Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: westernwillows ( )
Date: January 24, 2021 11:10AM

Yesterday I hosted a 4H equestrian event. I'm in a COVID-19 hotspot and my facility is currently the only one in my area willing to host large events (masks and social distancing mandatory -- and everyone was super nice about it).

The event's organizers brought four missionaries with them to help throughout the day. These boys hit the jackpot with service projects. They wore regular clothes (no suits and ties) with their missionary badges. They introduced themselves to me as "Elder so-and-so from the Mormon Church" (oops, I guess Satan scored a point for that one). The only mention of God was in the National Anthem. They spent the day opening gates, moving livestock panels, helping kids get where they need to be, setting up events, flipping burgers, etc. All four GLOWED with happiness because they got to behave like regular 19 year old humans for a day.

I hope this is a shift that becomes more popular across TSCC. These boys got to spend a day doing real service AND they had fun. I'm always kind to them. Both of my brothers served missions and most of my high school friends did too. None of them WANTED to go. They all felt like they had to.

This is the first time I've seen missionaries do anything like this -- does it happen in your area?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: January 24, 2021 11:19AM

offer to do projects for me. They said they wouldn't mention religion. The second time, I mentioned it to my TBM daughter and she said THEY HAVE NOTHING TO DO. They are SO BORED.

I think for any missionary being able to feel normal would be wonderful.

Date: January 26, 2021 10:29PM

I believe they have nothing to do. I've had some strange encounters with random strangers that message me on Facebook and I suspect they are missionaries. These kids hit the jackpot. They got to be NORMAL. The best part was seeing them wearing regular clothes. No white shirt and tie. Nothing stays white long at a rodeo ;)

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: January 24, 2021 11:21AM

I'll bet they had an enjoyable day. I used to work at a horse facility in my younger days, and I liked the rhythm of it. We had an indoor ring for dressage and other events, and an outdoor ring for rodeo. The cowboys were always very nice and polite to me.

Date: January 26, 2021 10:30PM

I hope they did! Lots of sunshine and lots of good people. All four said they were going to tell their parents about their day. It seems to be the highlight of their mission so far.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: January 26, 2021 11:34PM

I'm hurting for my oldest g.child, she's on a mish but won't even tell me her addy for sending her a treat.

I HATE THE F ING MORON CHURCH & WHAT IT DOES TO FAMILIES!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2021 11:35PM by GNPE.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: January 27, 2021 02:06AM

This makes me wonder:

was this lack of TSCC push on the instructions or with tacit approval of their MP?

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: January 31, 2021 12:53PM

Doing service projects is a two-edged sword. They didn't have this back when I was on my mission, but many years later a nephew on a mission in Japan found himself being "volunteered" in an old folks' home, where he had to bathe ancient people and help them with their "motions" on the toilet. It was downright traumatizing for him.

Posted by: Gordon B. Stinky ( )
Date: February 01, 2021 03:51PM

My house is due for a new roof.
Can I just buy the shingles and have the mishies over?

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: February 01, 2021 11:45PM

Getting hit with a foot or so of heavy, wet snow here in the Northeast. Can I call the local ward and get a couple of misshies to shovel my walk?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2021 11:45PM by caffiend.

Posted by: Gordon B. Stinky ( )
Date: February 02, 2021 09:30AM

We just got hit with snow all weekend. Neighborhood kids will come by and offer to shovel, but never the mishies...

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: February 02, 2021 10:26AM

Back in the day, when Monday was Diversion Day, we never talked about Jesus! Or maybe I just wasn't listening?

When it comes to our Salvation, I think all too many of us have heaped a whole lot of work onto Jesus! "Forgive me, Jesus, for I know exactly what I'm doing, which is why I'm gonna keep doing it over and over again, forever and ever, amen."

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.