. Truth is the last thing the writers care about.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: December 08, 2020 02:44PM

I don't understand it. You'd think people would want to get the basic facts right.

Posted by: iceman9090 ( )
Date: December 10, 2020 12:09AM

Nightingale Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I don't understand it. You'd think people would
> want to get the basic facts right.

Let's not get basic facts in the way of our fantasies and testimonies.

Real reply: When we are sitting at the table of truth, I would play by the rules. The rules are to be honest, to be logical, to use reasonable reasons, no special pleading, evidence, science.
I can tolerate errors. I expect the other person to correct himself and I will do the same.

When the other person wants to bullshit, then it is time for me to leave.

~~~~iceman9090

Posted by: Dr. No ( )
Date: December 12, 2020 01:09PM

iceman9090 Wrote:

> Let's not get basic facts in the way of our
> fantasies and testimonies.

===============================

Bingo.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: December 08, 2020 03:47PM

Agree with thy adversary while you are in the way with him.

I think social media is designed to make people take offense. Pushing your buttons is how they make their money. If your friend is making mountains out of mole hills, it means the media is working as designed.

The networks used to run their news departments as a public service, subsidized by their ad revenue. 60 Minutes killed that model by being very profitable. Now the news is profit driven, which means it’s a popularity contest.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: December 08, 2020 05:49PM

I think that I'm seeing something completely different from what the religious conservatives are seeing. I'm seeing people (reporters, anchors, news organizations, liberals) being unfairly maligned. My friends who post this drivel are simply doing it as a statement of faith. The fact that there are a whole lot of lies involved doesn't seem to bother them. They have a "Christians against the world" type of mentality.

I find it fascinating that people can take away two entirely different points of view after reading something like that.

Date: December 08, 2020 06:08PM

Shouldn’t that tell you that they live in an elaborate world of lies? That’s where lack of critical thinking gets you. So, what are our schools teaching? Maybe that’s what rubs you the wrong way. If they were warned that the blind lead the blind into a ditch, why are they lemmings?

Wishful thinking is not faith. Obedience is not faith. If it were, North Korea would be Heaven. There is a mustard seed and there is a tree. The seed leaves the sowers hand, then it’s on its own. Even in a group it’s on its own. That’s why Utah Mormons are worse than the rest.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: December 08, 2020 06:53PM

bradley Wrote:
> Agree with thy adversary while you are in the way
> with him.
>
> I think social media is designed to make people
> take offense. Pushing your buttons is how they
> make their money. If your friend is making
> mountains out of mole hills, it means the media is
> working as designed.
>
> The networks used to run their news departments as
> a public service, subsidized by their ad revenue.
> 60 Minutes killed that model by being very
> profitable. Now the news is profit driven, which
> means it’s a popularity contest.
I agree. It seems They tell THEM what THEM wants to hear

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2020 06:57PM by thedesertrat1.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: December 08, 2020 06:24PM

" , , , that they are endowed by their Creator . . ."

Creator is a pretty wide open word. But these people immediately interpret that as "THEIR Jesus" and "THEIR God" and then keep adding that this nation was founded on THEIR Christian principles. THIER religion.

The constitution never said that.

God didn't even get an upgrade to having a by-line on money until the 1950's I believe?

And anyone who has studied the Founding Fathers knows that Born Again-Southern Baptist-Mormon-Evangelists they were not.

And what the focus in the constitution of that line is really about---Rights. Life, liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness for all and not the idea of Christian imperialism. Like summer said, re: Christians against the world mentality.

Date: December 12, 2020 12:25PM

“God didn't even get an upgrade to having a by-line on money until the 1950's I believe?”

It was a kickback for winning WWII.

Date: December 12, 2020 12:42PM

Maybe I'm just tired but that made me laugh a lot. Really.

Posted by: blindguy ( )
Date: December 09, 2020 12:07AM

The Facebook post you're referring to (and I've seen email postings of it as well) is short on facts but long on emotions. There is one overarching fact, not mentioned in the post, however, that is really driving it; namely, the estimation that by 2050, white people will no longer make up the majority of the U.S. population. I learned about this prediction from NPR back in 1995, and while I have no problems with getting along with people with different skin colors and ethnicities than myself, a lot of my fellow Caucasians (including many people in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints) are terrified at the prospect of no longer being a member of the majority of the U.S. population; namely, white Protestant Christians.

There have been, and there will continue to be, ongoing efforts in both the political and policy arenas to try and roll back this population shift with that Facebook (and email) post being just the tip of the iceberg. White Evangelical Protestants with some hefty financial backing behind them are working on plans to either reverse the current population trends or to make sure that Caucasian Protestant rule continues unabated even after this skin color no longer defines a majority of the population (the evangelical Protestant part is already a minority).

You read it here first.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: December 09, 2020 03:37AM

Posted by: Kentish ( )
Date: December 09, 2020 10:27AM

Can you provide a name or identity for this sinister group? Perhaps, too, just who is providing the "hefty financial backing"?

Posted by: macaRomney ( )
Date: December 09, 2020 10:54AM

I have my doubts concerning drastic ratio changes in the "white population." If we look back into history there's always been a lot of minorities. In the deep South whites were always outnumbered and everywhere else there's always been brown people (Indians) in large numbers, unless there was a war or something.

What I've heard from the mainstream conservative nationalists, folks like Douglas Murray and Mark Stines, isn't so much stopping minority people in society, but letting the majority have a say in not overwhelming the system all at once, assimilation has to happen, just not all in one year, but spread out over time, so they can learn western ideals and actually adopt them sufficiently.

This conspiracy that conservatives supposedly believe just aint reality. It's not the truth.

Posted by: ookami ( )
Date: December 10, 2020 09:04PM

macaRomney Wrote:
