Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: December 28, 2020 06:49PM

https://www.koin.com/news/national/mormon-church-sued-for-alleged-role-in-boy-scouts-sex-abuse/

"In the seven lawsuits each representing seven different male victims, attorneys say church officials never notified authorities about abuse allegations. Public records show members of church-sponsored Boy Scout troops who were abused would tell church bishops about what they had experienced. The lawsuits allege bishops would then tell the victims to keep quiet so the church could conduct its own investigation. In the meantime, troop leaders and volunteers accused of sex abuse would be allowed to continue in their roles or be assigned to another troop, the suits said."

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: December 28, 2020 07:07PM

"Andrew Van Arsdale, a lawyer with Abused in Scouting, says the legal network is filing 261 sex abuse lawsuits in Arizona on Monday against various local Scout councils."

The world is a dangerous place for children when adults don't do their FUCKING JOBS.

Did church leaders allow THEIR CHILDREN to be alone with the rapists?

Posted by: logged out today ( )
Date: December 28, 2020 07:10PM

They'll settle for undisclosed amounts and sign NDAs. The full total will barely dent the church's dragon hoard. From the church's POV, simply the cost of doing business, and money well spent to buy silence and avoid further embarrassment.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: December 28, 2020 08:48PM

https://news.yahoo.com/mormon-church-sued-alleged-role-220221039.html

>>December 28, 2020, 3:02 PM MST PHOENIX (AP) — The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints was hit with several lawsuits Monday for allegedly covering up decades of sexual abuse among Boy Scout troops in Arizona, marking the latest litigation before the state's end-of-year deadline for adult victims to sue.

I'm cynical enough to think the lawsuits are the reason the church ended its decades-long relationship with the LDS Church...

Anybody seen Anagrammy? She gave a helluva presentation at an Exmo Conference on this subject. She said the church would "fight the plaintiffs up to the doors of the courthouse and then settle."

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: December 28, 2020 09:51PM

As plenty of people have pointed out, they see it as a spiritual problem that can be resolved by spiritual means. They see it as a problem with the soul. They believe that the problem will be removed by proper application of the repentance process.

Their whole identity is informed by this notion. It is the basis for their lives. That is why the bishops report to the church, with the faith that the church leadership have more access to the transforming power of the Holy Spirit than the local leaders do. So when a lowly member breaks the rules and calls the cops, they are seen as traitors and apostates. The lowly members themselves have also been taught that the answer lies with the Holy Ghost, not the secular authorities.

CALL THE COPS. THAT IS RIGHT THING. LET THE CONSEQUENCE FOLLOW!

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: December 28, 2020 09:56PM

I'm not sure they still believe it is a spiritual problem amenable to a spiritual solution. They once believed that, but almost everyone knows the truth now. My view is that like the RCC, the LDS leadership is more interested in protecting itself legally and publicly than in protecting the vulnerable.

It's like the BoA and the BoM. The data is so clear on the topic, so abundant, that few educated people can possibly view them as true. So the church gradually de-emphasizes the first and then the second but at no point will it acknowledge that it is changing its position because doing so would cause PR problems.

Ignorance is a lousy argument in any situation; pretended ignorance is far, far worse.

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: December 29, 2020 04:31AM

Sadly, you are probably right. Especially at the upper levels. I think that at the ward level people still believe, and see the church's initiatives as guided by the Holy Ghost. That is why they do what they are told.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: December 29, 2020 04:32AM

Yes, that sounds right.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: December 29, 2020 08:41AM

For the RCC, I think that Pope Francis sees it as a spiritual problem in need of a spiritual solution. The American bishops, OTOH, understand that more must be done.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: December 29, 2020 03:53PM

To me the saddest story is where a scout leader was banned from scouting for taking pictures of the scouts skinny dipping THEN some 20 years later he was reinstated by one of his victims and went on a multi year spree of physical abuse.

The bans should be for life. Period.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: December 30, 2020 12:11AM

Yeah, and TSCC says they knew nothing of it and only learned of it when the general public did.

I've said it before: Mormonism left the BSA, not just because they allowed gay scout master(baiters), and cross-dressing scouts at the crossroads, and girls growing up to be boys couts, but because of its relationship with scouting, the boys (scouts), and itself. It is trying to cover its ass, to save face. They both look so similar.

It has a despicable relationship with itself. It's image. The stories it tells itself, and it's members, and the world. It can't (won't) be HONEST with its positions, it's populations, or itself.

The MORMON 'church' is WORSE THAN Santa Claws! They have a LIST of everyone, ALL tithing (and CHECK IT TWICE, then cash it), membership status, EVERY calling, and every Complaint, Confession, and Claim [for personal or forced sexual action] or Action taken - or not taken - and generally turn a blind eye, ignore, deny, avoid or rebuff the victim, and act as if nothing happened, that it was consensual, or that it is a lie.

Mormonism is a lie
I TOLD IT. I told you.
I'm glad I survived it.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: December 30, 2020 04:25AM

Not surprised the least.

I expect more lawsuits to be forthcoming.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: December 30, 2020 09:29AM

Can we assume that a faithful church member would not file a lawsuit against the church?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.