Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: February 24, 2021 10:32AM

Fascinating new way to analyze health risks wherein rather than studying a certain factor to determine it's effect, good or bad, a new method called "machine learning" uses computers to find meaningful patterns in large amounts of data.

So instead of just looking at coffee or smoking or cholesterol etc to see if they are harmful or helpful, instead all known data was entered about them and the machine processed the information to find which of of factors was the most beneficial in reducing risk of heart failure. With this system there is no need to cherry pick, then, or interpret. Just the facts, ma'am.

From the article:

"A large analysis looked at hundreds of factors that may influence the risk of heart failure, and found one dietary factor in particular that was associated with a lower risk: Drinking coffee."

This was all from the NYT Science Section last night. Caught my attention while I was looking at the Mars Landing thing.

Said drinking a cup a day or less has no effect. Two cups a day conferred a 31 percent reduced risk and 3 cups a 29% reduced risk.

Had to laugh remembering the time my mother saw the coffee maker on my counter and said " You USE coffee?!?!," in the same tone as if she had caught me using heroin.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: February 24, 2021 10:42AM

> Had to laugh remembering the
> time my mother saw the coffee
> maker on my counter and said,
> "You USE coffee?!?!," in the
> same tone as if she had caught
> me using heroin.

Well!?!?

Don't keep us hanging! Do the stats get better or worse if you drink coffee AND use heroin?

I began drinking coffee a year ago. I'm drinking it right now, my 16 oz daily big mug of Big Black Coffee, shaken, not stirred. In this same time period, I've shed 32 pounds. Marie Osmond has been leaving phone messages for the last couple of weeks...

Date: February 24, 2021 12:02PM

Haven't got around to heroin and coffee--missed that one in the seventies--- but let me tell you, coffee with my drug of choice, German Chocolate Cake, is my stairway to heaven.

Date: February 24, 2021 12:38PM

I did coffee and just-out-of-the-oven Krusteaz honey cornbread the other day, and kept peeking through the blinds, looking for the cops, cuz I was certain it has to be illegal ...

I still have four boxes to go: it was on sale, $1.99 if you bought five or more. But I'm scared ...

I know I'm going to hell.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: February 24, 2021 01:13PM

elderolddog Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I did coffee and just-out-of-the-oven Krusteaz
> honey cornbread the other day, and kept peeking
> through the blinds, looking for the cops, cuz I
> was certain it has to be illegal ...
>
> I still have four boxes to go: it was on sale,
> $1.99 if you bought five or more. But I'm scared
> ...
>
> I know I'm going to hell.
Probably
But I will probably be there to shake hand with you
By the way I am prepared for the next life
I bought a $2.00 harp
And a $20 coal shovel

Date: February 24, 2021 05:03PM

> And a $20 coal shovel

This one always bugged me! If it's 'hotter than hell', where would one be shoveling the already assuredly burning coal? Sure, the devil could be having you shovel it from one pile to another, but surely there are more fiendish things than that...

I don't think much time was spent really thinking out Hell ought to be run. And by whom it was to be run.

I think some things about religion are made up!

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: February 24, 2021 06:58PM

If the residents of hell weren't shoveling coal into the furnace it would be cold as hell.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: February 24, 2021 10:57PM

“Do the stats get better or worse if you drink coffee AND use heroin?”

Never mix up the spoons. It’s one more thing for exmos to juggle.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: February 24, 2021 11:11PM

You can use a single needle to inject both.

--Stating for a friend

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: February 24, 2021 10:50AM

In mormonism, the question is not the longer you live, it’s the longer you’re dead. The sooner you’re dead, every body can get on with dead dunking you’re coffee-less old cadaver (in spirit only for reasons of sanitation.)

So get that damned cofee maker outta there ! It’s messin with their plan.

Date: February 24, 2021 11:02AM

The one ploy that seems to keep that at bay is that I've not let anyone know what's in my Will. Not my kids, not Saucie, not my attorneys ... Not even I know anymore.

This is why, out of a playful sense of Heaven helps them who help themselves, I've left several blank Wills, signed and dated, scattered about the house and the estate, as well as up at the two cabins.

What'll I care?

Posted by: Dorothy ( )
Date: February 24, 2021 11:43AM

I agree, you won't care, but right now you know you'll be leaving a bit of a mess behind.

I believe in life after death--OTHER people's life after my death.

Date: February 24, 2021 12:35PM

I really don't know what stand to take on this
I am 85 years old
I have been drinking coffee for more than 60 years
I have only had one heart attack
I still hike all over the mountains in Utah lugging my 4x5 monorail view camera, various lenses, and my heavy duty tripod.
Also I carry instant coffee and sugar and cream in my thermos jug.
Am I in great danger?

Date: February 24, 2021 12:43PM

Sounds more like you are dangerous---In a good way. Way to go.

Date: February 24, 2021 01:09PM

Done & Done Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sounds more like you are dangerous---In a good
> way. Way to go.

thank you

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: February 24, 2021 10:42PM

That's impressive, thedesertrat1. You are doing something right.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: February 24, 2021 01:11PM

Nor alcohol lover. Not even a marijuana lover. I guess I was just destined to be mormon???

My dad drank coffee all my life. I worried about it as a child that my dad wouldn't be with us in heaven. It started out my obsession with making sure I took us all with me somehow (and now my daughter is following in my footsteps, although she doesn't think she is). He didn't have the best of health. But he worked harder than anyone I've ever known. He taught high school and ran his farm. He was still driving to the farm daily to sit and enjoy it in his pickup the week he died. His knees were bad and he would limp out to the pickup. He had a heart attack at age 39. Never had another, but had bypass surgery at about 66.

