Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: February 19, 2021 12:30PM

NOBODY SHOULD HAVE TO SUFFER THROUGH CANCER
My wife died from lung cancer
It is horrible
My sympathies to his family

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: February 19, 2021 12:49PM

Limbaugh claimed smoking was not harmful. He killed himself.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: February 19, 2021 01:24PM

It was not harmful to George Burns. He was no George Burns.

Limbaugh suffered plenty in his life, but that life is now over. The man made a difference, and in this world making a difference means making enemies. It’s hard to handle that sort of thing with grace.

Nobody deserves to suffer. That’s a good attitude to have. In India, you literally deserve to suffer. It doesn’t work out well.

Date: February 19, 2021 01:28PM

George Burns didn't make false claims about smoking.

Posted by: Tyson Dunn ( )
Date: February 22, 2021 01:27PM

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: February 22, 2021 02:20PM

Agree with Tyson.

Joseph Stalin made a difference, so too Joseph Chamberlain. So too did the Ayatollah Khomenei.

I'm not sure they are people whose "achievements" merit respect.

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: February 23, 2021 08:29PM

Joseph Chamberlain?
Or his son, Neville?

Date: February 23, 2021 08:36PM

Now you see there? I was caught out in an error. Thanks, my friend, for setting me straight.

Now lettuce diskuss those speling and hammer erreousnesses. . .

Date: February 23, 2021 08:51PM

Hay, noboddy is purrfect!

Date: February 23, 2021 08:55PM

That's rite!

Date: February 20, 2021 10:55AM

Soooooooooooooooo??????????????

Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: February 19, 2021 01:32PM

I lost a partner to breast cancer and wouldn't wish cancer on my worst enemy. But like Dave said, he brought it on himself by continuing to smoke, despite KNOWING that it caused cancer, and CHOOSING to live in denial.
That being said, Limbaugh was an unabashed bigot, who spewed his bigotry and lies on a daily basis.
He is responsible for spreading the Birtherism conspiracy theory, which is a racist lie used to drive a wedge between Americans. It worked and the world is better off with one less hate spewing bigot in it. Hopefully the remaining bigots go the way of this dinosaur.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: February 19, 2021 01:43PM

I wouldn't wish cancer on anyone, but he was still a bully of the first order.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: February 19, 2021 01:56PM

I really don't get caught up in people's politics. If you are going to get political then you are going to cause a stir. It why you don't talk politics or religion if you want to avoid controversy.

Rush Limbaugh, Larry King and Art Bell were the three guys who brought AM radio back in the 90's. They were the pioneers of talk radio. Lot's of people have followed in their footsteps but those three guys were the best at what they did. Rush was a talented radio guy. It's not easy to run a show like that. You have to have a lot of talent to build it up to that level and keep it going.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: February 19, 2021 02:06PM

"It why you don't talk politics or religion if you want to avoid controversy."

Ignoring problems does not make them go away.

Avoiding all controversy is a good way to end up a door mat.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: February 19, 2021 02:20PM

"I don't approve of getting face to face with people who don't think as I do.

"I prefer sneaking up behind them in a dark alley, with a baseball bat...wood, cuz the 'GOOONG!' sound an aluminum bat makes carries too far!"

--Gladys Lott, heiress to the Lipton Tea Cozy Fortune

Date: February 19, 2021 03:28PM

"Get ready, Sr. Jesus, for now He Who Must Not Be Named will appear and demand that you explain the joke to him."

--Judith Best, heir and administratrix of Pete Best's extensive Midlands holdings

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: February 19, 2021 06:24PM

Hitler was talented, too. He was a gifted orator, and he persuaded an entire country to follow him. Talent does not equal basic human decency.

Date: February 19, 2021 06:28PM

I don't see any benefit in seeing Hitler suffer unnecessarily in death but I'm glad he died and wish it had happened earlier--like 1923.

Date: February 20, 2021 01:24AM

Headline ... "DeSantis orders flag flown at half staff to honor Rush Limbaugh."

Posted by: Cold-Dodger ( )
Date: February 20, 2021 01:30AM

My only point was that Rush was an asshole who sparked something that created decades of misery for the United States and that is still getting worse. I don’t have to mourn him or pretend like he was some great patriot who did us all a service by turning half of us into zombies that irrationally hate the other half no matter what they do or say.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: February 20, 2021 06:23AM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rush_Limbaugh%E2%80%93Sandra_Fluke_controversy

Limbaugh called her a slut and made other comments I wont' repeat.

In 2007 he used the phrase, "Barack the Magic Negro." Nuff said...

The world is a better place with his passing.

