Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Human ( )
Date: January 18, 2021 10:02AM

This guy 0rf makes great videos.

If MLK Sneezed (MLK's Last Speech) [4’53”]:

https://youtu.be/UpV9vlK3bRg

MLK's Last Sermon | 4 Days Before Assassination [3’02”]:

https://youtu.be/XCan1ZjXl2I

“Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Hate multiplies hate, violence multiplies violence, and toughness multiplies toughness in a descending spiral of destruction.”

--Martin Luther King, Jr.—-
—"Loving Your Enemies," Strength to Love—

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: January 19, 2021 01:33AM

On April 3, 1968, the Reverend Martin Luther King Jr. delivered his final public speech. In a crowded church in Memphis, Tenn., King spoke of the injustice felt by the city’s sanitation workers, who were on strike protesting low pay and poor working conditions.

But, speaking hours before his assassination, the civil rights leader went beyond that subject, touching on death and his own mortality. This is a part of that wonderful speech that he gave that night:

"You know, several years ago, I was in New York City autographing the first book that I had written. And while sitting there autographing books, a demented black woman came up. The only question I heard from her was, “Are you Martin Luther King?”

And I was looking down writing, and I said yes. And the next minute I felt something beating on my chest. Before I knew it I had been stabbed by this demented woman. I was rushed to Harlem Hospital. It was a dark Saturday afternoon. And that blade had gone through, and the X-rays revealed that the tip of the blade was on the edge of my aorta, the main artery. And once that’s punctured, you drown in your own blood – that’s the end of you.

It came out in the New York Times the next morning, that if I had sneezed, I would have died. Well, about four days later, they allowed me, after the operation, after my chest had been opened, and the blade had been taken out, to move around in the wheelchair in the hospital. They allowed me to read some of the mail that came in, and from all over the states, and the world, kind letters came in. I read a few, but one of them I will never forget. I had received one from the president and the vice president. I’ve forgotten what those telegrams said.

I’d received a visit and a letter from the Governor of New York, but I’ve forgotten what the letter said. But there was another letter that came from a little girl, a young girl who was a student at the White Plains High School. And I looked at that letter, and I’ll never forget it.

It said simply, ‘Dear Dr. King: I am a ninth-grade student at the Whites Plains High School.’ She said, ‘While it should not matter, I would like to mention that I am a white girl. I read in the paper of your misfortune, and of your suffering. And I read that if you had sneezed, you would have died. And I’m simply writing you to say that I’m so happy that you didn’t sneeze.’

“If you can’t fly then run, if you can’t run then walk, if you can’t walk then crawl, but whatever you do you have to keep moving forward.”

"If you can't be the Sun, be a Star"... "If you can't be a Highway, be a Path..."

At the time, some in the IBF called him "The most dangerous black man in America" - boy how times have changed. And not!

What a man

Date: January 19, 2021 08:16PM

Indeed, what a man.

He wrote, in 1963:

"We were all involved in the death of John Kennedy. We tolerated hate; we tolerated the sick stimulation of violence in all walks of life; and we tolerated the differential application of law, which said that a man's life was sacred only if we agreed with his views. This may explain the cascading grief that flooded the country in late November. We mourned a man who had become the pride of the nation, but we grieved as well for ourselves because we knew we were sick."

--"The Days To Come"--
--Why We Can't Wait--

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: January 19, 2021 08:21PM

Thank you for that very touching account.

You too, Human.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: January 19, 2021 09:35PM

Thank you for that. Finally had time to open the link. Left me very emotional. The girls sitting at the counter in the cafe. Oh. My. God. Comet burning bright, MLK.

He was indeed the most dangerous black man in America. He was a danger to bigotry and hatred and injustice. And he made an enormous difference the likes of which we rarely see as he wielded dignity as a very sharp weapon.

I remember well those times. I remember as I watched the marches on our black and white T.V. hearing the words from some I was with, "Give them an inch and they'll take a mile." Hurts so bad right now to think of that.

I know some who never would say that now , but there are so many who still will.

Date: January 20, 2021 10:12AM

Done & Done Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thank you for that. Finally had time to open the
> link. Left me very emotional. The girls sitting
> at the counter in the cafe. Oh. My. God. Comet
> burning bright, MLK.

Yes, 0rf weaved together some great images that we can’t help but be moved by.

It was the images on TV that finally moved white people out of silence and therefore assent. Video of the dogs and water canons hit you viscerally, while black & white newsprint is abstract, intellectual, requiring imagination to see more clearly, a step easily skipped.

The same can be said about the Taguba Report (Torture report). With just the words, it wasn’t only Limbaugh that was trying to frame it as nothing more than college frat boy high-jinks taken a little too far, he was just the loudest and grossest. But when the images came out, the evil, again, hits you viscerally, and there’s no mistaking what you’re looking at, no effort of imagination necessary (the “body stack” images especially haunt me).

From history books, try to imagine what “drawn & quartered” looks like. I’m grateful there wasn’t video.

Date: January 20, 2021 09:43AM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.