Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: March 08, 2021 04:16PM

https://www.google.com/amp/s/news.yahoo.com/amphtml/fascism-glenn-beck-absolute-meltdown-175310868.html

“They are banning Dr. Seuss books,” Glenn Beck growled. “How much more do you need to see before all of America wakes up and says, ‘This is fascism!’ This is fascism! You don’t destroy books!” (The books, of course, have not been banned. The publisher is just not going to print any new versions of the six specific books, similar to when record labels take albums out of print or, say, Disney puts select films back in the “vault.”)

“What is wrong with us, America?” Beck continued to rant. “Go out and buy those books today. Find out if you can get them. Buy Mr. and Mrs. Potato Head because it's the end of an era. It is the end of freedom in America!”

Prior to the Dr. Seuss kerfuffle, conservatives lost their collective minds over Mr. Potato Head, falsely believing that Hasbro was getting rid of the gender identities of the brand. The toy company, instead, is just renaming the overall brand Potato Head, while Mr. and Mrs. Potato Head dolls will remain available.

Beck, who has long compared progressives to Nazis, then ominously warned that soon Americans will be “bullied to the point where you better not have that book.”

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 08, 2021 04:19PM

Yes, books are taken out of circulation all the time. Maybe they are not selling, or the content is dated for whatever reason. Teachers and librarians are always culling their bookshelves. Nothing to see here.

Date: March 08, 2021 04:29PM

It’s not the ‘Cult of Wokeness’ burning books and Mr. Potatohead, it’s the manufacturers who decided it was best to discontinue publishing racist depictions of Africans and Asians, which is probably just out of greed, due to wanting to sell books to Africans and Asians, instead of alienating two entire continents full of potential customers.

Date: March 08, 2021 04:45PM

Honestly, there are tons of older books that become unsuitable for that and other reasons. Every year when I was in the classroom, I would sort through my classroom library at the beginning of the year. It wasn't just Dr. Seuss. A number of books go in the bin for a variety of reasons. Librarians do the same thing. Add some books, take some away.

I still believe that Dr. Seuss is incredible for young children, especially beginning readers who are struggling. When I taught second grade, my weakest readers *loved* Dr. Seuss. He was one of the "most stolen" authors from my classroom library (books would be surreptitiously tucked into backpacks, never to return.) I'm not about to cancel an author who has had a long, consistent record of getting kids to read.

Date: March 08, 2021 08:58PM

Everybody did.
Maybe they just finally empathized with the Asians and Africans who looked at those stereotypical negative depictions of them in famous children’s books and decided to romove them to avoid getting dragged all over the internet and in media.
Now they’re getting dragged by Right Wing Media/ real racists/fascists, like this MORmON.

Date: March 09, 2021 12:03AM

No one in the general public even noticed until the announcement was made. Honestly, I think the offensive books should have just been quietly removed.

The "And to Think I Saw it on Mulberry Street" book was first published in 1937. Seriously, how many children's books from 1937 have stood the test of time?

Posted by: Cold-Dodger ( )
Date: March 10, 2021 01:10AM

Can confirm. The black guy, what's his face.. just kidding, John Boyega's portrayal in the original Star Wars Force Awakens poster was marginalized quite literally for Chinese audiences.

https://screencrush.com/star-wars-chinese-poster-john-boyega/

The only reason is that, uh, China is really racist. I mean, they're butchering Uyghurs for medical parts and colonizing Tibet out of existence as we speak -- does this surpise anybody? And what are our American corporations doing to fight this intolerance and promote the values of diversity that they love oh so much to say they support here at home? Well, actually, they're cozzying up to it in a tepidly assenting sort of way to avoid alienating Chinese audiences, which is a massive market. You don't just insult the sensibilities of 1.2 billion people when you could be taking their money. This isn't the only example from Hollywood either, or the only American industry.

We must consider that we only got our corporations to sing this way by threatening their bottom lines with boycotts. So, at least here at home, there's no risk of reversion, but... they don't care. They are soulless corporations that will go whichever way the wind is blowing if they get to keep profiting. Imagine how easy it would be for them to swing the other way if fascist sentiments grabbed power in a big way and drove the opposition underground.

