Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: praydude ( )
Date: December 08, 2020 07:30PM

I mean honestly, those things were a high point in my life growing up. Everybody worked so hard to make the scenery and practice their lines and then the rehearsals every week and sometimes twice a week. I just loved it.

Probably one of the few things I miss about the cult. Of course they cut them out for some stupid reason.

I can't imagine what keeps the current membership involved in the cult if they don't have fun programs like that.

Church must be boring as hell.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dogbloggernli ( )
Date: December 08, 2020 07:52PM

Oh hell no!

Those are awful terrible experiences and productions.

I hated the years we did roadshows the most.

Posted by: lapsed2 ( )
Date: December 08, 2020 09:19PM

I loved doing those too. I guess too much of a liability now, with kids riding in the back of a pickup holding scenery, in costumes...ah good times. And they wonder why the Youth of Zion
are leaving in droves. Nothing there for them anymore.

Date: December 09, 2020 01:32PM

You made me laugh with the visual of costumed kids clinging onto scenery in the back of a pickup truck! I remember doing that!

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: December 10, 2020 02:14PM

COVID rules out Fun in lots of situations, Fun isn't on the list of ChurchCo goals or principles, CONTROL is.

just sayin'

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: December 13, 2020 12:40PM

That was back in the day when there was a big focus on fellowship and giving the youth wholesome alternatives to secular activities. Now the focus is totally on brainwashing. If there’s not an indoctrination aspect to an “activity” it’s not allowed. And they don’t care about losing the “weak” ones who need fellowship and friends more than indoctrination.

Don’t get me wrong. I really hated being a mormon weirdo in my teen years. But I loved that if I had to be, I had plenty of like-minded weirdos to surround myself with and fun insular activities. I can’t imagine being a mormon teen today with the circumstances of my teen years. Although I do think they’ve cracked down on the sexually abusive bishop interviews and protecting other abusers in their ranks and that would have been better.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/13/2020 12:43PM by NormaRae.

Posted by: JoeSmith666 ( )
Date: December 08, 2020 09:50PM

L-d$,inc has gone from having programs for every age level and family member during the week to almost nothing.
The Ward buildings were in use almost every day of the week. It encouraged participation and helped with knowing your neighbors and fellow members.

From All Church sports tournaments to scout hikes and campouts to Relief Society activity sessions, there was something going on. In many Wards I was in the girls did a lot more than just MIA once a week.

With cutting the programs L-d$,inc has cut the family atmosphere and real feelings of brotherhood they used to foster.

Leadership is dumber than dirt in not being able to figure out how badly they screwed up on this one.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: December 09, 2020 01:24AM

I wrote a roadshow skit in my first ward. Part of it involved using milk in a parody of wine-tasting. Having been married to a serious wine snob for years, I knew just the right touches to bring in the affectations. The audience loved it.

Date: December 09, 2020 01:28PM

HA! Now that sounds clever AND funny!

Posted by: The original MOI! ( )
Date: December 10, 2020 10:50AM

In the mid 70s I was in one. It was a 'diet' themed one. We sang a song about good and bad food to the tune of Grieg's Hall of the Mountain King, "Dig into those pies and cakes, pies and cakes, pies and cakes..." (can't remember the rest). My part was holding up a very large cardboard bottle of milk about 5 feet tall as part of the good food group. LOL! My God!

As cornball as it was, it was a good diversion to go to the Raymond Cultural Hall and practice with everyone else and do some socializing across ward lines.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: December 10, 2020 10:53AM

I agree. It did a body good.

Date: December 10, 2020 02:16PM

Raymond, Washington?

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: December 09, 2020 09:10AM

The church is not entirely at fault. Society has changed a lot and there isn't a lot of spare time during the week for activities. People are overworked, stressed out and just trying to get by now.

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: December 11, 2020 12:27PM

Must be because of the time spent looking at cell phones and other devices. I think people make time for the things that are important to them. Socializing with people is now less important than interacting with a device. I have younger family members who often are only half involved with the live conversation around them because the rest of their attention is focused on not missing a beep on their phones. One of the reasons I gave up on cell phones when I retired.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: December 09, 2020 10:27AM

"A mule is an animal with long funny ears . . ." was the song as the finale to the best one I remember. It was hammy and fun. They won because they could really haromonize.

