Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: February 19, 2021 02:06PM

Good question for Mormons and other creationists,
How do you reconcile the DNA Evidence that Eurasians are part Neanderthal with your belief that God created the first Humans from scratch 6,000 years ago, when Neanderthals went extinct 40,000 years ago?

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/other/539323-genetic-mutation-inherited-from-neanderthals-could-help-protect

"Researchers have discovered a possible genetic link between Neanderthal DNA and a lower risk of developing a severe case of the coronavirus.

A new study ( https://www.pnas.org/content/118/9/e2026309118 ) conducted by Hugo Zeberg and Svante Pääbo at the Max Planck Institute for Evolutionary Anthropology in Germany, followed up on recent research that suggested Neanderthal DNA was actually linked to higher risk of severe illness...
...The researchers said that Neanderthals and their Asian sister group the Denisovans became extinct tens of thousands of years ago, but their genetic impact still lingers today.

"Some of these contributions may reflect adaptations to environments outside Africa where Neanderthals lived over several hundred thousands of years. During this time, they are likely to have adapted to infectious diseases, which are known to be strong selective factors that may, at least partly, have differed between sub-Saharan Africa and Eurasia," they wrote.

The study suggested that the Neanderthal DNA that protects against severe illness may have occurred due to past epidemics that were caused by RNA viruses, a category that includes the coronavirus."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2021 02:07PM by schrodingerscat.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: February 19, 2021 02:15PM

I think you're making it very clear that Mormons and other creationists don't agree with Atheists when it comes to reviewing a lot of available 'scientific' data.

I find this astounding! One group is wrong and one group is moving closer to ultimate truth. But which one?!? Each side makes claims!

If only there were a universally accepted arbiter regarding which system of thought is correct. ...or correctyer...

I'm in your camp, Cat. Next time I'm at church, I'll throw this one at them!

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: February 19, 2021 02:22PM

New way to get a date in 2021: Pass yourself off as a Neanderthal.

Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: February 19, 2021 02:31PM

If this is true, then my hubby, according to DNA results has more Neanderthal DNA than 96% of the customers in the DNA testing business. Our daughter got us kits for Christmas a couple of years ago, and it was interesting to find out what our results were.

Date: February 19, 2021 02:36PM

I've asked MORmONs that question before and their typical response is,
"Gee I don't know. God works in mysterious ways, but what does that have to do with my Salvation?"

My response usually goes something like this,
"I don't feel any need for 'saving'. The only thing I need is the truth and I know you're not telling the truth if you can't begin to reconcile your belief that God created the first humans 6,000 years ago, with the fact we have Neanderthal DNA in our genetic makeup, when they went extinct 34,000 years before you say God created the first Humans. So come on back when you're ready to tell the truth!"

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: February 19, 2021 03:01PM

schrodingerscat Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I've asked MORmONs that question before and their
> typical response is,
> "Gee I don't know. God works in mysterious ways,
> but what does that have to do with my Salvation?"
>
> My response usually goes something like this,
> "I don't feel any need for 'saving'. The only
> thing I need is the truth and I know you're not
> telling the truth if you can't begin to reconcile
> your belief that God created the first humans
> 6,000 years ago, with the fact we have Neanderthal
> DNA in our genetic makeup, when they went extinct
> 34,000 years before you say God created the first
> Humans. So come on back when you're ready to tell
> the truth!"

You really say that to them ? I just put my hands in my pockets, roll up and down onto my toes a couple of time, and say, “Okie Dokie.”

Date: February 19, 2021 03:05PM

Yes!!! I call it 'rocking back and forth on my heels' but it's got to be the same action!! Way to go, you!!

If only The Cat were capable of such eloquence!!! The mind reels!!

Posted by: moehoward ( )
Date: October 13, 2021 09:28AM

Kathleen, I like your response. The only way to engage with Mormons is not to engage, waste of time.

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: February 19, 2021 03:16PM

Life is nothing but reconciliation for some people I suppose, always demanding it for yourself and/or from others.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: February 19, 2021 06:33PM

You are soooooo silly.

Certain uber righteous Neanderthals were translated and brought to earth to witness the world that would produce christ.

They were promise the messiah would descend from them.

See?

All you need is a profit to explain it!

Date: February 19, 2021 07:12PM

The church needs to do a proper assessment and out of the data gathered, prepare a right and proper Prophet & Loss Statement.

They need to look at the figures, which includes the 100+ Billion Dollar 'rainy apocalypse' fund, and lay it out for the membership just how they're doing, and what they plan to do.

While I'm sure that quite a large segment of the faithful membership have no problem letting the Elites lead and guide them, it couldn't hurt for the Elites to sort of 'roadmap' the future for those who plan on staying in for the long haul.

Do you see the genius in promulgating the notion that the date of the Second Coming has to be kept a secret? Look at how foolish prior predictors have looked with their target dates came and went with no sign of the Savior! It's something JoJu would have come up with had not prior versions of his duplicitous self not already handled.

Plus Covid! ...to keep it all on topic...

Posted by: subeamnotlogedin ( )
Date: October 13, 2021 07:38AM

Here is another video about the rainy day fund.

https://youtu.be/BAav_R-XrXU

Date: February 21, 2021 11:38PM

I noted a headline promulgating the notion that wearing glasses gives you a lessened rate of catching the Covid-19. As in they keep virus-laden droplets from using your eyeballs as ports of entry.