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: March 09, 2021 01:07AM

"They" are not banning the books. Mr Geisel's estate has chosen to not publish them any more.

There is no governmental involvement. There is no directive for the books to be removed from shelves. I guarantee that there are no armed jackbooted thugs coming to break down your doors to confiscate your books. But there were armed jackbooted thugs who stormed their way into the United States capitol building. So, Mr Beck, what were you saying about fascists?

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: March 09, 2021 01:16AM

Glenn Beck is another manifestation of the high correlation between right-wing conspiracy theorists and stupidity. It is not, nod to caffiend, a 100% correlation but it is quite high.

You are right on all counts. I would add that I did not hear the rightists complain when publishers decided for business reasons to stop printing new editions of the Catcher in the Rye or Slaughterhouse Five or the Color Purple. Dr. Seuss is just a convenient target, an easy way to protest "cancel culture" that somehow doesn't apply to books the right dislikes.

The apparent paradox disappears if one recognizes that the unifying force in right-wing politics is the sense of victimhood. Anything contrary to their interests is "cancel culture," oppression.

Pity the poor rich white man.

Posted by: alsd ( )
Date: March 09, 2021 09:59AM

Lot's Wife Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Glenn Beck is another manifestation of the high
> correlation between right-wing conspiracy
> theorists and stupidity. It is not, nod to
> caffiend, a 100% correlation but it is quite
> high.
>
> You are right on all counts. I would add that I
> did not hear the rightists complain when
> publishers decided for business reasons to stop
> printing new editions of the Catcher in the Rye or
> Slaughterhouse Five or the Color Purple. Dr.
> Seuss is just a convenient target, an easy way to
> protest "cancel culture" that somehow doesn't
> apply to books the right dislikes.
>
> The apparent paradox disappears if one recognizes
> that the unifying force in right-wing politics is
> the sense of victimhood. Anything contrary to
> their interests is "cancel culture," oppression.
>
> Pity the poor rich white man.

The right invented cancel culture. They are perfectly happy with cancel culture, but only when they are the ones applying it.

Posted by: Dr. No ( )
Date: March 13, 2021 11:01PM

Lot's Wife Wrote:
> . . . the unifying force in right-wing politics is
> the sense of victimhood. Anything contrary to
> their interests is "cancel culture," oppression.
===============================

Guess when things aren't working out in accordance with Belief, and can't evolve because can't think, all that's left is hysteria

It's entertaining. :-D

Date: March 13, 2021 11:06PM

When not apocalyptic, yes, it's entertaining.

Posted by: Dr. No ( )
Date: March 13, 2021 11:09PM

Lot's Wife Wrote:
> When not apocalyptic, yes, it's entertaining.
===============================

Apoplexy is the best part! :-D

Posted by: Kentish ( )
Date: March 10, 2021 08:54AM

If it is offensive to call a Japanese by a shortened name why is it not offensive when people refer to me as a Brit? Just asking.

Date: March 10, 2021 12:09PM

Brit isn’t a pejorative epithet. Jap is.

Pejorative: A pejorative or slur is a word expressing a negative connotation, a low opinion, or a lack of respect toward someone or something. It is also used to express criticism, hostility, or disregard.

Often in war we come up with pejorative slurs to dehumanize our enemies in order to justify killing them or imprisoning them in concentration camps, like we did to Americans of Japanese ancestry, even if their sons were off killing Nazis in Europe for the country treating their parents like enemies.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: March 13, 2021 08:02PM

"They" are NOT banning Seuss books. The organization banning is not the government, but Dr. Seuss Enterprises, the organization that owns the copyright. It was their call.

Date: March 13, 2021 08:27PM

And deciding not to publish something is not "banning," for those books already exist in libraries and elsewhere.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: March 13, 2021 08:30PM

Beck is an ignorant demagogue.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: March 14, 2021 12:12PM

"Glenn Beck has Nazi Tourette's Syndrome."

Posted by: Emma1wife ( )
Date: March 14, 2021 12:10AM

Who gives a flying F?!

Date: March 14, 2021 04:00PM

Emma1wife Wrote:
> Who gives a flying F?!
Fans of irony.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.