Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Phantom Shadow ( )
Date: March 12, 2021 03:01PM

I feel sad about the mural announcement.

December 1964. SLC temple was closed for remodeling. I had a mission call. One Saturday morning my parents, along with a close friend who was a member of the bishopric and his wife, and I drove drove south from SLC on a cold, foggy, dark morning to Manti for my endowments. We had to be there by a certain time, but my Dad couldn't drive fast through the fog until we started following a milk truck that was whipping along--the drive knew the road well.

I had read books that included descriptions of the temple ceremony--one was about BY's unhappy wife who divorced him. I knew enough to know what to expect and my Mom washed and ironed their temple clothing.

I don't remember much, but those murals I do remember! I remember walking to the terrestrial room--sun was out--beautiful light. I hope to find photos of it somewhere.

At the end in the celestial room my Mom giggled and said to me, "Don't the men look funny in those hats?"

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: March 12, 2021 03:04PM

In a single week the censors have gone from canceling Dr. Seuss to wiping out the temple murals. Tomorrow it'll be something truly important, like South Park.

Date: March 12, 2021 03:43PM

If only they could wipe out Mormon history so easily.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: March 12, 2021 04:04PM

They know that as things exist now, they can’t hide their history. But they are convinced they can get their faithful to ignore that history.

“Pay no attention to the facts behind the curtain!”

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: March 12, 2021 03:46PM

I got my endowments at the SLC in 69 and loved the murals. They were the saving grace. Something to look at while you tuned the ceremony out--especially when we got to the lone and dreary world and it turned from weird and childish to like a Sacrament Meeting.

When we were at the LTM (MTC?) they took us to the Manti temple for the day so I got to see those murals too. Beautiful.

The murals. The only thing they got right. So, of course they have to go.

Had to laugh. Yeah the men looked silly, but, did your mother ever look in the mirror at herself? :)

Date: March 12, 2021 04:24PM

Ha! Good question. Still remember the shock when the temple workers in the Bride's room wouldn't let me put on my own arm coverings. Fake sleeves? and the top of the neck covering. Of course, nobody could see the dress anyway what with the robe etc.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: March 12, 2021 04:19PM

Love the Manti murals. They are getting rid of them? Is there a post with a link?

Date: March 12, 2021 04:21PM

https://www.sltrib.com/religion/2021/03/12/lds-church-removes/

Peggy Fletcher Stack's article about SLC and Manti murals.

Posted by: JoeSmith666 ( )
Date: March 12, 2021 07:08PM

Removing the mural will allow leadership to deny there were ever dinosaurs painted on them. A lot like Satan no longer having any signs of his Powers and Priesthoods on his Apron.

Out of sight, out of mind.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.