Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: March 09, 2021 08:43PM

Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better. - Albert Einstein

What do you see when you look as deeply as this?

https://www.scientificamerican.com/video/laniakea-our-home-supercluster/

The Great Attractor,
Where we are all headed at 1.4million mph
Not just us on Earth, but the sun and all the planets we can see,
And all the galaxies we can see in the night sky.
The source of Dark Matter?
25% of the universe is pulling all the galaxies together,
Not only is the universe expanding,
All the galaxies in our galactic neighborhood are converging on the same point in space.
Our Milky Way Galaxy will collide with our closest neighbor in 5billion years, the black holes will collide and combine to form a new galaxy.
The biggest explosion in the universe.
Probably what caused the Big Bang.
We had it almost right all along.
There is a singularity at the center of every galaxy
They all are connected with the Great Attractor through “Dark Matter”
The most likely explanation is String Theory, is that there is a 4 dimensional universe inside every black hole. Inside of that a 5,6,7,8,9,10, 11th dimension. And they project Hawking Radiation out in super symmetrical spiral plasma jets, ionized stardust, which forms all kinds of atoms and complex molecules, matter, hydrogen, helium, carbon, and they all combine along the accretion disks that form around every galaxy we have ever seen.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: March 09, 2021 09:35PM

Kori, The Cat, speaking with great emotion and over-the-top grandiosity, but without paragraph breaks, said:

> The Great Attractor,
> Where we are all headed
> at 1.4 million mph
> Not just us on Earth,
> but the sun and all the
> planets we can see,
> And all the galaxies we
> can see in the night sky.

Only it's not quite accurate, there at the end. Not one of us can ID a galaxy in the night sky, without a telescope. And once you bring a telescope into play, you can see galaxies that are NOT in our supercluster, Laniakea. Galaxies not in our supercluster have their own destinies.

And in a tale as old as time, The Milky Way has the hots for Laniakea, but Laniakea has the hots for the Shapley Supercluster and is chasing after it, dragging us along!!

And then hopefully, he'll help us understand this seeming contradiction in terms:

> Not only is the universe
> expanding, All the galaxies
> in our galactic neighborhood
> are converging on the same
> point in space.

Maybe it's to make a "Tiny Bang'?

And then:

> Our Milky Way Galaxy will
> collide with our closest
> neighbor in 5billion years,
> the black holes will collide
> and combine to form a new
> galaxy. The biggest explosion
> in the universe.

Here's what others, similarly situated say: "When (the Milky Way & Andromeda meet), it will make for a pretty sight. On approach, the Andromeda galaxy will warp the band of the Milky Way across our sky. Eventually, the galaxies' cores will merge."

I checked: "merge" is not a synonym for 'the biggest explosion in the universe.'

<sigh> a mother's work is never done.

When I check the topics here, I see 55 threads per page. Of the 110 on the first two pages, The Cat has 24. And that I know of, three were removed from view during the time period. That's 24/110, visible, which converts to 21.8%. Where does Pew Research indicate that falls on the loquacious scale?

Your Friend in Jesus,

Don Quixote

Date: March 09, 2021 11:37PM

Congrats!

Rack one up for The Cat's side!

Date: March 12, 2021 08:15PM

You know, I was going to let you have a victory there, with your little post about NASA saying you could see other galaxies with the naked eye.

But you really can't. At best you see a "fuzzy star", but you simply cannot tell it's a galaxy.

The proof?

The notion of other galaxies existing besides the Milky Way did not come to our awareness until 1924, when Edwin Hubble came up with the proof that the Andromeda is its very own spiral galaxy. Even with the telescopes extant prior to 1924, they couldn't make that determination.

I nominate "EpicFactMangler" as your next screen name.

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: March 13, 2021 01:14AM

>The notion of other galaxies existing besides the Milky Way did not come to our awareness until 1924, when Edwin Hubble came up with the proof that the Andromeda is its very own spiral galaxy.

The proof may not have come unil 1924, but the notion that other galaxies existed outside of the Milky Way predates that.

See the Shapley-Curtis debate
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Debate_(astronomy)

The idea that they existed outside the Milky Way dates back to at least Thomas Wright in 1750 and Immanuel Kant in 1755.
Ernst Opik in 1922 measured the distance to Andromeda suggesting that it was outside of the Milky Way.