Posted by: Meme Guy ( )
Date: February 20, 2021 06:49AM

That phrase "MN" comes from cinema and literature. It's not one I'd ever use and I . It is actually a stereotype of black people, a guy who is old and wise because he is black. An MN can fix everything magically. It's like Indians (both kinds) all being mystics who are in touch with nature.

It's a phrase in line with Manic Pixie Girl - the kind of characters Kirsten Dunst or Zooey Deschanel once played. Morgan Freeman has played one or two in his films. The ultimate example is in "The Green Mile" film.

In the end up, he turned out to be another machine politician who loved war but that is another matter.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: February 20, 2021 10:47AM

Whether you're trying to derail this thread or defend Limbaugh's obvious racism.

Given that you just appeared today (and out of nowhere), I'm suitably underwhelmed.

Date: February 20, 2021 11:23AM

ditto

Posted by: ookami ( )
Date: February 20, 2021 02:26PM

I'd guess he's trying to do both.

And I suspect he's posted here before under another name.

Date: February 20, 2021 07:01PM

Hey, in the other thread he said he lives in Canada, derides American politics, and protests, I say protests, that he is not a binary thinker.

So yeah, he's been on the board under a different nickname--actually five or six--in the last few days.

Posted by: ookami ( )
Date: February 20, 2021 07:12PM

And yet the "what about"-ing, the vile signaling*, the condescending tone, all of it feels so familiar. Almost like he was doing this on the board before.

*where a scumbag brags about being a scumbag.

Date: February 20, 2021 07:15PM

Well, the same troll just went after you and your "ookami" name. He thinks that means "God."

Silly man.

Date: February 20, 2021 11:42AM

"If you’re mourning the death of Rush Limbaugh, you’ve revealed how rotten you are" -- P.Z.Myers

Posted by: Dr. No ( )
Date: February 20, 2021 12:24PM

so I found him hilarious.
He passed that unmarked point by a country mile so I would laugh (literally)

Passing-that-unmarked-point demonstration:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gv2RnmQUMhI

Gifted? Capable? Genius?
A "circus freak" may be the attraction; but it is the ringmaster who organizes success.

But perhaps he was actual genius.
If truly genius he did not believe his schtick, too ridiculous. Drug dealer too smart to indulge.
Would have been a hobby - swill he'd dole out to the sheeple for his own entertainment.

There remain many more who entertain still

Date: February 20, 2021 12:38PM

The prescription drug addiction aside and hypocrisy that accompanied that episode, Rush's real drug of choice was adulation and worship from the masses. His talent was selling whatever would satisfy the cravings. We are wired as humans to align ourselves with the strong and he was as audaciously ballsy as they come and perceived as having the strength of a giant.

Shame more aren't wired to align themselves with intelligence, reason, and self respect. Seems like you have to break a mold to find that.

Date: February 20, 2021 12:53PM

You find him hilarious but millions of dangerous heavily armed rubes take him serious.

Posted by: Dr. No ( )
Date: February 20, 2021 01:20PM

Dave the Atheist Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You find him hilarious but millions of dangerous
> heavily armed rubes take him serious.
===============================

But they're not ten feet tall.
They want very much to be taken seriously.
They want you to be afraid. Don't be. Just do what must be done.

These are structurally weak people -- that's why they must listen to carnival freaks to get a sense of "who am I."

And as prior military, I do find these hilarious - milling about in their make-believe warrior outfits looking for a father

Posted by: schweizerkind ( )
Date: February 20, 2021 12:19PM

"De mortuis nil nisi bene dicendum,"a Latin phrase meaning "of the dead say only good." So I'll say "good."

Posted by: JoeSmith666 ( )
Date: February 20, 2021 12:46PM

He was such a bullying, lying Horse's butt he SHOULD have been a mormon.

Probably have mormons lining up now to do his Temple work.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: February 20, 2021 01:52PM

Proxy baptism of murderers is one thing, but Rush regularly smoked cigars. I'm not sure they would allow a cigar smoker's spirit into the temple.

;)

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: February 20, 2021 05:03PM

Limbaugh dealt with his addictions: pain killers and tobacco. He dealt with them openly. He went into treatment for opiates and licked it. This was during a decade when opiate abuse was on the rise, but widely ignored because of political embarrassment to a certain party. Like homelessness.

And he licked tobacco ("my formerly nicotine-stained fingers"), a very tough monkey to shake. It took me several years and multiple attempts.

