Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: February 28, 2021 05:43PM

https://www.sltrib.com/religion/2021/02/25/mormon-land-she-worked

In the podcast linked in the article, black Mormon convert, mission President of New Orleans Mission says, to summarize, he resolved the whole 'racism' problems in Mormonism a long time ago. He says he grew up Catholic in New Orleans and went to an all black church. From the front door of the all black Catholic Church he attended you could see the all White Catholic Church and they had the same white Priest up until recently. When the Priest was done leading the White Catholic Church services, he'd walk down the street to the black church and preach there. They finally got a black Priest at the Black Catholic Church after he converted to Mormonism. So he grew up with a lot worse racism in the Catholic church and never really had a problem with the far more subtle racism in the Mormon church.

Of course the Catholic church may have been segregated, in places and may still be segregated in those places, at least it never had racist, white supremacist scriptures, like the Mormon church still does to this day.
It didn't have policies that excluded blacks from their most holy places, like the Mormons did up until 1978.
Catholics were never made to feel like God hated them and the color of their skin, according to the alternative racist narrative of Mormonism, that still gets distributed around the world every day by the world's largest army of cult brainwashers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2021 01:30PM by schrodingerscat.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: March 01, 2021 01:06PM

He may well have a rude awakening some day. Meanwhile, he's purposely withholding facts from himself to make sense of it all.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: March 01, 2021 01:39PM

Yes but he pays prays and obeys

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: March 02, 2021 02:47AM

the more exmos click ~

the more scrode licking scat earns ~

better than street bums ~

~\||||||/~
~(0o)
~/'o'\~

Tier 1 ~ $5.50 per 1000 unique views

Tier 2 ~ $1.30 per 1000 unique views

Tier 3 ~ $0.25 per 1000 unique views

Tier 4 ~ $0.12 per 1000 unique views

~\||||||/~
~(0o)
~/'o'\~

Date: March 01, 2021 01:41PM

cludgie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> He may well have a rude awakening some day.
> Meanwhile, he's purposely withholding facts from
> himself to make sense of it all.

When I was still Mormon we had a couple of mixed race families move into the ward. White sisters, both married black men, who converted to Mormonism, in the interest of maintaining their families. We got to be friends both in church and outside of church as our sons were the same age and we coached sports teams together. We had some pretty intense discussions in our Elder's Quorum, which continued on outside of church. I really empathized with them and wondered what it must be like to be them, knowing about the history of racism in the church. So we spoke about it. It wasn't easy. They told me about the racism they encountered as Mormons, but it was always tempered by the love and kindness they'd been shown by Mormons. I had a Mormon friend who was quite the scholar, who put together his own research , all in chronological order, on 'problematic subjects'. He gave me a copy of one of those research papers he wrote on racism. I was blown away at how clearly it proved how deeply racist Mormonism was. I shared it with my black Mormon friends. They read it. When they came back and told me their impressions, one of them said, "If I didn't have some deeply spiritual experiences that confirmed the truthfulness of the gospel, I'd walk away right now and never turn back."
Eventually, we all did and I got the blame, by the Stake President and Bishop, for destroying their testimonies. When all I did was hand them a chronology of Mormon racism, which didn't draw any conclusions based upon the evidence.
We all drew our own conclusions based upon the evidence.
But it took getting to the point where we were willing to follow the evidence to it's logical conclusion first.

Posted by: Dr. No ( )
Date: March 01, 2021 01:59PM

who, riffing on psychological defenses, quipped:

"You know --- denial gets a really bad rap. It shouldn't.
Denial will get you through a lot of $#!t."

Date: March 01, 2021 11:06PM

anybody Wrote:
> n/t

It is also social in many cases.
I know and am still friends with both ExMormon and Mormons who are black, intelligent people and we have great conversations about racism. I was the guy they all came to to talk to about racism in the church and I tried to get answers for them. One of my best friends, still has 2 boys my kids age and they grew up together, told me that he went to our Stake President about his concerns with the racism he was subjected to by other Mormons. Our Stake President told him, "Well, if you're expecting an apology don't. Racism was based upon divine revelation. It's in the scriptures."
He was right.
It's right there.
If you read it you can't miss it.
I used to ask, "Why is that dude even a member of this church?"
Oh yeah, he's got a wife and 6 kids and a hell of a lot of connections and business advantages, due to the Mormon connections.
1.8% Blacks at BYU is actually higher than the Mormon church, which is only 1% and BYU is the least diverse campus in America, by far.
Which might explain why there might be even 1% of the Mormon church that's black?

Posted by: JoeSmith666 ( )
Date: March 01, 2021 09:47PM

Lamanite wards.

Mexican wards.

Asian wards.

Separate... but equal?

Date: March 02, 2021 07:36PM

He's fooling himself. And now he's being used as a token. "See our black mission president? We've NEVER been racist!"

Date: March 02, 2021 10:53PM

cludgie Wrote:
> He's fooling himself. And now he's being used as a
> token. "See our black mission president? We've
> NEVER been racist!"

