Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: December 18, 2020 01:12PM

Two days in a row now I have received a recorded phone message telling me that a charge ($1,000.00 on the first day $799 on the second) has been made on my Amazon account. If I did not make the charges to press 1, if I did, to press 2. When the first call came in I was suspicious but pressed 1 and a foreign accented voice answered Amazon "Amazon Fraud Department" and proceeded to ask for my account details. I gave none and hung up but did later initiate a call to Amazon and and was informed that there had been no unaccounted activity on our account. Christmas is a busy time for scammers. So, alert.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: December 18, 2020 01:19PM

I fell for it 6 monthw ago and got ripped off

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: December 18, 2020 01:23PM

I've had that one a couple times too. Those kinds of calls are so annoying. I'm irritated that phone companies and regulatory agencies aren't cracking down on them harder.

A rule of thumb is not to respond to any of their prompts to push anything. That just confirms you answered and listened, even if you don't go far enough to give them your information to scam.

If it actually sounds legitimate, hang up and contact the company independently using their official customer service.

Posted by: blindguy ( )
Date: December 20, 2020 01:13PM

Dagny wrote in part:

"I'm irritated that phone companies and regulatory agencies aren't cracking down on them harder."

The foreign accent reported in the original post signals what the issued most likely is; the calls (and emails) are coming from outside of the United States and therefore the perpetrators cannot be charged or punished under U.S. law. What we need is an international regulatory force to go after these individuals and groups but I'm afraid that won't be happening anytime soon.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: December 18, 2020 01:40PM

We get fake scam alerts on our American Express regularly now on email. They look very real, VERY REAL, claiming there has been suspicious activity on your card and ask you to contact them.

So many fall for this. These scammers are making a ton of money.

Never give information unless you initiated a call to the number on the back of your card.

Posted by: wondering ( )
Date: December 18, 2020 01:43PM

That has been around for a long time. Many YouTube videos on it

Posted by: iceman9090 ( )
Date: December 19, 2020 08:47AM

wondering Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That has been around for a long time. Many
> YouTube videos on it

Yes, there are a bunch and they are fun to watch.

Angry Refund Scammer Gives Up And Begs For $2,000
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IGJktzvX88
By Kitboga
Length = 26:08
Crazy train loving girl

The idea is to waste their time as much as possible. Kitboga's live videos last for 4 h, sometimes more.