Regarding "Barak the Magic Negro," the term was originally a literary/cinematic one and applies (or applied) to a black character with great insight or socially healing abilities, a dramatic shaman or interlocutor of sorts. In this transcript, Rush explained to a caller that he lifted it from a column by David Ehrenstein of the LA Crimes, who pointed out that many were attracted to him (Obama) simply because he was black, and it assuaged the guilt of white liberals, most of whom knew (or cared) very little about his political past or what Obama's positions were.

https://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2007/03/23/barack_the_magic_negro_explained2/

Shanken's "Barak the Magic Negro" parody

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N08ZIsSPKuo

The birther issue was developed and first floated by the Clinton campaign, subsequently dropped when she was persuaded (or informed) that 2008 was not to be her year, but 2012 or 2016. It was later exploited by evil Conservatives.

Date: February 21, 2021 01:28AM

caffiend Wrote:
> Limbaugh dealt with his addictions: pain killers
> and tobacco. He dealt with them openly. He went
> into treatment for opiates and licked it. This was
> during a decade when opiate abuse was on the rise,
> but widely ignored because of political
> embarrassment to a certain party. Like
> homelessness.
>
> And he licked tobacco ("my formerly
> nicotine-stained fingers"), a very tough monkey to
> shake. It took me several years and multiple
> attempts.

I guess you feel the same deep admiration for Obama. Or is it only conservatives who merit praise for getting the monkey off their backs?

--------------
> The birther issue was developed and first floated
> by the Clinton campaign,

False.

-----------
> subsequently dropped when
> she was persuaded (or informed) that 2008 was not
> to be her year,

She fired a volunteer for the birther nonsense in December 2007. Is it your belief that she was already convinced (or informed) that she could not possibly win the election 11 months later?

--------------
You can find a factual history of the birther movement's origins here.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/hillary-clinton-started-birther-movement/

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: February 20, 2021 05:15PM

I think Rush was a demagogue but he was very good at being a demagogue.

Date: February 20, 2021 07:17PM

That's a bit like saying Jack the Ripper was very good at being a rapist. It's true but, one would hope, beside the point.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: February 20, 2021 11:57PM

But haven’t the goal posts moved from 1980? Racism is unacceptable now, but I grew up in redneck country where it was pretty much universal. My crowd made a sport out of making the most offensive racist jokes. You can’t do that anymore. But my point is that this was the mentality of Rush and his audience. You can’t really apply today’s standards to that era. It’s like tearing down a Thomas Jefferson statue because he owned slaves.

Rush was a radio version of Bugs Bunny. He would say things you either wouldn’t say or weren’t clever enough to think of. Basic juvenile humor for adults.

If America has lost its sense of humor, we really are up sh*t creek. Now more than ever we need to laugh to get through these trying times.

Posted by: macaRomney ( )
Date: February 20, 2021 08:50PM

Rush was totally awesome. I would tune in at least once a week. There isn't anyone on the left that would do the things Rush did, he was always picking at the motive, a shrewd judge of character. Nothing in Washington got past Rush.

But more importantly much of his program was all about giving wise advice, and perspective to people struggling with difficulties. Media people on the left as far as I can see never give helpful advice except in ways to be a victim, and in displaying outrage (Which actually accomplishes nothing).

Date: February 20, 2021 09:12PM

I'm sure Rush shared your disdain for the quadratic equation.

Date: February 20, 2021 11:18PM

Date: February 20, 2021 11:34PM

Perhaps on your end of the dial.

Date: February 20, 2021 11:36PM

Would that be applied math or theoretical math ?

Date: February 20, 2021 11:52PM

https://thepostmillennial.com/oregon-promotes-divisive-critical-race-theory-in-math-curriculum

From the article:

In April, math teachers learn not to focus on kids "getting the 'right' answer." This perpetuates "objectivity as well as a fear of open conflict." Students' mistakes should not be equated with "wrongness," because that "reinforces perfectionism… and paternalism."

May is all about how to "dismantle power structures in the classroom." Instead, teachers should use "Community circles or storytelling circles, incorporating dance, music, song, call and response, and other cultural ways of communicating."

Also,

https://mynorthwest.com/2604518/rantz-bill-and-melinda-gates-foundation-bankrolls-math-is-racist-lunacy/

Fun Fact: Did you know Bill Gates owns more farmland than any other individual in the US? Not that that applies to math and racism, but he's an oligarch, and oligarchs know what's best for us.

Date: February 20, 2021 11:57PM

thepostmillennial.com is not a source I read.

Sorry.

Date: February 21, 2021 01:09AM

Postmillenial is only reporting what other people have found out. That's why I included another, local, source.

Anthony Fauci, currently the highest paid Federal employee anywhere ($430K), donated $1200 to Hillary Clinton's campaign and wrote, following her Benghazi hearings, "She faced extremely difficult circumstances at the Hearings and still she hit it right out of the park. Please tell her that we all love her and are very proud to know her.”