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: March 11, 2021 08:19PM

how much OPie earns ~

from its constant click-bait threds ~

it is as follows ~

~\|||/~
~(0o)
~/'o'\~

Tier 1 ~ $5.50 per 1000 unique views

Tier 2 ~ $1.30 per 1000 unique views

Tier 3 ~ $0.25 per 1000 unique views

Tier 4 ~ $0.12 per 1000 unique views

~\|||/~
~(0o)
~/'o'\~

the more exmos click ~

the more scrode licking scat earns ~

better than street bums ~

~\|||/~
~(0o)
~/'o'\~

Posted by: Void K. Packer ( )
Date: March 11, 2021 08:46PM

ziller makes ASCII do things that I never knew were possible.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: March 11, 2021 08:53PM

He does indeed. And he seems to have decided that if Scat can write the same thing infinitely, so too can he.

Goosing the gander, as it were.

Date: March 11, 2021 08:59PM

<scribbles down 'goosing the gander' for future use>

Date: March 11, 2021 09:05PM

Be careful, in some states that'll get you thrown in jail--

--although in liberal jurisdictions it entitles you to free psychotherapy, a lifetime subscription to the San Francisco Journal of Diversity Training, and food stamps!

Date: March 11, 2021 10:00PM

Or don’t look deeply, just keep attacking people personally for no reason if that’s what makes you happy.

Date: March 11, 2021 10:52PM

Sure, scat, I've never looked deeply. I only ground my own telescope mirror at age 12, got a masters in physics and worked as a science lecturer at a planetarium for 5 years because I have my head in the ground. Your credentials are?

Date: March 11, 2021 11:05PM

Scat is a big thinker! He is a modern Nietzsche, doomed to stalk alone and unrecognized great ideas around an Alpine lake with Wagnerian opera resounding from the heavens.

He will never let facts or discipline or consistency get in the way of a great vision! And he knows names, great names; names like Einstein and Hawking, Laotzu and Aurelius, Bill Maher and John Oliver. I defy you to identify someone else with as many scientists and pop stars in his mental rollodex.

Those, Void, are his credentials.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: March 12, 2021 03:47PM

So can we have your liver?

Date: March 12, 2021 04:05PM

I asked what you saw when you watched the video I posted.
So far nobody has answered.
Instead nobody watches the video and every response is a personal attack.
Seek help.

Date: March 12, 2021 04:12PM

schrodingerscat Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Seek help.

Haha. Everybody finds you insufferably obnoxious and you think the problem lies with them.

Hah!

Date: March 12, 2021 04:16PM

So, it’s us?

You need to double down!! Until we all become like you, your work here will never be done. Don’t give up on being the greatest poster RfM has ever known! Please drag us, kicking and screaming, into the excellence that is you!

Frequent critiques of how bad we are help a lot. I knew I was a loser, but I wasn’t sure about the rest. Now I feel better that they’re losers, too.

Seek help? Why should we?

We have you!!

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: March 12, 2021 05:06PM

mebe nobody ~

wants to watch your click-bait vids ~

plz repent OPie ~

(oO)
/||\

(OO)
/||\

(oo)
/||\

(Oo)
/||\

Date: March 12, 2021 05:11PM

^Deliberate, ignorance and blindness
And proud of it!
Wow

Date: March 12, 2021 05:18PM

That's precisely what has us so exercised!

You know nothing about Taoism but continue to preach it. You know nothing about advanced physics but dismiss those who uderstand the field. And in no case do you show a willingness to go beyond talk show hosts and youtube videos.

Your "deliberate ignorance and blindness" is pathetic and yet you imperviously, "proudly," continue to broadcast it.

What's up with that, Scat?

Date: March 12, 2021 07:23PM

Dear The Cat,

"(There are) topic(s) on which you seem to post a lot, usually with some sort of straw man argument in the subject line or as the theme of the post. One of the big problems ... is ... cherry-picking of quotes and references (which have) little utility in logical discourse.

"In the interests of civil discussion, I'd like to ask you to try a different tack in your posts:

"* Please do share your personal experiences and feelings, and tell us the reasons you believe what you do. This is very valuable.

"* Please do not attack others for their beliefs, ascribe motives to them, tell them what they believe, or play definition games with the words they may use to describe themselves. That only starts fights.

"The personal beliefs of Neil deGrasse Tyson and other famous people are important for them, but they are not important for RfM.