But that isn't why I don't drink coffee. I don't want to make it every morning as I'm lazy. I don't buy it at McDonald's or Starbucks for myself (I do buy it for my son). And I'm cheap where it comes to alcohol. I do buy some marijuana, little 63-year-old me. My "husband" picks it up when he visits his old boyfriend in CA. But I don't use it daily. Only now and then. It is much cheaper than alcohol for a "buzz."

**I should add that my boyfriend bought me marijuana for my extremely arthritic hands and that is why I use it. I do need my hands for working.

My sister gets a big kick out of me using marijuana. She says when her husband dies, she wants to try some. She still goes to church to make him happy, but she doesn't believe.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2021 01:31PM by cl2.

Date: February 24, 2021 01:24PM

"My dad drank coffee all my life. I worried about it as a child that my dad wouldn't be with us in heaven."

Just so wrong that a child should have that thought. About Coffee of all things. Might as well be about spaghetti for all the sense it makes. I guess they like to keep you focused on the little things as a distraction?

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: February 24, 2021 01:34PM

One of those memories that is in my brain from when I was about 5 years old. I can see myself looking at the "corner" cupboard where my dad kept his coffee. I find it odd that my mother didn't bug him about it. He told me late in life that she never bugged him about his alcohol drinking. Found out he chewed tobacco the year of so before he died. His father chewed tobacco as a habit from WWI. His parents drank alcohol and coffee. Their house always smelled like coffee, so coffee reminds me of many good memories. I had the best grandparents on both sides. Absolutely the best.

But, yes, I decided I was going to do whatever I could to make sure my family was with me and I did. I was their DEVOUT child. My youngest brother still can't believe I don't believe. He left in his teens and he is still haunted BIG TIME by mormon teachings.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: February 25, 2021 08:36PM

“Just so wrong that a child should have that thought. About Coffee of all things.”

Indeed. Maybe that’s why I’m still here. Sufficient is the day unto the evil thereof.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: February 24, 2021 05:24PM

Mormons and coffee are like vampires and garlic. It's kind of funny, once you are a safe distance away from Mormonism.

BTW, I tend to be very skeptical of these health studies. Eat less (and a varied diet) and exercise. Everything else is of such little relative impact that a very small change in the data can switch something from "bad" to "good" or vice versa. The reality is that it doesn't much matter either way.

Date: February 25, 2021 10:03AM

Okay. The "vampires and garlic" made me laugh a little too hard. Nice.

I'm skeptical too. It's like the article I read a while ago that you were skeptical of. The chart showed the vaccinations barely keeping up with vaccine distribution. Wasn't the case at all.

Seems like you read one study one day and the opposite the next. And this one. I was thinking later. Yeah the machine did the work more dispassionately, but it comes down to which data was loaded in the first place. Still. Nice to see coffee in this light and there seems to be a trend with the coffee studies.

Exercise still seems to be the big ticket for me. Jack Lalanne used to say exercise was king and diet was queen. Now I like to think of coffee as at least the Joker is Wild.

Ole Jack knew. Did you see where is pulled seventy people in seventy boats one mile while swimming on his 70th? Wonder if he drank coffee?

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: February 24, 2021 05:40PM

It would be nice if the church leadership would have the courage to revisit the WoW in light of 21st century scientific knowledge. I don't think they will be able to do that, though. At this point the WoW is more about cultural custom than health.

Date: February 24, 2021 06:32PM

It's a great yardstick, by which fervor can be measured, and applause sought.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: February 25, 2021 09:55AM

Some "Think" of health
Others simply LIVE

How can you live if you don't wake up?

Live NOW
Holy Cow

You can do it Sugar

Date: February 25, 2021 10:16AM

Eat, drink and be merry for tomorrow we die? Yeah!

Of course, I was watching that show--My 600lb life the other night . . . and . . .

I'm more like eat, drink, and be merry--after you've done your chores, for tomorrow we don't know what the hell is going to happen but we got today so don't wait until you get to the fabled heaven to let loose and have a laugh cuz loud laughter seems to be the only thing that is still free, well, unless you laugh at the wrong thing, and then the social correctness police show up and report you to the newspaper and you lose your job and no one will talk to you and . . .

Where's my coffee?

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: February 25, 2021 04:11PM

I am fond of rye whiskey in my coffee.

Date: February 25, 2021 04:55PM

uh oh. Now you made me remember the Mexican coffee we used to get at El Coyote on Beverly Blvd. Tequila, Kahlua, and whipped cream on top. Sure to make you live forever, that combination. We already believed that anyway we were so young.

Those were the days . . . Maybe one more time before I die.

Posted by: Heidi GWOTR ( )
Date: February 25, 2021 08:08PM

D&D I can't find the article. Would you link please so I can share?

Date: February 25, 2021 08:42PM

Date: February 25, 2021 08:53PM

Thanks. I couldn't have done it anyway. I am not omnipotent with this linking thing. Other things, however . . .

Date: February 25, 2021 08:55PM

No worries, Boss.

May I bring you a cup of coffee or perhaps a glass of white wine?

Date: February 25, 2021 10:30PM

Get him his wry whiskey!

Date: February 25, 2021 10:34PM

Now that's a wry comment. We both know D&D is a classy guy, more a wine connoisseur than a bibulous fool like you and I.

Date: February 26, 2021 11:53AM

Thank you ! Put in on FB. Now, we'll see if anyone in my Mormon friends/family circle says anything.

Date: February 26, 2021 02:49PM

Please report back if the fish bite.

Date: February 26, 2021 05:06PM

I will come down.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.