Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Twinker ( )
Date: January 24, 2021 10:44AM

Letter to the Editor: Salt Lake Tribune

By Craig Cooper | The Public Forum
| Jan. 24, 2021, 5:00 a.m.

"As I read an article about how all the top LDS leaders, as well as most of their spouses, were able to get their first COVID vaccine on Jan. 19, I wondered if divine intervention somehow played a role in them all being able to successfully navigate their county’s first come, first served vaccine sign-up website.

Sure, they are over 70 and are currently eligible for the shot, but the same holds true for thousands of other seniors across the state who have been vocal about their own difficulties in getting an appointment slot through the county health department websites.

I don’t seem to recall clergy being listed as essential workers, but maybe I missed it. Were elderly Muslim, Catholic, Jewish, Buddhist or Protestant leaders also put at the front of the line for the shots, or is this just another example of how the Utah government plays favorites with their locally dominant church by not adhering to the concept of separation of church and state?"

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: January 24, 2021 10:52AM

but then the 70 and above were scheduled for after the 18th. I had neighbors get theirs on the 20th and I live in little old Hyrum and they are no one special. I'll have to ask my best friend what day she got hers.

There is no doubt in my mind they get preferential treatment in this state.

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: January 24, 2021 11:06AM

They probably got preferential treatment, but it’s likely that some good will come from it. Many Mormons are anti-vaxers, and hopefully this will diminish their influence.

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: January 24, 2021 11:11AM

who I live by or my best friend are anti-vaccine and already have their shots.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: January 24, 2021 01:14PM

I don't think it was special treatment as much as propaganda.

Look! The mighty profit got the shot! Yea verily and it came to pass that the second and verily the third and on until 8 profits truly were vaccinated. But those who were younger were not vaccinated.

If it helps, not only stateside but world wide the thr 12 or so shots are worth it. Didn't the other global faith leaders get theirs too?

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: January 24, 2021 02:40PM

I too suspect it was a PR move, probably instigated by the county or state health department. It would squelch any rumors that there was anything nefarious/satanic about the vaccinations.

It might shut up some of the tinfoil hatters.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: January 24, 2021 02:50PM

I'm imagining some of the conversations during the meeting(s) that resulted in The Brethren accepting their roles in this presentation:

"So you're saying that you want my clients 'front & center' in this production because as the leaders of the church, they are seen as examples, as people whose actions should be mimicked?"

"Yes, that is exactly what we think!"

"But what about the potential of this being seen as an abandonment of their reliance on the strength and power of the Priesthood?"

"Hahahahahahaha...the power of the priesthood...hahahaha!" ...Oh, I'm sorry! You were serious, weren't you?"

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.