Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: auntsukey ( )
Date: February 27, 2021 10:17AM

I just ran across this court case in which the Lighthouse Ministry was prohibited from linking the URL to the LDS Bishop's Handbook.

I'd never heard of it. Is anyone familiar with the implications? What affect did it have on Lighthouse's publications?

https://web.archive.org/web/20000816231406/http://www.llrx.com/features/urban.htm

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: February 27, 2021 11:11AM

If you couple reading the content of your cited article with reading this story, https://religionnews.com/2020/01/31/mormons-and-everyone-else-will-soon-have-access-to-the-churchs-handbook/ you'll see that

1.  ULM was 'in the wrong' in helping/urging dissemination of the content of the Bishop's Handbook, which was quite properly copyrighted and thus entitled to the protection the church sought.

and

2.  It no longer matters, since the entire Handbook is now online, available to anyone who wants to read it.

But I didn't see that the earlier issue was solved as to all the older versions of the Handbook, which the church wanted to be kept secret. It appears as if the church has given up trying to hide the embarrassment that issues from being the authors of what is supposed to pass for continuing revelation.

The Religious News article points some of this out.

Sometimes one is left to contemplate the possibility that the mormon church makes stuff up and then later regrets it, but pretends it doesn't. You know, ghawds are mysterious...

My favorite was the distinction the modern prophets made back in the day between "We will go down..." and "She will NOT go down..."

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: February 27, 2021 03:42PM

That’s what confuses me about the church’s stance on oral sex.

Posted by: Gordon B. Stinky ( )
Date: February 27, 2021 12:36PM

Talk about double talk...

Leave it to TSCC to hinge a lawsuit on a book being “unpublished” after they P̶u̶b̶l̶i̶s̶h̶e̶d̶ ... err, printed and distributed ... myriad copies.

Ironically, printed in the “unpublished” book, right under the title, is this copyright claim: “Published by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.”

But what would one expect from Joseph’s Myth, the “church” established on lies and promulgating lies for 2 centuries now?

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: February 27, 2021 02:16PM

If there's anything LDS history proves, it is that God is a lawyer.

Date: February 27, 2021 02:17PM

I can just see it...

A siren sounds in the distance and her ears perk up!

Date: February 27, 2021 02:25PM

And then God tells us that the word "stop" on that sign is ambiguous; that the invisible people at that inauguration should be counted as well; that "white" means "pure;" and that "the," "principal," and "among" are really the same thing.

Date: February 27, 2021 02:25PM

She's a gamer!!!

Date: February 27, 2021 02:40PM

And she only takes a 10% contingency fee.

And a 10% contingency fee.

And a 10% contingency fee.

. . .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2021 02:41PM by Lot's Wife.

Date: February 27, 2021 04:42PM

Lot's Wife Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If there's anything LDS history proves, it is that
> God is a lawyer.

You're probably right about that!

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: February 27, 2021 05:36PM

A lawyer and a money changer.

Date: February 27, 2021 06:01PM

Yeah! It’s puzzling that a God who can “reorganize matter” needs money. Jesus rode an occasional donkey, and apparently didn’t need more than robes and sandals before, but TsCC thinks he needs 100 billion in startup capital the next time. SMH

Date: February 27, 2021 06:28PM

Some of the things mormonism believes will occur before, at and after The Second Combing, with extensions!

According to LDS Church teachings, the restored gospel will be taught in all parts of the world prior to the Second Coming.[1] Church members believe that there will be severe wars, earthquakes, hurricanes, and other man-made and natural disasters prior to the Second Coming.

The LDS church teaches that Jesus will come in "power and great glory." Latter-day Saints believe that the person who will arrive is the same Jesus as the one who ascended to heaven in the New Testament account and that he will still have the marks of the nails in his hands and feet that he gained from the Crucifixion when he returns

The LDS Church teaches that the entire Earth will be aware of the arrival of Jesus, including non-believers.

Events that are specified in Church teachings to occur at the Second Coming include:

There will appear a great sign in heaven, and all the people shall see it.

The righteous that are upon the earth will be caught up to meet him.

Angels will announce his return, which all the inhabitants of the earth will hear, and every knee shall bow.

The LDS Church is fairly specific about the events that will occur at the Second Coming. It is believed that Christ will do the following things, though no order or time frame is specified:

Christ will complete the First Resurrection. This event involves Jesus resurrecting some of mankind. The LDS Church believes that the spirit world is a place where the souls of the dead reside prior to the Second Coming and Final Judgment but that this is not the soul's final resting place.

They believe that all the people of the earth will be resurrected and receive their physical body again, however, depending on their righteousness, this resurrection may occur at a different time for some.

They believe that after being judged, the souls of man will be placed in one of three separate kingdoms. Those who will obtain the highest kingdom will be resurrected first, followed by those who will obtain the second kingdom. This completes the First Resurrection. Those who obtain the lowest or no kingdom remain in spirit prison until the completion of the millennium.

He will judge the nations, and divide the righteous from the wicked.

The wicked will be removed from the earth. All things that are corrupt will be burned, and the earth will be cleansed with fire. Those who are good people, regardless of faith or beliefs, will remain.

The Jewish people who are living at the time will be able to see, touch, and feel the nail marks in his hands and feet, and will mourn because they, as a people, had rejected Jesus as the Messiah.

Jesus will directly rule as King of heaven and earth. He will establish a theocratic government and will usher in the new Millennium.

While all of this is going on, what might be happening with the Stock Market? With the Federal Reserve? Will there be a thing call Property Values, and who will set them, and who will facilitate the exchange of something of value for land?

What are the ideal circumstances that allow ChurchCo to rely on the "Money" they have stashed away? If it's in gold ingots, great. But if it's in 'cash' or securities, or stock & bonds...

Do you see what I'm driving at?

Finally, what will the faithful use to pay tithing? And who did the Jews following Moses pay 10% of their manna to?

Also, it just occurred to me, can I tell/show my bishop that the church gets 25% of my estate upon my death and count that as my tithing and get my TR? 50%? 100%?

Date: March 03, 2021 02:27AM

elderolddog Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> Do you see what I'm driving at?

If I read you right...

I pointed out the irrationality of an omnipotent god needing money, Your point is that if all the things that are supposed to transpire happen first, that even money as we know it will be worthless anyway. ???

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: February 28, 2021 05:27AM

This used to be a big BIG ass deal. We would get threats if a link was posted or anything but a tiny bit. And I mean TINY. Of course, people just passed it in email but we stayed out of legal trouble. It was a huge PIA.

Posted by: PHIL ( )
Date: February 28, 2021 07:28AM

I remember this episode quite clear.
In 2000 the CHOI was leaked and available on line
And it spread like wildfire.It was discussed on this forum extensively.
The Church tried to stop its spread and the Tanners were easy targets.

Date: March 03, 2021 02:30AM

I've followed the overarching story for a long time. UTLM probably should have known better than to put it online.

But enter the various leaks sites that are able to operate beyond the reach and of the US legal system.

I think it's hilarious that Wikileaks has even posted the morgbot's takedown order!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.