Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: SEcular Priest ( )
Date: January 26, 2021 02:49PM

I was working with my son yesterday and as we drove to the site he told me about his recent name removal process. Several weeks ago he submitted his name, his wife's name and oldest son's name to be removed. I think he used a site from Utah. It included a form that had to be checked off. The check off included your giving up eternal ordinances. Your covenants, etc. Then he had to go to lawyer to have something done to this document. The lawyer was is company lawyer, about 65 and not a member. He looked at it and said, "what the f... is this all about? What kind of Church does this s...?" Now my son was a returned missionary, converted his wife upon return, etc. And was a good member. He said "dad when the lawyer said that me, I knew I was getting out of a cult." He said he was happy but people at church would think he had sinned which I know is not the case.

After working we drove home past a church (not LDS) that was under construction. Actually is was a great design. He said to me "Dad, I don't know why people are building churches." I had no response.

Something happened years ago that turned him off religion. I know he was a great missionary. It does not bother me that he had his name removed. Does that mean I am a bad member? No. It means that as a father I understand. Part of our chat also included the passing of my wife 4 plus years ago and how as I study near death experiences, in and out of the Church, no one reports seeing missionaries on the other side asking what they know about the Mormon Church? (I know I am sinning using these words) I said from my studies it is all about love when we cross over and I am sure if was about the Church my deceased wife would be back instructing me to get my act together.

I know more people leaving the Church now than are being baptized. What happened to the stone rolling down the mountain?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: January 26, 2021 03:06PM

What happened to the stone rolling down the mountain?

It struck a concrete retaining wall aka~ the internet.

After I got over 5 years of guilt (and I was told to pound sand after being rejected for asking for church help, YES I FELT GUILT FOR FEELING OFFENDED) I realized that I didn't need a church or religion to be a spiritual person.

Posted by: Dallin Ox ( )
Date: January 26, 2021 03:48PM

He most likely used Qu*tmormon, for which the church's law firm demanded all resignations be notarized.

That site was being heavily used because (1) it carried the imprimatur of official legal representation and the implied threat of lawsuits if the church dragged its stiletto heels, and (2) it published statistics on how many people had used its services to leave the church.

The church didn't appreciate that at all, and so Kirton McConkie added the notarization requirement in an attempt to gum up the works and discourage those thinking of resigning.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: January 26, 2021 08:20PM

It doesn't matter if they acknowledge it or not if you quit you quit there is nothing they can do about it

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: January 26, 2021 10:07PM

The acknowledgment is proof that they got your resignation. It's a bureaucracy, and they sometimes lose paperwork. If you don't get an acknowledgement, you should contact them to makes sure they processed your resignation correctly.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: January 27, 2021 07:57AM

"Name removal" is a term to be avoided. It puts the mormon church in charge.

Every American can always simply resign from an organization by clearly saying, "I quit."

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: January 27, 2021 08:04AM

The reaction you get from nevermos when you tell them about the finer points of Mormonism is quite something -- popped eyes, slack jaws, and a stunned silence.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: January 27, 2021 10:16AM

Imaginary benefits require proof of imaginary cancellation. Otherwise someone might accidentally get in the imaginary club due to a paper work glitch.

What do you expect from a God who has to ask PeterJames and John to go down, see what's going on, and return and report? Could someone over at Apple please connect his holiness to the internet? Omniscience is sooooo last eternity.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: January 27, 2021 10:20AM

The very God who according to scripture knows every hair on every head of every person on the planet, answers their prayers individually, still apparently needs paper work to see if you are a member of the Mormon church or not!

"Even Jesus was like, My God My God why hast thou forsaken me? It's me. Jesus. Remember? We were doing this thing . . ."

Posted by: Tyson Dunn ( )
Date: January 27, 2021 05:37PM

When I sent my letter to Salt Lake back in 2004, I went to a coworker who was a Notary Public to get the letter notarized. I didn't want the church to come back at me and say that we don't know that you signed this.

My coworker, a Catholic I believe, was absolutely stunned that I would go through such hoops - and that I would have to. She notarized the letter but then told me that she was worried about what this would mean for me. She asked whether I worried about not going to heaven or whatever Mormons believe.

Sensing the intent behind her question, I told her not to worry herself. I let her know that my family knew of my decision, and that as we were converts, they already understood leaving a religion. That seemed to relieve her anxiety.

Her concern underscored just what a weird organization I was leaving.

Tyson

Posted by: Free Man ( )
Date: January 27, 2021 09:46PM

"The check off included your giving up eternal ordinances. Your covenants, etc. "

Pretty funny. If I don't want Santa to come any more, do I have to complete a form?

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: January 28, 2021 12:29PM

unless the person resigning so chooses.

Anyone who wants to receive a written confirmation from the mormon church would need to follow their procedures.

Those who don't care or who do not want to hear from mormons ever can simply tell them, "I quit. Stay away from me."

That's all there is to it.

Mormons might harass a person if they follow mormon regulations or not. If they bother someone, that person can rise up and demand they back off or if they don't mind too much, they can put up with it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2021 03:02PM by Cheryl.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.