I had a Bishop who used that logic to dismiss my serious problem with racism in Mormon scriptures,”If the gospel is so racist then why are there so many blacks joining in Africa? Why don’t the black families in our ward have a problem with it?”

I said, “Have you spoken to any of them about racism in Mormon scriptures?”

He claimed he had. I told him that they were all good friends of mine and that they all have problem with the racism in Mormon scriptures, which is inexcusable.

They got a call from the Stake President, who warned them against speaking with me and not to expect any kind of an apology for racism, since it was divinely inspired and who are we to question God?
They all left the church after I resigned.
And I became the black sheep in my own community.
I felt like I was leaving the Mob.
I am still friends with all of those ExMos, and we are like family still.

Date: March 04, 2021 02:26PM

///"I had a Bishop who used that logic to dismiss my serious problem with racism in Mormon scriptures,”If the gospel is so racist then why are there so many blacks joining in Africa? Why don’t the black families in our ward have a problem with it?”///

Why are they joining in Africa? 1.) The mission presidents forbid missionaries from talking with members about the old ban on the priesthood. 2.) Most Africans join and re-join religions all the time. They are extremely religious (read: "superstitious"), and all they need is an invite to join your church, and they do it. 3.) I've always found Africans (at least the Congolese) to be really sweetly religious, and are keen to obey the commandments, except for those commandments that somehow are not welcome in their culture. That's why many African Mormons will continue to have sex outside their marriages, and continue to purchase "fetishes" from the local traditional medicine man/shaman/crone/whatever. 4.) Most sub-Saharan Africans, and most indigenous Africans, are, not surprisingly, bereft of the Internet, or even good educations. It's not like they can get on the Internet and read all the facts about the church.

Date: March 04, 2021 02:49PM

Yeah, all that AND the fact they're NOT experiencing incredible growth in Africa.

318,947 Mormons in Africa (if you believe the #'s the CULT published)
1,216,000,000 Africans
=0.03% of Africans after over 150 years of missionary work there.
By their fruits shall ye know them.

https://newsroom.churchofjesuschrist.org/article/africa-fact-sheet

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Church_of_Jesus_Christ_of_Latter-day_Saints_in_South_Africa

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: March 04, 2021 02:55PM

My heavens.

If there are two members and you get another convert, the church is growing 50% a year. The church in Africa is indeed growing fast.

Date: March 04, 2021 05:52PM

So one MORmON in Africa for every 3,333 Africans.
And if retention rates in Africa are anything like they are in the rest of the world, cut that number by 2/3, so one active MORmON/10,000 Africans.
And if those Africans were made aware of the fact that MORmON scriptures were racist/White Supremacist AF, they’d probably find the exit like we did.
Unless they are poverty stricken and desperate for assimilating into the wealthiest CULT in the world, in hopes of getting a leg up in the world.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2021 05:53PM by schrodingerscat.

Posted by: Iwillneverevertell ( )
Date: March 02, 2021 09:17PM

They have a black mission president now in New Orleans!?????! When I was on my mission in the mid-70's in the Louisiana, Baton Rouge Mission and I was in New Orleans...We were FORBIDDEN from tracting out ANY blacks. If we did, and they answered their doors, we had to pretend to be taking some stupid survey. ( THIS drover us missionaries NUTS...) I am so stinkin' PROUD that they now have a black mission president!!! ( Even if I don't agree with one darn thing about the church any more.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: March 02, 2021 09:24PM

Likewise in Mexico, in the mid-60s.

So missionaries are lifesavers, rowing in the vast sea, trying to save people.

"Get in our boat! Come, all ye children of ghawd! Get in our boat! Everyone is welcome! Please, save yourselves; climb in!!"

"Oh, hello... Uh, this is awkward... So, how are things going, sir? Nice day, huh? How 'bout them Dodgers! Well, gotta be moving along. Enjoy the water!"

Date: March 02, 2021 10:38PM

Iwillneverevertell Wrote:
> They have a black mission president now in New
> Orleans!?????!
Yes and his wife is a NASA Engineer who worked on the most recent Mars Rover that just landed on Mars, but she’s still not worthy to hold her own baby while it is blessed by penisholders.

Date: March 03, 2021 02:13AM

Man, oh, man!

You make the mormon church sound TERRIBLE!!!

How is it even hanging on in the face of your onslaught!!!

I wish I was still in so that I could quit, and tell them it was because of you!

... so blessed ...

Date: March 03, 2021 11:28AM

It doesn’t need any help from me with 1% black population and plummeting!
Pretty soon the only MORmONs left will be Lilly white and delightsome.

Date: March 04, 2021 08:15PM

> It doesn’t need any help from me

This may come across as complex, but at heart it's simple:

My quote of you reflects your opinion as to the future of the mormon church and its downward spiral. IOW, the church is swirling the drain...