"Arguing with Mormons, especially missionaries, is unlikely to bear any sort of fruit. They speak from a position of belief, rather than a position of education and rational discourse. Trying to get them to admit damaging things about the church will neither help your position nor change their opinion. They have too many cult-ingrained thought-stopping techniques to be persuaded by your argumentation.

"Please try what I suggested above when you post here. See if you feel any different."

You never offered a substantive response to this offering.

A bit later in that October, 2018 thread there was appended, by others, this list of your favorite topics, past and present:

1) attacking missionaries
2) JS the cuckolding head of a doomsday cult
3) atheists don't understand other atheists, let me show you...
4) God Particles
5) Min's appendage

I've noted another topic for which you have some fondness: the "Last/Final Straw"

On three occasions you've exclaimed on this topic:

1)

Re: what was the last straw?

The abuse of my <5 y.o. niece, who was raped by a Mormon Penis Holder, who was protected from any consequences whatsoever, to this day, by my Nazi TBM sister, because he was a Mormon and her daughter, my Niece, was just a silly little girl.
The cover up.
The lies, told to protect the Mormon abusers, out of an expressed interest in "protecting the good name of the church" which is far above protecting innocent children in a CULT that brainwashes kids into singing the praises of a gd rapist.
How is singing the praises of Joseph's Myth less immoral than Fundy MORmONS singing the praises of a rapist like Warren Jeffs?
  https://www.exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,2191379,2192629#msg-2192629

2)

What was it that made you say to yourself, "That's it. I'm done!"

For me, it was sitting in a Gospel Doctrine class my cousin was teaching about the Book of Mormon. He wondered aloud why the whole world didn't consider the Book of Mormon the word of God. Then the Stake High Councilman sitting right in front of me spoke up in defense of the Book of Mormon, saying he wondered when its promise would be fulfilled and the Lamanites would accept Mormonism and be turned white and delightsome again.
I looked around the room to see if anybody else was as shocked and offended by this statement as I was and apparently nobody else in the room was at all bothered that this was asked in the 21st Century, long after the racist myths Mormonism was based upon had been debunked by the DNA evidence that proved there was no trace of Semitic DNA in any Native American populations and long after the leaders of the church had changed that obviously white supremacist word from 'white' to 'pure' to make it sound less white supremacist. I just shook my head, realizing I was no longer among my tribe and walked out and vowed never to come back again.
I went to gather up my kids to leave for the last time. As I looked through the window of the primary class, I saw my beautiful Native American daughter singing with the rest of the little kids, "Book of MORmON Stories" and pantomiming "Lamanites" by putting two fingers up over the back of her head.
  https://www.exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,2363345,2363345#msg-2363345

3)

My best friend in life is a Mormon, I wouldn't say a TBM, but pretty much knows everything I know about the church, and more. He's written it all down in chronological order, the polygamy/polyandry, sexual exploitation, abuse, racism, sexism, MMM, BoA, which is the worst part for him.
For me it was the abuse, that I've seen way too much evidence of to deny, that it happened to at least 10 kids I knew, grew up with, by Mormon men, preisthood holders, who were put in positions of power and authority over helpless kids. And they were protected by Mormons. That was ultimately the last straw for me.
  https://www.exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,2346889,2346899#msg-2346899

The point of isolating these three nuggets is to support my contention that you're a bit of a glory-hog, to the point that you don't mind making stuff up.

Coming up with an explanation for your behavior on RfM isn't necessary. ...an interesting inquiry, but unneeded.

Experience tells us that you enjoy the back and forth between the two sides, and that you see yourself as always being the victor. On my part, I try to treat this as I would any malady and am simply looking for a cure.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2021 08:04PM by elderolddog.

Date: March 12, 2021 07:31PM

Washington is a two-party consent state, so those videotaped ambushes were as illegal as they were tasteless.

I don't think he stopped because his judgment matured. I think he stopped because he realized he could end up in jail.

Date: March 12, 2021 07:43PM

Lot's Wife Wrote:
> Washington is a two-party consent state, so those
> videotaped ambushes were as illegal as they were
> tasteless.
>
> I don't think he stopped because his judgment
> matured. I think he stopped because he realized
> he could end up in jail.

