Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: January 03, 2021 10:34AM

Beth --- I see the Skookumchuck is flooding in Bucoda, hope you're high enough above the the river to stay safe.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: January 03, 2021 03:33PM

Oh she's Got To Be higher than the river. There's NO WAY the river could get that high.

Stay high and dry everyone.

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: January 03, 2021 03:54PM

Ha! I wish.

Date: January 04, 2021 12:09PM

Hi Beth,

You are dry aren't you?

Date: January 04, 2021 12:35PM

Thanks for thinking of me.

I might have had a tipple on New Year's. :D

The water seems to be about where it was when I went to bed last night, but USGS says it's down about 1.5 feet.

We're okay. I need to check the basement. It was dry last night, but the sump pump had turned on. We might get an inch of rain between today and Wednesday which is much better than the inch+ we've been getting every day.

Good times.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: January 04, 2021 01:12PM

I'm glad that your sump pump is up and running, Beth. I was going to ask about that.

Date: January 04, 2021 03:34PM

**Yes, Everyone - I unplugged the pump from the outlet first.**

I just went down there, and I've decided to buy a new pump. The one I have is working, but I'm not happy with the float action. I was about to change the float, but when I started pulling the pump out by the twine (yes, TWINE) that anchors it to a pole, the twine broke.

**Yes, Everyone, I plugged the pump back in**

I'm off to read about sump pumps and to buy some nylon rope.

Twine?

Date: January 03, 2021 03:54PM

Hi, tumwater! I was looking for this thread, and if I didn't find it, I was going to start one to see how you are. Poor Bucoda can't catch a break. I love to drive out to Ground Mound to Tenino to Bucoda and back home.

The Skookumchuck is HIGH at Harrison Ave, and logs galore are speeding down it. Most look like regular trees and large branches, but a few I saw looked milled. The rip rap on my bank is submerged, and mossy tree branches are being pushed by the water. The river isn't close to cresting, but it's higher than I've ever seen in my whopping three years here. ;-) My basement is dry (why is there a basement here?), and the house itself is on higher ground. Everything slopes towards the river

Downtown is flooding. I think that's due to China Creek. Main St. is closed before Pearl. I was trying to get to the Tractor Supply in Chehalis at about 9 am, and I figured there would be water across Airport Road. I don't know why I thought I could get there on Gold St. I ended up taking 5 to Chamber Way. Of course Tractor Supply is on a road next to and parallel to 5. It's a great ditch! I didn't drive through any standing water, and I am never going to go to stupid Tractor Supply or anywhere when it's been raining like this.

How are things in your neck of the woods?

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: January 03, 2021 03:57PM

A lahar will get you.

Date: January 03, 2021 04:00PM

So you keep saying, DtA. >:/

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: January 03, 2021 04:08PM

But only if a volcano erupts.

Date: January 03, 2021 04:02PM

For real, though. What rocket scientist thought that it would be a good idea to construct a large series of strip malls and big box stores in a river basin next to 5? Where did they expect the water to go?

Date: January 03, 2021 04:05PM

"developr$"?

Date: January 03, 2021 04:37PM

Beth Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> For real, though. What rocket scientist thought
> that it would be a good idea to construct a large
> series of strip malls and big box stores in a
> river basin next to 5? Where did they expect the
> water to go?

I don't understand why the Dept of Ecology allowed all this development in a flood plain.

The only thing I can rationalize is the politicians looking at all the extra tax dollars they can get for commercial property over farm land.

'develop$' is right.

Now they want to build a dam up stream, talk about throwing bad money after wasted money.

Stay safe Beth, one of these days I'll figure out where you live and I'll stop by and say hello.

Date: January 03, 2021 05:13PM

:-)

What's the story with the damn? Isn't there one already? Aren't we getting rid of some of these things?

I am so confused.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: January 03, 2021 05:55PM

Date: January 04, 2021 12:30AM

Beth Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> :-)
>
> What's the story with the damn? Isn't there one
> already? Aren't we getting rid of some of these
> things?
>
> I am so confused.

The dam being purposed was on the Chehalis river southwest of Adna. Last I heard it wasn't viable to stop the flooding and was generally a big waste of money. We shall see, I don't trust politicians.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: January 03, 2021 06:39PM

I don't believe there's been any notable flooding in either Port Angeles or Sequim, too many hills.

One area I always pay attention to is the BNSF right-of-way between Seattle & Everett, I used to work there during college.

This track is on the BNSF main line between Seattle & Chicago / points East. The Empire Builder uses this route as do other passenger trains to Vancouver, B.C. (pre-COVID) and Sound Transit trains to Everett.

In the early 50's, the predecessor line, the Great Northern Ry, moved part of the double track line from Edmonds out away from the shoreline where many slides stopped trains, it was called 'the Million Dollar Mile' then. That portion was down-graded to single track.

That change now impacts loading & unloading the Kingston - Edmonds ferry because it's single track where cars enter & leave the ferry dock.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/03/2021 07:51PM by GNPE.

Date: January 05, 2021 12:44AM

It doesn't rain enough there.

There may be too many hills or perhaps not enough valleys, or maybe just enough streams, river valleys, lakes and seas.

Or maybe all the mushrooms suck up all the water.

Ther trees probably drink their share.

Runoff ;) that's good

Posted by: ookami ( )
Date: January 03, 2021 09:04PM

We've got flooding here in the Palouse on the eastern half of Washington. My place is on one of the hills, but downtown is built on a flood plain. We're looking at the same "businesses and offices built in a part of town prone to flooding" problem Beth mentioned.

Posted by: kenc ( )
Date: January 04, 2021 07:22PM

No flooding in this part of the Palouse - Moscow, ID (yet)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.