> I have my doubts concerning drastic ratio changes
> in the "white population." If we look back into
> history there's always been a lot of minorities.
> In the deep South whites were always outnumbered
> and everywhere else there's always been brown
> people (Indians) in large numbers, unless there
> was a war or something.

Guy, the issue isn't about whether minorities exist, it's about how insecure, melanin-deficient dipshits keep treating them like crap. Of course, you'd never speak against those dipshits. They're your pals after all.

>
> What I've heard from the mainstream conservative
> nationalists, folks like Douglas Murray and Mark
> Stines, isn't so much stopping minority people in
> society, but letting the majority have a say in
> not overwhelming the system all at once,
> assimilation has to happen, just not all in one
> year, but spread out over time, so they can learn
> western ideals and actually adopt them
> sufficiently.
>

Congratulations, you have figured out how to describe racist bunk in Apologist-speak.

Plus, you are one of the last people who should encourage people to be judge by their ideals, macaRomeny. If people were to do that, there wouldn't be anyone on Earth who could stand you.

> This conspiracy that conservatives supposedly
> believe just aint reality. It's not the truth.

We know it's not the truth. That's why I'm pissed at fuck-nuggets like you who act like it is. Again, you describe that "conspiracy" in Apologist-speak one line earlier.

Use what remaining brain cells you have and try to realize your "Me special, different bad" mindset is complete horseshit.

Date: December 11, 2020 09:48PM

macaRomney Wrote:
--------------------------------------------
> assimilation has to happen,

Why does it have to happen?

> ... so they can learn
> western ideals and actually adopt them
> sufficiently.

"They" may not want to learn and adopt. And who defines "sufficiently"?

Might doesn't automatically make right. Who says majority rules and everybody else must assimilate? Can't we go for a bright patchwork quilt rather than an olive army blanket?

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: December 11, 2020 10:12PM

What's the point, NG?

Date: December 12, 2020 12:16PM

I don't like to see racist sh!t just hanging out there.

But I know what you mean, LW.

Posted by: Adam the warrior ( )
Date: December 09, 2020 03:21AM

All I know is I noticed that mentioning the name Christ makes people mad. I may need to investigate this as to why. Did the guy do something horrendous in the Bible that I missed? I admit I have not read a whole lot of the Bible. As we know the Mormon religion tends to ignore the Bible almost entirely and only mentions Christ at the end of prayers soley and puts the guys name on their building just as a front or a cover.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: December 09, 2020 11:32AM

I think it is not really offense, but frustration. Imagine how you would feel if people kept blabbering on about a magic unicorn and even wanted to form laws you must follow around it. Every time they bring up the magic unicorn your eyes are going to roll. Then they act all offended if you don't act adequately respectful. Add to that the cloak of sacredness which shields the unicorn from criticism and scrutiny.

It's one thing to respect people and support their rights to believe what they want. It's another to be expected to respect the actual beliefs.

Date: December 10, 2020 01:53AM

Even if magic was totally taken off the table the name Christ would still piss people. Why? I have no idea. If some regular human guy that stood up for good principles back in the day was named Christ it would still piss people off for 2000 years.

Not even Beavis and butthead offends like saying the name Christ.

It is the craziest phenomenon above anything said or shown on television to date. Or even written about in any books to date. I've never seen other fictional characters take this kind of heat. Its interesting to say the least.

Posted by: thegoodman ( )
Date: December 10, 2020 09:39AM

Yeah, a religion that members proselytize that they're better than everyone else, try to shame others into following their imaginary rules, who abuse and indoctrinate children with shame and guilt cycles, and who get super entitled and uppity when anyone says no, you can't do that here, as if they aren't one of the largest groups of people in the world.

Yeah, it's so bizarre, people getting offended just hearing Christ's name. It's not as if every time his name comes up in conversation or public discourse, he's being used as a weapon and a tool against those who don't care about him.

Posted by: ookami ( )
Date: December 10, 2020 09:15PM

Adam, the issue people have with Christ is not mentioning his name or what he taught. The issue is that Mormons aren't the only scumbags who judge everyone else, extort money from people, and try to force their ways on everyone else in the name of a guy who wanted people to try being nice to each other.

Most of the folks pissed at mentioning Christ aren't pissed at his name or vampires, they just can't stand assholes using his name to justify agendas.

BTW, Jesus isn't the only fictional character who inspires anger. Ask anyone who's read the manga "Berserk" and the name Griffith will tend to inspire blood-boiling rage (with good reason).

Date: December 11, 2020 09:24PM

I see. Thank you for explaining that.

I also disagree with using the guys name as a weapon to push an agenda for personal gain.

Lord knows Christ's name was weaponized against me growing up. It got very tiresome. Pretty sure it was used to control me.

Posted by: nli ( )
Date: December 09, 2020 11:15AM

I just watched a video of the standp-up comic Lewis Black. He said, "Of course the US is a Christian nation. How do I know this? I'm a Jew!"

Date: December 09, 2020 11:17AM

Ka-ching! It's not just pictures that are worth a thousand words.

Date: December 10, 2020 03:35AM

Yes, everyone knows the story of the Jews and turning against one of their own back in the day. But why? Christ was not even rich to be envious of like a Lewis black character.

Date: December 12, 2020 12:37PM

But if Jesus came back he could be rich. He could win a lottery or two and put his winnings in great investments. Kind of like Biff Tanner in Back to the Future. So, why does he need a $100B rainy day fund?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/12/2020 12:38PM by bradley.

Posted by: iceman9090 ( )
Date: December 10, 2020 12:28AM

summer Wrote:

"I believe we all have the right to worship as we please, but I also know that our country, the United States of America, was founded on Christian principles."

==#1. What are these christian principles? List all of them and make sure you quote the Bible.
#2. Link me to the rule's book or law book of your country, the USA where these same principles are present.
#3. When you failed to find one of these principles, explain to me why the principle was not present in the law book.
#4. Also, the reverse. When you find a law in your law book that is not present in the Bible.

I hope my questions did not catch anyone off guard.
When someone makes a claim, it generates questions. Don't be surprised if I have questions.