Every day the UPS guy comes to my door and my Ring Doorbell records him I'm violating the same law. And every time I walk past a hidden camera in a store, they're breaking the law.
If it's not enforced, it's a meaningless law.

Date: March 12, 2021 07:46PM

You'd better read the law. None of your examples violate it. But your childish ambushes did--and you bet you can be prosecuted for that.

But hey, get back to work and learn it the hard way.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2021 07:48PM by Lot's Wife.

Date: March 12, 2021 08:05PM

There is no expectation of privacy in a public place, like on a public street, which is where those videos were recorded. Besides which, every time anybody comes to my door they get recorded and any conversation we have gets recorded, automatically. I'm not expecting the police to come arrest me for having a Ring Doorbell.
Cops actually love the Ring doorbells, which help them easily solve crimes.
https://www.king5.com/article/news/local/more-police-departments-join-program-that-allows-residents-to-share-security-footage/281-584c7034-bc93-442b-b395-6bc7025de543

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2021 08:09PM by schrodingerscat.

Date: March 12, 2021 08:08PM

Scat, that is exactly what I just said. In my words, "none of your examples violate" the law. Congratulations for taking my sentence and pretending it is yours.

By contrast, secretly recording conversation with a person who has not consented is illegal and courts act on that all the time. I'd look it up--I have looked it up--and provide the evidence but you'd just pretend that you knew it all along.

And besides, we both know you only read Youtube and TV.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2021 08:09PM by Lot's Wife.

Date: March 12, 2021 08:53PM

Excellent edit to add a source! I'm impressed!!

But what's your point? As I noted above, "'none of your examples violate' the law." So yes, I am aware that doorbell cameras are legal.

That does not--try to keep up--mean a surreptitious recording by a voyeur like you is legal. Quite the contrary: Read sections 1, 1(a), and 1(b). There is no exception for a public place.

https://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9.73.030

I repeat: what you did was as illegal as it was tasteless.

Date: March 13, 2021 12:13AM

I'm in good company.
You probably thought the same thing about Religulous.
And I know you say the same thing about Bill Maher.
I happen to like the guy, for the most part. He's hillarious and has great conversation with the whole spectrum of people, on a comedy show, where everybody is allowed to say 'fuck' if they want and they don't have people with sticks up their asses telling them, "Keep it classy"

Date: March 13, 2021 01:46AM

I say "stay classy," Scat, when you call me a "whore" or "a piece of shit."

Does Bill Maher call people "whore" or "piece of shit?" I don't think so, and his standard is not particularly high.

So stay classy, Scat. You're in a league of your own.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2021 02:12AM by Lot's Wife.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: March 13, 2021 02:07AM

Nude is Natural.

Posted by: ookami ( )
Date: March 13, 2021 04:30PM

Guy, I grew up camping in Idaho and been out at sea. I've been looking into nature for years and the only answer the universe ever gave me was silence. Why? Because nature and the universe don't give a crap.

They're still pretty at times, though.

Date: March 13, 2021 05:36PM

I guess that is where we disagree, nature has plenty to say, to teach us, if we care enough to look deeply at it, we can recognize fractal patterns, complex structures, ingenious geometric designs that are created naturally in molecules, viruses. I don’t know that the universe is indifferent towards us, but it certainly favors life, and consciousness, otherwise we wouldn’t exist and neither would anything but chaos for that matter.

Date: March 13, 2021 05:42PM

schrodingerscat Wrote:
> [The universe] certainly favors
> life, and consciousness, otherwise we wouldn’t
> exist and neither would anything but chaos for
> that matter.

There are few better examples of illogic than that sentence.

Nuclear bombs exist; genocide exists; pandemics exist, so you are saying that the universe "favors" those things.

But you know what really exists in nature? The overwhelming presence of inertia, of entrophy, of decay and death. And yet you insist on ignoring that and pretending that nature favors the opposite.

That's not reason speaking there: it's religious faith.

Date: March 14, 2021 04:06PM

Reason tells me I am alive and conscious, despite all the destructive forces in the universe.
Which means to me Einstein was half right when he said, “God does not play dice with the universe”.
God (nature) does play dice with the universe, but the dice are loaded in favor of matter, in lieu of anti-matter, cosmos in lieu of chaos.

Date: March 14, 2021 04:48PM

Waiter. . .

Waiter!

Posted by: Already a monster ( )
Date: March 15, 2021 11:46AM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.