Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Dorothy ( )
Date: December 15, 2020 09:17AM

That was entirely decent of them. Surely even the Mormons are weary of the drama and ugliness.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: December 15, 2020 11:01AM

Did ChurchCo congratulate DJT when he "won" 2016?

what about prior elections, including local ones?

'Of Course' ChurchCo wouldn't pander to a POTUS, a Governor, or other election winners, Right?

btw: I recall from living in Toledo, OH that 'dog warden' is (was?) an elective office; did the winner get congrats from ChurchCo?

Posted by: Gordon B. Stinky ( )
Date: December 15, 2020 11:56AM

At the bottom of the page are links to statements congratulating previous winners, including Trump and Obama.

This is SOP for TSCC. Next he’ll be presented a work up his family tree at some opportune juncture.

Posted by: Adam the Adam ( )
Date: December 19, 2020 03:42AM

Old dog was elected? When did this happen?

Posted by: Dr. No ( )
Date: December 15, 2020 11:08AM

Can only mean it required holy revelation from Gahd face-to-face

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: December 15, 2020 11:10AM

I know many many Democrat Mormons.

Posted by: Toronto Boy ( )
Date: December 15, 2020 11:26AM

I follow what is happening in USA. Seems that election is still tied up in legal issues. Does not look like Trump will win but still there are legal issues pending. Until Jan 20 why would a church that says follow the laws of the land (an article of faith I learned years ago) congratulate someone who had not been certified by Congress. That happens Jan 6. So it’s still up in the air who is President. As Christ’s true Church you would think Jesus would stay out of this until Congress does it’s job or court intervenes.
But then look at what they did in Germany with Nazi’s last war. It’s all about politics, money, money and fame for Dusty Rusty. I thought that in the USA state and religion were separate. I bet there are going to be a lot of people lying at temple recommend time when asked if they support Rusty.

Date: December 15, 2020 11:38AM

It will still be "up in the air" well after January 6th.
Keeps that delicious sense of victimhood stoked, and so is a great money-maker.

(Talking January 6th, 2022)

Posted by: scmd1 ( )
Date: December 15, 2020 01:52PM

It's no longer up in the air except as Trump and his followers see it, and they will still be protesting these results long after Biden has completed his term or terms and is out of office.
Even Mitch McConnell has finally voiced acceptance of Biden's victory.

Toronto Boy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>Until Jan 20 why would a
> church that says follow the laws of the land (an
> article of faith I learned years ago) congratulate
> someone who had not been certified by Congress.
> That happens Jan 6.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: December 15, 2020 02:11PM

No, there are no pending legal issues. That ship has sailed, foundered, and sunk. If somebody in Congress objects on Jan 6, then each house of Congress retires to resolve the objection. If there is no resolution, then on Jan 20, the Speaker of the House becomes president. There is zero chance the House will agree to let Trump be sworn in. There is also zero chance the Senate will allow Nancy Pelosi to be sworn in, even for a day. Therefor, nothing is going to happen out of the usual on Jan 6.

The Church routinely congratulates national elected officials and even state officials in Utah. It is both polite and diplomatically the smart thing to do. This is not even remotely unusual.

Heck, even Vladimir has congratulated Biden. If that doesn't signal that it's over, I don't know what it would take.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: December 15, 2020 07:37PM

Right? And we all know he's not Russian anything.

Posted by: JoeSmith666 ( )
Date: December 15, 2020 10:45PM

What is interesting is the generic congratulations. Last two elections this was from 1st Presidency and Twelve.

This time - they don't commit themselves at all.

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: December 15, 2020 11:06PM

Yesterday December 14th, the Electorial College officially voted Joe Biden to become the next President. At this point Biden is now officially the "President Elect". The Senate still needs to recognize the Election. But the die is cast and Biden is currently the President Elect even though there are still things left to do before he can be sworn in. As a Trump supporter I am not happy about that. But what I want doesn't change the facts. This Electorial College vote is why Mitch McConnell has finally started calling Biden the President Elect and has urged his fellow Senate Republicans to do the same and has asked them not to object in the formal proceedings going forward. I'll respect his office and hopefully he will do a good job.

The Church is just sucking-up. All they had to do was recognize the Electorial College vote and it gave them some free press. Who does the church think they are or should be to publicly approve or disapprove of a political office holder? Like they think they matter.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2020 11:12PM by azsteve.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: December 16, 2020 04:19AM

I would have waited until Trump conceded. It’s still in play. This is far from being a normal election. There is a constitutional process still in play. Too soon to call it. But the church is a political ass kisser. They are covering all their bases.

Date: December 16, 2020 08:54AM

XD

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: December 16, 2020 10:51AM

It isn't in the slightest bit necessary for Trump to concede. It would be the grownup thing for him to do, but it isn't necessary. And the election isn't "still in play." It's over. Biden will be president. It was not even a particularly close election.

I find the amount of delusion in this country really disturbing. Many people have become divorced from reality. It's no longer about a difference of political opinion. People are demonizing perfectly good and decent people with whom they simply disagree.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: December 17, 2020 09:10PM

The election is not "still in play." The election is over, the outcome decided, and there's an angry old man in the attic claiming that it just ain't so.

The constitutional process is over. It was over when the Electoral College did its work; the rest of this, the 30 plus failed law suits, the claims that the courts should intervene to overthrow an election despite the absence of such provision in the constitution, is nonsense.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/17/2020 09:33PM by Lot's Wife.

