Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: February 15, 2021 10:21AM

We often quote Brigham Young as saying if any man sleeps with a black woman both should be killed.

But what about other non white races.

I recently found a letter from Brigham Young to Jacob Hamblin dated 6 March 1863. In part it says

"I have written to Brother Erastus Snow in relation to marrying Moquis girls, informing him that the brethern are free to do so,"

Further on it gives instruction if the marriages are plural marriages.

When I was growing up in the 60s lots of men in my area had Asian wives. I remember being told Asians were the same as Lamanites. Didn't really understand that until years later.

Thought this might be of interest to some here.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: February 15, 2021 01:49PM

Once again it is a matter of mind control.
Mine over yours

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: February 15, 2021 02:24PM

How much Neanderthal heritage can you have before ghawd begins to clear his throat at the thought of you marrying into the good stuff?

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: February 15, 2021 02:27PM

I thought Lamanites weren't supposed to appear desirable to God's chosen people. Did a named Nephite ever marry a Lamanite in The Book of Mormon?

Posted by: Dr. No ( )
Date: February 15, 2021 02:33PM

Why does this stipulation-hair-splitting exist at all, what is the need for it, why is it so important to TSCC?

And why now the sudden "nuh-uhhhh, we were never like that."

It's a clue, like fever.
The fever isn't actually important.
The condition causing the fever, is.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: February 15, 2021 02:54PM

It just needs more cowbell.

Posted by: JoeSmith666 ( )
Date: February 15, 2021 05:25PM

Blacks meant NO priesthood.
Lamanites - you still got it.

Remember Joe was commanding his missionaries to take wives of the lamanites - the libido did not discriminate much.

Posted by: iceman9090 ( )
Date: February 24, 2021 07:46AM

JoeSmith666 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Remember Joe was commanding his missionaries to
> take wives of the lamanites - the libido did not
> discriminate much.

==What’s your source for this information?

~~~~iceman9090

Posted by: JoeSmith666 ( )
Date: February 24, 2021 09:05AM

http://www.withoutend.org/polygamy-revelations/

July 17, 1831 Revelation to Marry Lamanites

Joseph Smith had a revelation on July 17, 1831 having to do with marrying Indians which may have had to do with polygamous marriage. A group of Elders travelled into Indian Territory west of Jackson County, Missouri to begin the “Lamanite Mission.” Four months later in December, Ezra Booth wrote: “… it has been made known by revelation, that it will be pleasing to the Lord, should they form a matrimonial alliance with the Natives; and by this means the Elders, who comply with the thing so pleasing to the Lord, and for which the Lord has promised to bless those who do it abundantly, gain a residence in the Indian territory…”

Posted by: mikemitchell ( )
Date: February 15, 2021 07:29PM

Spencer W. Kimball "There is one thing I must mention, and that is the interracial marriages. When I said you must teach your young people to overcome prejudices and accept the Indians, I did not mean that you would encourage intermarriage."

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: February 15, 2021 07:30PM

Yeah! White people gotta know their limits, gotta respect the boundaries!

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: February 16, 2021 02:48PM

My last roommate married a Japanese guy--who I just love. He is such a great guy. My dad knew him really well, knew his whole family, and the family LOVED my dad, but my dad told me he was glad I didn't marry someone Japanese. My dad was a bigot. Oddly, he was the one who told me gays are born that way (in all my struggles and he couldn't believe his intelligent daughter would marry someone gay).

Then I knew people who live by them in another city. He was a bishop and the people thought he didn't have a right to be called as bishop since he was Asian!?!?!?

Posted by: Void K. Packer ( )
Date: February 16, 2021 03:38PM

"We often quote Brigham Young as saying if any man sleeps with a black woman both should be killed."

That is the first time I have heard this, or at least remember hearing it. Are the offspring also supposed to be killed? If so, one line of my ancestry would have been eliminated.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: February 16, 2021 05:00PM

Brigham actually said they should be killed on the spot if caught sleeping together, which solves the offspring problem.

Lovely chap, brother Brigham.

Posted by: Void K. Packer ( )
Date: February 16, 2021 05:39PM

Only in flagrante delicto, eh? I guess my line was safe(er). It was the standard story of a nephew raping his uncle's slave in 1840 North Carolina. Brother horney joe was profit at the time far away.

This does have relevance to this thread. Said offspring was my great great grandfather. He married a Mormon and in due course they moved to Zion. Bountiful to be precise. He was baptized into the church, passing himself off as half Lamanite. However, he was denied entry to the temple to be sealed. The worthy bish at the time was not convinced about the Lamanite story, though he was not so suspicious as to ex ggpa.

One suspects brother Brigham would have had no hesitation in ex-ing him. Or killing him. As has been noted, brother B was such a lovely chap.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: February 16, 2021 03:54PM

Once in early-morning seminary in probably 1966, the lesson touched on black people and the priesthood, and how even black women could not come into the temple because it's under the direction of the priesthood, and black people can't... Yada-yada, ergo-ergo. So I asked about why men were free to marry Asians. There was no good answer, of course, just some shrugging and reminding me the the women are, after all, Asian, not black.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: February 25, 2021 10:10AM

"The color of a person's skin does not change the color of their soul"© Matthew N. Holland

People are so superstitious.
I call it 'stupidstitious'.

Afraid to accept all
Scared to honor others
Unable to accept "differences"

What the 'church' teaches is all wrong. It makes the people wrong (many of them were wrong anyway).

Marry - Or Stay Single - for LOVE. As Below, So Above. That's what we're made of!

Differences vs. Simularities
There are no comparisons

M@t™

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: February 27, 2021 02:19PM

why can't we just be human beings and treat each other with respect?
Why does skin pigment have to be the determining fctor in dealing one with another
I get so tired of hearing this go on and on and on and on
Let's form an
ANTI PIGMENT PREJUDICE LEAGUE

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.