I also remember when my mother was RS president they had quilting bees with pot lucks and craft projects and actually took care of all the people who needed something. At mutual I learned to do the box waltz, cha cha and a few others. Hayrides . . . I could go on.

I take Devoted Exmo's comment too. The trend in society is that if you are not over-worked, stressed out, and multitasking your ass off, then you are a failure. I just read someone stating that last night in an article about why people can't cope with a shut down---besides the financial aspect, of course.

All Mormonism and no life make Brother Jack a dull, unfulfilled boy.

Date: December 09, 2020 01:31PM

All mormonism and no life does make it seem super dull. It seems that in a way gutting those programs cut out the soul of the cult. I suppose I should be more happy about that as mormonism does need to die...

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: December 09, 2020 11:14AM

Never did go to them. Not my thing. Dislike musical intensely.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/09/2020 11:14AM by Lethbridge Reprobate.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: December 09, 2020 11:39AM

Ditto.

That kind of thing was never remotely anything I was interested in doing. I would have considered it punishment.

I am not a fan of musicals either.

Posted by: The original MOI! ( )
Date: December 10, 2020 10:59AM

The only musical I can tolerate is The Sound of Music. Mom's favorite movie. I remember seeing it during it's initial run at the Paramount Theater in Lethbridge once a week when it first came out. I didn't care as I got treats, and the Paramount back then, movies were an event and I was always mezmerized by the two color wheels flanking the fancy curtains and how the colors changed. The scenery in the movie is fantastic and it was one of the high points of mom's life when we toured Europe and she saw Salzburg and some of the filming locations. Now she's gone, and that movie simply brings back nice memories of her.

But too many musicals are pure crap, especially the stupid What's his name Lloyd Weber junk. Cats? Joseph with an Elvis pharoah. Really? The only thing worse than musicals are the goddamn Hallmark Christmas movies. My good hell!

Date: December 10, 2020 02:10PM

Years ago I attended "The Sing-Along Sound of Music" at the Castro theater in San Francisco. It was a transcendent experience. First of all, as we arrived the Wurlitzer organ was played by an amazing organist who strung all of the songs from that musical together in a medley. They handed out swag bags that included a paper-cut edelweiss and an invitation to the Captain's ball.

EVERYthing was sung. The chanting of the nuns in the beginning was sung by the whole audience.

When the Nazis were searching for the family people brought flashlights and were sweeping them around the theater. It was very funny.

Really the whole experience made me think that church should be more like that. People gathering together to share a love for something amazing and for each other.

I need to go back when Covid is over...

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: December 11, 2020 12:17AM

Interesting. I have never watched The Sound of Music..by choice.

Posted by: Kentish ( )
Date: December 11, 2020 02:52PM

The millions who have enjoyed Cats and JATDC would disagree with you. My understanding is that Joseph was expanded from a simple school production written for a child of one of the creators. They used popular comparisons from ever day culture to make the images have current meaning. Hence the great king of Egypt could only be The King Elvis. To each his own.if nothing else, Joseph is a terrific vehicle to introduce children to the joys of live theatre.

Date: December 09, 2020 12:09PM

Some of my best memories in Mormonism are around the roadshows.

It was a communal effort. People helping each other to entertain others. Now we just use our phones.

Date: December 10, 2020 04:07PM

On the practical side, it's almost impossible for any org to have a program for (nearly) everyone; so while the 'One Size Fits All' approach has limitations, spreading skills so thin as to appeal to everyone would only work in a large population.

my interest was amateur radio during high school, how many wards or even stakes could support that, or chess, or swimming, basket weaving, etc.

Only if you live in a perfect world, my friends.

Posted by: ufotofuNLI ( )
Date: December 10, 2020 10:49PM

GNPE Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> On the practical side, it's almost impossible for any org to have a program for (nearly) everyone; so while the 'One Size Fits All' approach has limitations, spreading skills so thin as to appeal to everyone would only work in a large population.
>

Not sure what's meant here, but,
You're saying it's an impossibility? TSCC is Too Big? The talent pool would be too shallow? Anyway□

TLdSC has better things to do than LET PEOPLE BE FREE to do their own thing. Invent. Create. Impromptu...

