Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: jdawg333 ( )
Date: February 02, 2021 02:20AM

It seems so odd to me that the church puts so much effort into trekking everyone that it is distinct from other Christian churches and that the other churches are wrong and lack authority, but then it's somehow offensive when other people don't see the church as being Christian. Isn't not being part of mainstream Christianity kind of the point of what the church teaches?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: February 02, 2021 04:23AM

The Mormon church is incapable of being what it claims to be. So all that is left is for it to be something different than what it claims to be, which is a lie. Just a few years ago, the Mormon church was spending a lot of money on an "I'me a Mormon" campaign in attempts to convince the public that Mormons are just regular people. Now since that didn't work, they don't want to be called "Mormons" anymore. The Mormon church will always continue to have identity problems until they stop trying to convince the world that they're something they're not, and start being real Christians. They don't want to take part in anything that they don't own and control. So they never will fit in with real Christian churches.

The Mormon church will never admit that they don't have exclusive devine authority from god, to the exclusion of all other Christian churches who they teach do not have any real priesthood authority. They teach that other Christian churches lack authority from God and even taught at one time that Satin secretly teaches the ministers of other churches, false teachings for them to teach to their respective congregations (pre-1990 temple endowment ceremony). That level of narcissism is generally not curable. So the Mormon church's identity issues are likely here to stay.

The only cure is to not affiliate with the Mormon church. Don't join them. Resign your member if you have already joined them. Don't believe what they teach.

Posted by: iceman9090 ( )
Date: February 06, 2021 01:59PM

azsteve Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

“Just a few years ago, the Mormon church was spending a lot of money on an "I'm a Mormon" campaign in attempts to convince the public that Mormons are just regular people. Now since that didn't work, they don't want to be called "Mormons" anymore.”

==I remember those. I saw the ads on Youtube.
I also remember ads from the 1980s. This was in Canada. They showed a Bible with golden letters on it (The Bible) and the sides were golden as well. I remember them saying order your Bible today, another testament of Jesus Christ.
Brought to you by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.

So, there is a big problem there. Why are they showing the Bible and saying there is another testament of Jesus Christ? Why don’t they show the Book Of Mormon with golden letters that says “the Book Of Mormon”?
Back then, I had never heard of mormonism.

I remember thinking, what is latter? Do they mean later?

“They teach that other Christian churches lack authority from God”

==That’s very common in the christian world, muslim world, judaism world.
There are always new sects that pop up and point the finger at the other sects and say that they have false teachings.
It’s the We Are Right (WAR) attitude. And once in a while, it leads to war, violence, hangings, burnings.

Of course, would a person count mormonism as a christian religion? Would you count islam as a christian religion?

~~~~iceman9090

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: February 02, 2021 01:27PM

They want it both ways. "We're Christian, just superior ones with inside information."

They can get away with it because there are all stripes of Christian types condemning other Christians as not being Christians. They should be called the Chameleon Church of Jesus Christ.

Posted by: JoeSmith666 ( )
Date: February 02, 2021 03:26PM

The real problem is they are still pissed Paul Dunn was found out. They knew and kept quiet and all was well. Then he was outed as a liar and it has been downhill since then.

Date: February 11, 2021 12:21AM

JoeSmith666 Wrote:
> The real problem is they are still pissed Paul
> Dunn was found out. They knew and kept quiet and
> all was well. Then he was outed as a liar and it
> has been downhill since then.

Thanks for the info!

Paul Harold Dunn

Born = Apr 24, 1924
Died = Jan 09, 1998

General authority of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_H._Dunn
https://www.deseret.com/1991/2/16/18906053/arizona-paper-alleges-many-stories-were-exaggerated

~~~~iceman9090

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: February 11, 2021 12:39AM

At least we still have Paul's son Tyson with us.

Posted by: JoeSmith666 ( )
Date: February 06, 2021 02:11PM

The Mormons who are now not Mormons but were Mormons for a long time - and are now on the Fourth "official" name of the church?

No wonder they are confused - it is institutional confusion, not Big Nellie's age related dementia or alzheimers.

Posted by: pollythinks ( )
Date: February 06, 2021 09:08PM

You dumb clucks! Don't you know we are not Mormons anymore?

Now we belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. (LDS, to shorten the title.)

Date: February 11, 2021 12:23AM

pollythinks Wrote:
> You dumb clucks! Don't you know we are not
> Mormons anymore?
>
> Now we belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of
> Latter-day Saints. (LDS, to shorten the title.)

How much is latter?

~~~~iceman9090

Posted by: AVB ( )
Date: February 08, 2021 04:32AM

jdawg333 Wrote:
> It seems so odd to me that the church puts so much
> effort into trekking everyone that it is distinct
> from other Christian churches and that the other
> churches are wrong and lack authority, but then
> it's somehow offensive when other people don't see
> the church as being Christian. Isn't not being
> part of mainstream Christianity kind of the point
> of what the church teaches?

Yes, this is doublethink aka cog-dis. Nelson and Hinckley were both mainstreamers (Monson less so). Hinckley was comfortable with the Mormon tag, but Nelson has never been and in fact GBH called him out on it years ago. Which people forget.

I don't think the LDS is mainstream Christian at all, but there has always been a heavy Christian element. Jesus Christ appeared to JS in the First Vision account, he's there in the Endowment and the latter-day scriptures.

To be fair, I think Salt Lake has been steadily dropping its non-mainstream ideas for decades now. Polygamy was one of the first to go. So it is converging with it. Certain things are much less emphasized than before. But because the church is led by a man who was around before the sixties, it doesn't notice that its unusual doctrines also mirror some fashionable New Age ideas e.g. karma vs pre-existence, divine potential, ongoing revelation, priesthood vs "energy" etc.

There are still some things which distinguish it a lot from mainstream Christianity. All the contents of the Triple Combination, Temple Work, Temple Garments. Refusal to drink tea and coffee or smoke. (Teetotalism is common in other churches.) I think the mission structure is unique too.

Date: February 11, 2021 12:32AM

AVB Wrote:

“Polygamy was one of the first to go”

==Wasn’t that so that Utah would get accepted as a state?
Of course, the mormons believe that god gave their leader a phone call and told him that he changed his mind and that polygamy is uncool now.

“karma vs pre-existence”

==Mormons believe that everyone had a pre-existence somewhere?

“divine potential”

==You mean the idea that they will become gods, just like their god was once a human and then was worthy enough to be a god and have spirit children?

“ongoing revelation”

==I think the catholic church and plenty of other churches do the same thing. There is always a leader that claims that their god is directly communicating with them.

“priesthood vs "energy"”

==I thought that priesthood meant that you have a license to do preisty things. I don’t know what those are. I’m not familiar with the mormon religion.

~~~~iceman9090

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: February 11, 2021 01:15AM

>Mormons believe that everyone had a pre-existence somewhere?

Definitely. Read this

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/manual/doctrines-of-the-gospel-student-manual/6-premortal-life?lang=eng

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.