Date: December 19, 2020 10:56AM

Lot's Wife Wrote:
> The constitutional process is over. It was over
> when the Electoral College did its work;
===============================

Yet is in not remarkable how vulnerable this majestic seemingly solid and indestructible ship called American Democracy actually is.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BcWnF-udRNk

Anand Giridharadas remarked that we have been gifted with something very rare:
an advance copy of our autopsy.
We have been provided a document very clearly indicating precisely what killed us, and how we died; but we didn't actually die.

So with this advance copy of our autopsy we now get some agency to not die in the way that was foretold.
Most democracies do not get this opportunity.

Posted by: josephssmmyth ( )
Date: December 19, 2020 11:34AM

Dr. No Wrote:
> Lot's Wife Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > The constitutional process is over. It was
> over
> > when the Electoral College did its work;
> ===============================
>
> Yet is in not remarkable how vulnerable this
> majestic seemingly solid and indestructible ship
> called American Democracy actually is.
>
> https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BcWnF-udRNk
>
> Anand Giridharadas remarked that we have been
> gifted with something very rare:
> an advance copy of our autopsy.
> We have been provided a document very clearly
> indicating precisely what killed us, and how we
> died; but we didn't actually die.
>
> So with this advance copy of our autopsy we now
> get some agency to not die in the way that was
> foretold.
> Most democracies do not get this opportunity.

Goofs. It's called the "Orange Revolution" nice color choice, eh?

2005 Ukrainian election fraud righted

Not a Hindenburg, (youtube vid) capturing the German airship's dramatically filmed demise.

Posted by: commongentile ( )
Date: December 16, 2020 09:46AM

I know a fervent Mormon man in my area who is a huge Trump supporter and who has said that he will never accept that Biden is a legitimate President. After reading the statement referenced in the opening post of this thread, he posted "Very disturbing." on a Facebook thread about it.

I feel like saying to him that it appears that he is putting his loyalty to Trump above the Prophet and the Twelve, whom he has in the past proclaimed as divinely anointed and as being God's mouthpieces on the earth.

Posted by: Tyson Dunn ( )
Date: December 16, 2020 10:25AM

I think a lot of these people need to be shaken from their programming.

It's a fine point to make to these people that either they support the "prophets, seers, and revelators" or they don't.

I know that the response from the cultists will likely be that this clearly means the Church is in apostasy - just as every single top Republican is being called a RINO now by the cultists.

It's been said many times before: they eat their own and there is no end to the depth of their conviction/stupidity.

Tyson

Date: December 16, 2020 12:51PM

I think a lot of hard core "conservative" Mormons (I use quotes to indicate they are really more authoritarian than conservative, just like Dear Leader) are discovering what the liberal Mormons have been dealing with for decades, when they had to confront LDS institutional racism, sexism and homophobia. It was a struggle for the liberals to reconcile their loyalty to Mormonism with their ethical values. Some managed to do it, somewhat to my surprise.

Now the shoe is on the other foot. With the official statement the Church made about a week ago promoting mask wearing, and then the congratulations extended to Joe Biden, those people who considered Mormonism and right-wing politics one and the same are having their heads explode.

It will be interesting to see the fallout from this. I suspect this is an "unstoppable force meets immovable object" moment for a lot of Mormons who never ever thought their religion would in any way conflict with their politics.

Posted by: Mother Who Knows ( )
Date: December 18, 2020 05:09AM

Who is this anonymous "Mr. Church Leaders?"

This "Church Leaders" person loves to use the "Royal We" pronoun.

This is not a personal congratulations from one man (prophet) to another (President-elect).

There is nothing human or person-like in this letter, probably written by one of the ghost writers who writes speeches, or written by a computer robot. It's the same message Mr. Church Leaders sends out every four years, but changes the names.

(How complicated would it be for this Church Leaders entity to put a face and signature to a form letter saying, "I love you, and as your sustained-as-such Prophet, I beg all of you, in the name of God, to wear a mask, wash your hands, social distance, and not meet in groups. May God have mercy on the brave souls who are trying to survive the pandemic. Sincerely, Russel M. Nelson." Any fourth-grader could write this, and any adult who loves their family would pitch in to pay for the goddamned postage. But--nope--sorry--not sorry--you need to keep paying tithing.

The letter is meaningless as breaking glass and rusty symbols.

Posted by: Phantom Shadow ( )
Date: December 18, 2020 11:34PM

There are a lot of reports on Twitter of members unhappy with the church’s statements. They come from folks in SE Idaho and Utah Valley. Well, follow the prophet folks. I was surprised to learn this, but then, I’ve been away from Utah a long time.

Date: December 19, 2020 04:54PM

The same people, the SE Idaho and Utah County True Believers™ have also had a pretty hard to ignore lesson in the inefficacy of Administering to the Sick™.

I expect the root stock of Mormonism, here along the Morridor, will have a certain, non-trivial percentage that will ask themselves "why am I forking over 10% of my income for this" and not have a satisfactory answer.

I wait with bated breath to hear what will be left of European Mormonism a year from now. It was already on life support before the pandemic. I expect just a few smoldering embers in the rubble.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: December 19, 2020 12:00AM

Twisting, twisting-turning in the wind...

so sad what's happening in ChurchCo lately!! It's actually pathetic.

Posted by: josephssmmyth ( )
Date: December 19, 2020 02:58AM

GNPE Wrote:
> Twisting, twisting-turning in the wind...
>
> so sad what's happening in ChurchCo lately!! It's
> actually pathetic.

It was a major boo boo..

Posted by: ufotofuNLI ( )
Date: December 19, 2020 10:38PM

No, it turns the members off
So the members turn it off

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.