Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: kimball ( )
Date: July 06, 2011 03:36PM

I spent the 4th-of-July weekend in Utah. It was my first time being there in about 2 years, and the first time since realizing that TSCC is a farce. I must say it was an eye-opening experience.

The first day I drove down from Logan to Provo, cutting right through the heart of mormon territory. I passed a billboard that read "In the Beginning God Created...", and then smaller off to the side a diagram of evolution with the words "Darwin" and "Evolution" and big red X crossing them out. Later I saw a billboard advertising temple square, trying to get people to come see the pointy building. It wasn't so bad, though. For every religious billboard there were three advertising breast augmentation, keeping Utah breasts firm. The best was some BYU billboard followed by one for an adult novelty store (that board has been there for years).

So I reached my old alma mater, BYU, and went on to campus to see what has changed. I first entered the Joseph Smith building because I had to use the restroom, and I was greeted right away by some fascinating window displays. My favorite display was the little golden figurine replicas with clearly defined penises used to show proof that ancient americans worked with gold. All I had was my phone for a camera, so I took some pictures with it. I've posted them on my experimental website for your viewing pleasure:

http://www.fullerconsideration.com/0701011126.jpg
http://www.fullerconsideration.com/0701011126a.jpg

There was also a description of the history of the origin of writing systems in the Americas, a picture of a modern native american woman burning a sacrifice, a (very small) call-out to women in the scriptures, and a memorial to mormons who served in the World Wars.

The part that made me laugh out loud, though, was the dedication prayer of the Joseph Smith statue offered by Henry B. Eyring, graven in metal in the most conspicuous spot in the building:

"Because of what Joseph saw and what began at this moment, the Savior was able, through this great and valiant servant and through others that He sent, to restore power and privilege. That power and privilege allow us, and all who will live, to have the benefit of Jesus Christ's atonement work in our lives."

http://www.fullerconsideration.com/0701011133.jpg

Wow, I never realized that without Joseph Smith, mankind would not have had the benefit of the atonement. Mormons really are special!

So I used the toilet and pretended it was Joseph Smith's grave, then spent the rest of the day hanging out with an old friend. I also drove by the MTC and was surprised to see they had upped security at the entrance with a fancy gate. I guess they must have read my post where I snuck into the MTC as a BYU student, and how it was all-too-easy.

I also went to a fast & testimony meeting on Sunday where my niece was being blessed. The two parts that stood out to me were the kid who said that the saints were "prosecuted in misery" and my MIL weeping as she told the crowd that she didn't want empty empty seats in her family in the CK. She was good, though, and didn't look directly at me.

The craziest thing about the weekend was seeing SLC and BYU, and remembering so vividly how I used to think they were the greatest most magical places in the whole wide world, and how now they just seem average. But the fireworks were good, though, now that Utah has legalized the aerial variety.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: July 06, 2011 08:09PM

Those pics are priceless. So at Sacrament meeting do they say thing like that a lot about how they don't want empty seats in the family in the CK??? OMG. This is the crap mainstream Christians would have their mouths going "Say that again???" And do they want to be with Christ at all or just their family??? Gee Christ must keep track of a zillion families or more. How does he do that?

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: July 06, 2011 10:30PM

It is a spin off of Jesus wanting everyone to go to heaven to be with him. He doesn't want anyone left out. You know, we are all God's children: one family, etc. Christians will often say they are sad to think of someone not saved who won't be included.

Mormons just take it one step further and like to use the word family a bit more. In Sacrament meeting they might say Christ wants us all to be with him and that we would be sad if some of our family wasn't there.

If God keeps track of everyone and each sparrow's fall, why wouldn't he be able to keep track of families that Mormons believe bond them together in heaven when they are living with God? Christians often express the desire to be with loved ones after death. Does that mean they don't want to be with Jesus?

Posted by: lostinutah ( )
Date: July 06, 2011 08:14PM

OT, I know, but I have to tell the story...

I spent my 4th in Steamboat Springs, Colorado, where they advertise their fireworks display as being the best in Colorado.

It lasted 16 minutes. It was truly amazing. Some of the fireworks accidentally caught the others on fire and it was an amazing display of chaos, craziness, and terror. I'll probably never see another like it. :)

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: July 06, 2011 10:21PM

One thing I noticed on your pictures was that the replicas were "gold colored" which means to me the originals they were modeled after probably weren't gold...or even metal? Who knows what the signs were supposed to mean.

Are they deceptive enough to make "gold colored" replicas and put them on display to give the impression that they might relate to BoM stuff? Maybe, but I figure we shouldn't assign to malicious deception that which can be explained by sheer stupidity. ;-)

That is supposed to be an academic setting in their minds. Hahaha.

It is eye opening to cruise around zion after wising up. There is so much laughable crap being lapped up by the believers. It's like Fantasy Land at DisneyReligion World.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: July 06, 2011 10:44PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mwpqu36kK4U

(includes barely readable lyrics)

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: July 07, 2011 01:50AM

In order to have a replica doesn't there need to be an original ?

How about a photo or something of the "original" ?

Posted by: bingoe4 ( )
Date: July 07, 2011 02:01AM

A photo of the original or maybe even...the original would be nice. What did they say these were pertaining to? Didn't everybody know and accept that the ancient Americans had gold. Isn't that why the Spanish conquered them hundreds of years ago?

Posted by: kimball ( )
Date: July 07, 2011 01:59PM

My thoughts exactly.

Of other interest, and I lost the picture of it (which I'm bummed about), was a gold "plate" with engraved drawings on it. It was a big clunky thing with just some large figures on it. I remember thinking that if the whole Book of Mormon was written like that, it would probably weigh about 10,000 pounds

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.