Robo Sex Offender Destroys Indian Scam Call Center
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3Y_pghxJc4
By BobHasAVirus
Length = 12:22

~~~~iceman9090

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: December 18, 2020 01:43PM

Posted by: ookami ( )
Date: December 18, 2020 01:49PM

About $2,701 US with the current exchange rate.

https://www.poundstodollars.co.uk/

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: December 18, 2020 03:33PM

It depends whether the money is coins or bills.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: December 18, 2020 08:43PM

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: December 18, 2020 03:52PM

That would be one ton.

Date: December 18, 2020 05:07PM

Wonton

or

guantanemera?

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: December 18, 2020 03:39PM

Just hang up on them!

They don't dare call back.

Posted by: Mother Who Knows ( )
Date: December 18, 2020 07:39PM

Be careful to dial the correct number on your card, when you call your bank, insurance, and other accounts. A few times, when I have been one digit off, I have been connected to a scam.

Posted by: Heidi GWOTR ( )
Date: December 18, 2020 08:01PM

This is what I do. When I finally do get a live person, say "Oh wait a minute, let me get my account details!" Put the phone receiver on the table (don't hang up), and walk away. The longest someone hung on was over 20 minutes. It's fun!

Date: December 18, 2020 08:04PM

If you say it in an old-sounding, vaguely senile voice, they'll hang on for close to an hour, and you can hear them salivating!!

Date: December 18, 2020 08:05PM

That is a petty revenge tactic that I need to try on the next scammer who calls me.

Posted by: thegoodman ( )
Date: December 18, 2020 08:56PM

I don't play revenge games with these people anymore. One month, I answered all their calls, doing different stupid stuff on my side of the line. It went from a call a week, to a call a day, to a call every hour for several days. Once it was at the point of more than once a day, I stopped answering but they used different numbers to call me every hour from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m.

These people are stuck in a job at a desk looking at a screen for hours at a day having to deal with hostile people or people trying to screw with them because they know it's a scam. They have nothing else going on and can get as petty and aggressive as they want if you piss them off.

Date: December 18, 2020 09:49PM

On one hand, I'm annoyed enough with telemarketers ignoring the fact that I'm on the "Do Not Call" list. I don't want them to step it up.

On the other hand, those folks know that their job is to lie, cheat, and scam, but keep doing it. I don't feel sorry for folks who know they're doing something wrong and don't have enough moral backbone to walk away.

Posted by: thegoodman ( )
Date: December 19, 2020 06:45AM

ookami Wrote:
> On one hand, I'm annoyed enough with telemarketers
> ignoring the fact that I'm on the "Do Not Call"
> list. I don't want them to step it up.
>
> On the other hand, those folks know that their job
> is to lie, cheat, and scam, but keep doing it. I
> don't feel sorry for folks who know they're doing
> something wrong and don't have enough moral
> backbone to walk away.

I'm not talking about legal telemarketers. I'm talking about those scam calls where they're already breaking the law. And I'm not trying to get you to sympathize with them. I'm saying, I have pissed these folks off before and because they have such small existences, there is really nothing stopping them from taking out their anger on you. They're already breaking the law; harassing your phone number is nothing.

I worked at a couple of call centers and we have laws to obey in order to remain open. Scammers do not abide by these rules. Thus, customer service isn't really a priority either.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: December 19, 2020 02:00AM

A lot of times I just put my phone down on the counter, with the line still open, and go about my business. I don't even bother talking to them. Over time, it does cut back on the calls.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2020 02:01AM by summer.

Posted by: wondering ( )
Date: December 19, 2020 12:55AM

I always say let me get my spouse, the FBI agent. Click

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: December 18, 2020 09:03PM

I always assume that it's a scam. You have a problem with your Microsoft account, or your Amazon account, or whatever, but they don't even address you by name.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: December 19, 2020 03:21PM

When my phone rings at 5:30 or 6AM I know it those fucking scammers. On occasion I actually engage them and really piss them off..but they mostly hang up after I question their manhood and tell them they are criminals.

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: December 19, 2020 11:06PM

at local stop light ~

a woman bared nakkid breasts ~

so was distracted ~

+++

dude jumps in back seat ~

relieves ziller of wallet ~

what the f*cking hell ? ~

+++

happened to ziller ~

three times at the same stoplight ~

will go back later ~

+++

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: December 20, 2020 12:18PM

Never push any button when someone who calls asks you to. There is a way to steal thousands of dollars from you by getting you to authorizes charges to your phone bill getting you to make a button press. Also, if a stranger or a recording calls, never say "yes" or "I agree" or anything similar to even the most innocent questions. Your agreement will be pasted in to a recorded telemarketing call that has you agreeing to charges made against your credit card. At the first sign that a call is from a stranger, I say firmly "who is calling?". If they say "..I am with", and it's not my Doctor's office, I hang up as they're speaking. If you want to discourage them before you hang-up, tell them they're the tenth telemarketer who has called today before you hang up. If the line is completely silent for a second or two when I answer and then I hear a background sound pop in after that delay, I hang up before the person can speak because my number was auto-dialed and then the call was put through to a telemarketer in a call center after I answered.

If anyone calls and claims to be my bank (by correct bank name) or Amazon, I hang up and call my bank or Amazon. If they claim to be from Apple Support I hang up since I don't have any Apple devices. If they say they're from Microsoft, I ask which PC they are calling about and then hang up when they don't know anything about my computers. Keep in mind that you have no obligation to treat these callers with any kind of respect. Just hang up on them when you realize that they have no established business or personal relationship to you.

My elderly father stuffed five thousand dollars cash in to an envelope and mailed it to an address given to him by someone over the phone (claiming to be an attorney) in another state after someone claiming to be his grandson called and said "I am in jail for a DUI grandpa and need your help". It wasn't his grandson calling. Someone had done some research on my family and was able to guess correctly a few location and other details to make him believe that it was really his grandson calling. He believed that he was bailing his grandson out of trouble. He was too embarrassed to tell anyone about it until a year later. At first, he didn't want to embarras his grandson. Then when he realized that he had been scammed, he didn't want to embarras himself. This all came out when he started asking if anyone knew about a DUI involving his grandson and the rest of us pressed him to know why he was asking. There was no DUI and his grandson knew nothing about it.

Date: December 21, 2020 12:32AM

azsteve Wrote:

One technique used a while ago was to call a company and ask them to transfer to a long distance number. I think this kind of scam was performed by an insider in the company who is friends with the outsider. The company gets charged for the long distance.

“If anyone calls and claims to be my bank (by correct bank name) or Amazon, I hang up and call my bank or Amazon. If they claim to be from Apple Support I hang up since I don't have any Apple devices. If they say they're from Microsoft, I ask which PC they are calling about and then hang up when they don't know anything about my computers. Keep in mind that you have no obligation to treat these callers with any kind of respect. Just hang up on them when you realize that they have no established business or personal relationship to you.”

==Just set up a crap PC or a VM and let them connect and waste there time if you are strong with technical skills.
The purpose is to waste their time. They will have less time to invest with a weak person.

“He was too embarrassed”

==That’s natural.

You should be embarrassed for not educating him and the rest of your family. It’s your job to vaccinate.
If your grandson or whatever is in jail, then the police should put a PC in front of him and you should chat with him directly.
If that technology did not exist long ago, then find some other solution.

If we properly vaccinate society, people would be more skeptical and not fall for scams, religions, bad scientific claims and bad medical claims.

If any of you haven’t talked about these scams with everyone in your circle, family, friends, coworkers, you should be ashamed.

~~~~iceman9090

Posted by: logged off today ( )
Date: December 21, 2020 01:11AM

It's cute that you think you have the moral authority to pass judgment on us or tell us what our "job" is.

FYI, none of us have to explain or justify ourselves or our actions to you.

Date: December 21, 2020 09:05AM

logged off today Wrote:
> It's cute that you think you have the moral
> authority to pass judgment on us or tell us what
> our "job" is.
>
> FYI, none of us have to explain or justify
> ourselves or our actions to you.

All I am trying to do is to push you guys to become more active. It wasn't meant to offend. The goal is to create a solid society.

~~~~iceman9090

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: December 21, 2020 05:51AM

> If any of you haven’t talked about these scams
> with everyone in your circle, family, friends,
> coworkers, you should be ashamed.

But if I forewarned my family and friends, the scam wouldn't work.

Date: December 21, 2020 01:15AM

> If any of you haven’t talked
> about these scams with everyone
> in your circle, family, friends,
> coworkers, you should be ashamed.

My TBM daughter won’t listen when I’ve hinted that there are things she needs to know about a certain scam ...

Date: December 21, 2020 09:01AM

elderolddog Wrote:

> My TBM daughter won’t listen when I’ve hinted
> that there are things she needs to know about a
> certain scam ...

That's ok. It's her right to not listen.

~~~~iceman9090

Posted by: frankie ( )
Date: December 21, 2020 09:16PM

My mom got the same call. She hung up, it's a scam. Amazon never calls you

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.