Date: February 21, 2021 01:37AM

caffiend Wrote:
> Postmillenial is only reporting what other people
> have found out. That's why I included another,
> local, source.

Fine. You should have stuck with the local source, which has more detail and less cant.

More importantly, what does Oregon school policy have to do with the topic of this thread, which is Rush Limbaugh's death?

-----------------
> Anthony Fauci, currently the highest paid Federal
> employee anywhere ($430K), donated $1200 to
> Hillary Clinton's campaign and wrote, following
> her Benghazi hearings, "She faced extremely
> difficult circumstances at the Hearings and still
> she hit it right out of the park. Please tell her
> that we all love her and are very proud to know
> her.”

We've seen that your post is itself divorced from the topic of the thread; it is a non sequitur motivated by nothing but a hostility to Dems.

But this paragraph is a non sequitur on steroids. Anthony Fauci's attitude towards Hillary Clinton has nothing to do with 1) the topic of this thread, or 2) your first paragraph.

--------------
Recall finally that Trump could have fired Fauci any time he wanted. Neither Clinton nor Obama compelled your hero to keep such an evil man on.

Date: February 21, 2021 01:55AM

It's Dem derangement syndrome.

Date: February 20, 2021 11:54PM

“The coronavirus is the common cold, folks.” ... “Drudge has a screaming headline: ‘Flight attendant working LAX tests positive.’ ” Limbaugh pitched his voice up as high as it could go, mocking the (gay) news-aggregator: “Oh, my God, 58 cases! Oh, my God. Oh, my God! ... So forget about the “staged overrunning of hospitals” being used to inflate the coronavirus numbers. Pay no heed to Dr. Anthony Fauci, that known “Hillary Clinton sympathizer” working to “get rid of Donald Trump.” Don’t go around looking like a “mask-wearing freak.” Instead, gird yourself for battle." -- Rush Limbaugh

Posted by: logged out today ( )
Date: February 21, 2021 12:19AM

I do take some measure of satisfaction that he hung on just long enough to see his BFF summarily rejected and tossed out on his fat orange ass.

Date: February 21, 2021 09:46AM

after all of you commented I still say it's a lousy way to go

Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: February 22, 2021 03:31PM

thedesertrat1 Wrote:
> after all of you commented I still say it's a
> lousy way to go

I suppose you'd defend the 'honor' of any white supremacist then.

Date: February 23, 2021 08:22PM

schrodingerscat Wrote:
> thedesertrat1 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > after all of you commented I still say it's a
> > lousy way to go
>
> I suppose you'd defend the 'honor' of any white
> supremacist then.
No my point was I wouldn't wish death by cancer on anyone.

Date: February 23, 2021 09:04PM

It's possible The Cat is just being a bit intractable. He does have feelings, as he expressed earlier in this very thread:

> I lost a partner to breast
> cancer and wouldn't wish
> cancer on my worst enemy.

He just gets caught up in vehemence sometimes. He may think it's a sign of manliness.

Who really knows, when it comes to The Cat?

Although please take this with a grain of salt. I am known to be so full of shit that my eyes are brown, so ...

Date: February 23, 2021 09:08PM

If your eyes are blue, then you're a quart low.

Date: February 23, 2021 09:16PM

Or just a deacon.

Date: February 23, 2021 09:16PM

> I am known to be so full of shit that my eyes are
> brown, so ...

Indeed.

I thought that was one of the Cat's most temperate observations, the perfect climate in which to grow flowers from . . . well, you know.

Date: February 23, 2021 09:20PM

Well, I certainly had no problem identifying with it!

And as Eeyore is wont to say, "Thanks fer noticing me..." in just that perfect voice!

Posted by: Humberto ( )
Date: February 21, 2021 01:26PM

Rush Limbaugh, like Joseph Smith, and Joseph Stalin and many others, probably died satisfied that he lived his best life. That there was a cost to others was probably not even on their minds.

Some may believe that all is made right in the afterlife. For others, the only satisfaction comes in knowing that they're gone, and in the hope that their replacements will be people whose "best lives" aren't built at the deliberate expense of others.

Maybe it's a callous stance, but what he died from is irrelevant given that few of us will get off easy... cancer isn't the only hard road...

Date: February 22, 2021 01:37PM

Nice take. And it's not callous, just the truth. Disease is no respecter of persons.

Date: February 23, 2021 08:42PM

Could we offer nominations on who could really use it?

Posted by: frankie ( )
Date: February 25, 2021 01:46AM

I liked rush too, but he smoked. We all have our vices. I wash my floors in windex every night. I guess I'll get cancer too.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.