Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: February 13, 2021 12:35PM

I enjoyed him early on, after first discovering him.

But then his refusal to “do the right thing” and resign (as his wife had done) became too much of a distraction.

I hope he enjoys retirement. If he enjoys it half as much as I do, he’ll be fine.

Hahaha! He had a pet dog while a missionary! Gotta give him a lot of credit!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: February 13, 2021 01:05PM

Good riddance

Posted by: Gordon B. Stinky ( )
Date: February 13, 2021 03:33PM

I noticed that he’s still referring to “Mormons.”
I guess he missed Crusty’s memo.

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: February 14, 2021 12:10PM

regularly as I don't take the newspaper any longer and I don't look it up. I found his column by chance in the 1990s as I was very much on my way out. I can't say I'll miss him as I usually only read him if someone posts his column on here, but he helped a lot when I was first going through the end of my marriage and leaving mormonism.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: February 14, 2021 09:09PM

He says he's happy to be retiring. We'll be celebrating our 50th high school reunion this summer, and I expect he'll put in an appearance.

My favorite Kirby one-liner was an answer to a question about whether he was worried about the LDS Church FP hassling him. He answered, "Nope. They're old. I can beat them up."

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: February 15, 2021 02:46PM

Thanks for posting this. I found out his father was around the same age as mine who died recently.

https://www.sltrib.com/opinion/kirby/2020/10/02/robert-kirby-old-man-is/

I'm not a fan but I have found a bit of his writing entertaining. Also, we have the same first name and his last name is my middle name.

I can't say I'm sad to see him go. I think he had jumped the shark for his audience long before he had his trouble with giving edibles.

https://www.kuer.org/news/2018-09-13/tribune-columnist-robert-kirby-apologizes-for-his-treatment-of-writer-courtney-kendrick

I liked the Bagley cartoon except it should have read when the Utahan Robert Kirby stopped doing stupid things.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: February 15, 2021 04:28PM

I like that he stayed in the church—-what a stellar thorn in Mormonism’s side !

Can you imagine giving a talk or bearing your soul in testimony meeting with him watching ? And what if he took out a notepad and wrote something down and then stuck it back in his pocket ? It’s a wonder there’s anyone left in his ward !

I bet now that he’s retired, he has no need to stay in Mormonism and tap that comedy gold.

Posted by: JoeSmith666 ( )
Date: February 15, 2021 05:20PM

He wont' get out of L-d$,inc. Not even to support his wife. He's a middle of the roader who found a way to cash in on his Church membership. The possibility of further publication and speaking fees will keep him right where he is.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: February 15, 2021 06:06PM

I have no information to offer in contradiction, but I sure will hope you're wrong.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: February 15, 2021 07:19PM

He's probably working on his memoirs...a book in the making.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: February 15, 2021 07:51PM

I don’t think he’s a “middle of the roader.” He has capitalized on his mischievous nature. I envy that streak.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: February 16, 2021 01:27AM

We will have much to discuss over brunch whenvever I can get down to SLC.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.