See, it's not the "Lord's will".
It's that the moneybags WON'T.

People might be TOO HAPPY. Something might get broken. The carpets will get stains. Somebody might slip and fall. Something might not be Approved.

CHURCH
CHURCH
CHURCH

That's ALL the "church" cares about.

AND 'The People's Money'

NOT their time
Just Their Money
From That Time

AND More CHURCH Time
And illusions......
Delusions...
PROMISES
Threats
Guilt!!!

But NO FUN
No Roads and
No Shows

No Shirk
No Shows
No Service

That's Mormonism for ya'
All frump and no fun

Date: December 11, 2020 05:20PM

in the context of nearly all wards + some stakes, can't appeal to diverse groups or interests); I doubt that Roadshows today would interest enough teens / youth.

Can't go back in time when they were popular; this is the age of cell phones, electronic entertainment.

Date: December 13, 2020 09:55PM

True

(anti)social media electric pandora's box rabbit hole isolation unit

BUT, The Rode Show could be filmed and shared (live, or later, after editing, etc.) or whatever the youth wanted to do with it. Get creative...

OR, whatever the New Name of it be, the youth could gather (as opposed to being gathered) and create things, build things, DO things... rather than always being preached at and talked to, or at....................blah bla blagh...........................................................chastity................GUILT.....................SHAME........................Embarrassment....Lies, misinformation................blahBLAHblah....

Nope!

INDOCTRINATION

NO fun

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: December 10, 2020 07:48PM

Date: December 10, 2020 09:05PM

anybody posts a valid point, but:

with Heavenly Inspiration, the GAs will have a revelation as to appropriate activities to attract & entertain THIS Generation;

waiting...

Date: December 10, 2020 11:07PM

GNPE Wrote:
> with Heavenly Inspiration, the GAs will have a [reaction (rejection?)] as to INappropriate activities to attract & entertain THIS Generation;
>

Mormonism DOESN'T attract.
It's NOT attractive- Okay?

ENTERTAIN? You're joking right? OmG

CHURCH, sacrilegious sacraments, TITHING, Missingary WORK, Template WORK, CHURCH WORK...

The ENTERTAINMENT is meant for the afterlife, where people live happily ever after (as they are supposed to be - and should be - doing in this lifetime).

THIS Life is meant
In their minds?
for "church" WORK

The entertainment is in the details

Date: December 10, 2020 10:55PM

anybody Wrote:
> n/t

Of Course!

They want to do ANYTHING lds
And also anything NOT [lds].

Tell them they can skip Sundays to do a 2-3 hour "Roadshow" [needs renaming] once a week and you'd have you're 100% attendance = At TEN Dance!

The youth simply want to get together. Especially OUT OF 》Sunday dress《!

Date: December 11, 2020 01:29PM

Yes.

Edit: Just think of the Social Media and TikTok opportunities.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/11/2020 01:29PM by Elder Berry.

Date: December 13, 2020 10:00PM

anybody Wrote:
> n/t

¤NOPE¤

What TEENS ever did?

Like (Mormon) 'church'
We went because we had to

pfSH°○●□■□●○°•°•°•°

We HAD TO be around mormons
They were at the rode shows
TOO, because they had to

Posted by: Bamboozled ( )
Date: December 15, 2020 04:57PM

Hello, High School Musical.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: December 11, 2020 05:09PM

Mormonism is indeed a roadshow.

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: December 11, 2020 05:27PM

I would classify it as a different four letter word show.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: December 11, 2020 05:29PM

Yup !

Date: December 13, 2020 12:49PM

I doubt that very many youth will commit to Mormonism because of Roadshows or any new similar presentation.

Possibly some will be peer pressured to participate and resent it sometime later.

I see nothing 'wrong' with them but teens are much different now than 30 yrs. ago!!

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: December 15, 2020 03:48PM

Roadshows made teens local stars.

General Conference makes church leaders global rock stars.

Guess why roadshows were eliminated.

Date: December 15, 2020 07:33PM

I'm waiting for some missionaries to become Facebook rockstars and make the "brethren" rethink this approach.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: December 15, 2020 07:43PM

Mormon Missionary Online Influencers!

Yeah, that's perfectly reasonable!!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.