~~~~iceman9090

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: December 10, 2020 09:28PM

Yeah, this.

I've asked a few Christians which Christian principles they were talking about and they had no answer.

I reminded them that God is a monarch who makes all the rules and we can't change them, whereas the US is a representative government where the right to govern originates with the people, and where we humans make and change the rules. Not the same thing.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: December 10, 2020 12:31AM

I take offense at christians taking offense.

Posted by: Cauda ( )
Date: December 10, 2020 03:48AM

Personally I think it is interesting that people who live their christian religious life, interpersonally in uniforms, "job-comforting" each other can be offended by what the world does to them. What the world does to them is something that should not be breaking news. It is the content in the gospel.

When the pandemic is over and God allows me I will find the opportunity to participate in a Believer's baptism event at some lake resort. It is very likely that is the only thing I will do in a religious form for the rest of my life in the world.

Because God does not want me to give him the blessings he gives me.

Date: December 10, 2020 10:19AM

Me too.

Constantly painting yourself as the victim when you are in fact the perpetrator has been their go-to for, well, ever.

I loved my Dad and he was a good man, but when he went on and on about how persecuted Mormons were, well, that caused me to start practicing the gnashing of teeth long before being sent to outer darkness where it would be mandatory.

Date: December 11, 2020 10:36PM

narcissists do that. Paint themselves as the victim but are actually the perpetrators/abusers. Sorry, had to add in my studies of narcissism and that behavior fits one of their MOs.

Date: December 12, 2020 12:43PM

But it’s not a cult.

Posted by: Heidi GWOTR ( )
Date: December 12, 2020 01:01PM

I just have to put something in here. A family of good friends of mine are church-going Christian. And, they try to live everything Christ taught about love. As you know, I don't even believe there was such a person. But, if I'm wrong, and he's looking down, he would say of these people, "They got it!".

They don't push their religion on anyone. As a matter of fact, they just sent me a "Yuletide spell greeting card". It was beautiful.

Every group has assholes. Unfortunately, many of those in power right now claim to be Christians. They're not. Not really.

And, many, who feel they have no or little power are also "Christian" (they may or may not really be), see what little power they have draining away, because their religion is losing power. They are fearful of losing that.

Anyway, that's how I see it. YMMV.

Date: December 12, 2020 01:13PM

Observe carefully.

Do you notice the secret glee at being offended, just beneath the umbrage display?
They love it.

Why is that?

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: December 12, 2020 04:33PM

It worked politically, didn't it?

Persuade enough people that they are victims and the next thing you know, you aren't just rythmically chanting pseudo-African languages: you are also the president's spiritual advisor.

I hear a sound of victory. . .

Date: December 13, 2020 07:38PM

Momentarily stopped eating popcorn even

They actively look for reasons to be offended, because offense is highly addictive (triggers a dopamine rush to the nucleus accumbens 'pleasure center' -- which kinda explains today's news programs). Sitting in judgment of a hapless 'designated offender' makes them feel morally superior and strengthens their group identity.

They are psychologically unintegrated (primitive):
I am all good, the bad is all out there, so I have to continually find scapegoats to carry the bad.

Leave them alone long enough and they begin turning on each other.

Taking offense as hobby.

Posted by: Phoney Moroni ( )
Date: December 13, 2020 05:39PM

In my experience, a lot of stupid people, share/repost, a lot of stupid stuff on Facebook.

Religious & patriotic tend to be the top 2 that I see.

Social media is tailor made for such people.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.