To decrease the odds of contracting it, wear two pairs of glasses.

If you don't have glasses, trying wearing two pears. Can't hurt, right?

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: February 22, 2021 02:38AM

The dual pairs of glasses are the key to his romantic successes.

Date: October 16, 2021 11:48PM

Dagny's bought new glasses since that photo was taken.

Date: February 22, 2021 03:23AM

I'm writing this in hopes that it will give me the opportunity to take a screenshot of the index showing the first six threads all being the work of The Cat...

Wish me luck!

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: March 04, 2021 10:17PM

Texas has decided to "open up" the state completely: no state-required masks, social distancing, or fractional occupancy of public facilities. A prominent national figure called them "Neanderthals."

Hmmm....If they do have a surfeit of those Neanderthal genes, maybe things will work out for them after all!

Date: March 04, 2021 11:48PM

caffiend Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Texas has decided to "open up" the state
> completely: no state-required masks, social
> distancing, or fractional occupancy of public
> facilities. A prominent national figure called
> them "Neanderthals."
>
> Hmmm....If they do have a surfeit of those
> Neanderthal genes, maybe things will work out for
> them after all!

Just letting people do what they want and take personal responsibility didn't work out so well for Sweden.

Posted by: Curiosity ( )
Date: October 13, 2021 01:59PM

I’m curious…
It looks to me like Sweden has done quite well Covid-wise.
Less than 1500 deaths out of a greater than 10,000,000 population.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: October 13, 2021 02:22PM

Doesn't sound like Sweden was doing that well:

From The Lancet (April 2021):

"Instead of following evolving evidence, the FHM [Swedish Public Health] has doubled down and defended its approach without reconsidering the assumptions on which the failed national approach is based. It has downplayed the roles of asymptomatic spread, aerosol transmission, children as potential source of infection, and the use of face masks. It has maintained an approach that mainly builds on recommendations to take voluntary actions, guided (in our view) more by public opinion than by sound public health policy. The media has played a crucial role in this pandemic response, mostly lacking in investigative journalism and failing to question or hold the public health agency accountable, with some exceptions.

"Dagens Nyheter, a major newspaper, recently exposed Sweden's large inequities in COVID-19 deaths across income, education, and origin of birth—data that should have informed the national strategy from its inception.

"As of April 16, 2021, more than 13 700 people have died from COVID-19 in Sweden. The country has one of the highest infection rates in western Europe according to Our World in Data COVID-19 statistics, with 606 new infections per million per day, while its neighbours Denmark, Finland, and Norway reported 115, 62, and 112 new infections per million per day, respectively (April 15, 2021). New and more infective and deadly variants have taken over, and by April 15, 2021, the UK SARS-Cov-2 variant was supected to have caused 75–100% of all new cases in all regions. This indicates more rapid spread, more deaths, and that more young people will be affected, with intensive care units already at full capacity in some regions.4
While other countries are closing down in response to this new surge in cases, Sweden is opening up—high schools were opened on April 1, 2021. To continue on the same trajectory in the face of current trends, without timely action by agency and government leadership, raises concerns about governance and accountability, and ultimately about fundamental ethics and values."

-----

Hopefully, things have improved since April.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/13/2021 02:23PM by Nightingale.

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: October 13, 2021 07:36PM

These sources all report almost 15,000

https://covid19.who.int/region/euro/country/se

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/region/sweden

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/sweden/

From the third source, Sweden has a death rate of 1462/million (not total deaths)
Denmark has a rate of 460/million, Norway has a rate of 161/million, and Finland has a rate of 200/million.

Posted by: squirrely ( )
Date: October 13, 2021 06:39PM

We should not insult neanderthals

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: October 15, 2021 01:00AM

I did the Ancestry thing some years ago, and was deeply disappointed to learn that I haven't a drop of Neanderthal blood. Anglo-Germanic, every bit. (It seemed kind of exotic, having a Neanderthal in the woodpile.)

But I deeply believe in vaccines and am just waiting for Moderna to come out with their "booster."

Date: October 15, 2021 01:14AM

catnip, the most extensive analysis to date indicates that everyone in Europe--and even in East Asia and most of north Africa--carries Neanderthal DNA. That the testing companies failed to catch that reflects the limitations of their laboratory equipment at the time of the assays.

So you can proudly drag your knuckles like the rest of us.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: October 16, 2021 01:22AM

Posted by: squirrely ( )
Date: October 13, 2021 06:36PM

Who's knuckles drag more: an unvaccinated TBM or a Neanderthal?

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: October 14, 2021 07:52AM

I’d like some after-market Neanderthal genes, please.

Date: October 16, 2021 11:37PM

A recent study showed that Progressive women are happiest when in a relationship with men who espouse traditional values. I interpret that to be alpha types.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcLXs3Np93s

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: October 16, 2021 11:55PM

One song. 1962.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: October 16, 2021 11:43PM

But what about my Australopithecus jeans ?

Date: October 16, 2021 11:53PM

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: October 17, 2021 12:16AM

Woo hoo for Neanderthals. LOL I have a fairly high level of Neanderthal genes. No Denisovan, but plenty of Neanderthal.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.