So why are you the most vehement poster on RfM? Why are you so boisterous in your condemnations of the church, on a board that is composed of people who are united in their opposition to the church and what it has done, does, and will do? How is it that someone could line up, what was it, 11 of your posts on page one? I know you had 9 on the front page recently, on your own. Are you ... proud of that?

Why are you such a screeching presence here, a board that agrees with you on that issue? Why nag the crap out of us, much to some people's annoyance?

Sure, preach your "Tao/Tyson/Einstein/Harris/Maher-but I'm not an atheist" stuff all you want, but at least ease up on proving to us that the church is not true.

Date: March 04, 2021 09:59PM

I mostly post, not for those of you who agree with me, but for newcomers, people like my kids, and nieces and nephews, and grandkids, who are a lot like I was 20 years ago, when I came here as a Mormon looking to refute the claims of Anti-Mormons.
People who are still in the church and maybe living like I was, under oppression of a religion that had me and my family held captive, due to family ties. People who look the other way when they hear "Evil speaking of the Lord's Anointed" because they swore an oath in the temple to slit their throats.
And after listening to their arguments and carefully considering their criticisms of the church I once loved, it became clear to me that I could no longer just ignore the racism, sexism, homophobia and abuse that's still alive and well in the church, because people usually don't talk about those things in polite company.
Since we're not in polite company here, we can talk about those things and hopefully resolve them for ourselves and help others to reconcile their experience with the CULT, intellectually at least.
After listening to those people here and elsewhere on the internet, talk about the problems with the bigoted institution we inherited, there were certain things I couldn't defend in good faith anymore, like the racism, which was enough for me to following the logic to where it led, straight out the door of the abusive CULT we were born into, for better or for worse. I think it was for worse and the church does a hell of a lot more damage than good. I just don't want it doing damage to the next generation, which is why I speak up. Not for old farts like me.

Date: March 05, 2021 01:11AM

> I mostly post, not for
> those of you who agree
> with me, but for newcomers

So you figure a significant percentage of newcomers don't already agree with you, so you blast away at them... Well, we know that most serving missionaries don't agree with you, and how did blasting away at them with your chat sessions work out?

I don't think there's anyone else like you! It's a rarity, as far as I've seen, to have a believer come here to attempt to defend the church.

> Since we're not in polite
> company here, we can talk
> about those things and
> hopefully resolve them for
> ourselves and help others
> to reconcile their experience
> with the CULT, intellectually
> at least.

Well, that's a nice hope!

But at the very least, there's always the opportunity to learn elemental truths:

"God is the equals in E=mc2

"There's a reason Energy equals Mass sped up faster than the speed of light, and that Energy slowed down by the speed of light squared equals mass, because we live in a super symmetrical universe, where Dark Energy + Dark Matter = Lambda, the cosmological constant
= 1
in this universe
with a singularity at its center
A black hole
Continually spinning, radiating energy
equal to the mass it attracts
On its way to the Great Attractor
in a continual, eternal cycle of destruction and creation"

a simple question: you posit a 'singularity' at the center of this universe ... and they say that this object at the center of the universe is on its way to the Great Attractor...?

And just because I like puzzles, what is 'The Reason' "...energy equals mass sped up faster than the speed of light... blah, blah, blah..."?

Why?

And did someone tell you this reason, did you puzzle it out on your own, or is it just as plain as that enormous schnoz on Gladys Lott's face? In other words, or you special or can anyone play?

Posted by: Void K. Packer ( )
Date: March 05, 2021 01:18AM

Wait, what? Lot's Wife has am enormous schnoz?!

Date: March 05, 2021 01:24AM

See?

There are important truths to be learned here, but The Cat is content to play in the corner with an equal sign that just happens to be ghawd.

And only we here on RfM get to share, whereas I will broadcast the glad(ys) tidings regarding the Lott shnoz to all who will partake.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/2021 01:25AM by elderolddog.

Date: March 05, 2021 01:28AM

Also, Cat, you're up to 15 threads on the first page. I've only been posting here for 7 years, so maybe that's not an all-time record.

Maybe someone can post that record? If it's you, great. If it's not, there's always tomorrow.

Posted by: Void K. Packer ( )
Date: March 05, 2021 01:44AM

<shrug> scat is irrelevant. He's either the low watt bulb he presents, or is a troll that CZ and mods tolerate. Whatever. Back to Lot's Wife's schnoz... On a scale of 0-10, I wonder how bad the idea of offering my voluntary abject servitude to her would be. I estimate 9.3, but is that too low, EOD?

Date: March 05, 2021 01:49AM

No good can come of worshipping the GLS.

I foresee incandescence, followed by freefall and then the inevitable conclusion that gravity is a constant.

But what do I know? I once thought polygamy might be fun. ...1976...

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: March 05, 2021 01:58AM

Void K. Packer Wrote:
> Wait, what? Lot's Wife has am enormous schnoz?!

Why do you think I'm always telling Jesus, "I'll get you, my pretty!"

It ain't because he is pretty!

https://www.freesoundslibrary.com/witch-cackle-sound/

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.