Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: pollythinks ( )
Date: March 25, 2021 06:29PM

I'll begin with my father in law, who was a wonderfully kind and intelligent and gentle man, who read the dictionary to gain knowledge of the origin of words. He was also an agnostic.

After his death, he came to me in a vision to tell me that he was doing just fine, and to let me know that he had erred when he told me he was an agnostic. When he talked with me, he was sitting on a hill with a vast green lawn before him, with his wife (my mother-in-law) standing on the grass below him, waiting for him to summon her to come up to him--which he refused to do (she often wasn't very kind to him when they were alive).

. I believe I may have told you part of these stories before, plus the story regarding my own father--who wasn't faithful to my mother--who refused to join with him when he tried to get her to come to him her in their after-life. In the background, several men surrounded her, who appeared to be happy to have a wonderful companion such as she.

. I was walking down my hallway to the bathroom, when I noticed a circle of women were seated on chairs, happily chatting with each other in my guest bedroom, and who were just as surprised to see me, as I was to see them. I told them I knew they meant no harm, but that they were scaring the heck out of me, whereupon they immediately disappeared.

. My husband was sitting in his favor-et rocking chair, reading a book. Suddenly his cousin "Beth" appeared above his head, which reached the ceiling. She told me that she had come to see him, and to let him know that she was "OK". She also told me that she had tried to reach him, but couldn't, so she talked to me instead, and for me to provide this information to him. When I did, he couldn't have cared less. He was annoyed with her, because she always stole the limelight when we were talking with each other around the dinner table at his mother's apartment.

As for me, his mother couldn't have cared less that I was present--in spirit only, not in words. Once, the anointed Beth mentioned that I was doing such a wonderful job in my political arena.

My mother-in-law sat stunned, and looked at me like she had never seen me before, and how come a "no-body" like me be successful or important in the political world.

Nevertheless, she continued to ignore me at the table. :)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: March 25, 2021 06:38PM

If your father in law erred by being agnostic, which god(s) should he have acknowledged?

Posted by: poly thinks ( )
Date: March 25, 2021 06:46PM

IMO, The one and only.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: March 25, 2021 06:48PM

Yeah, but which one?

I don't think an accurate count exists of how many ghawds have had this claim made about them.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: March 25, 2021 06:54PM

I'm fascinated by the LDS concept (or practice) of promptings, prophesy, revelation, etc., especially contact with/from deceased family and loved ones. Nothing in you post (so far) is suggestive of LDS imagery, doctrine/beliefs, or references.

I'm also curious if you've had other contacts with other people who passed on. You seem to accept these as authentic. Have you considered other supernatural and/or temporal/psychological explanations?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2021 06:55PM by caffiend.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: March 25, 2021 07:30PM

The dead are a part of our psyches as much or perhaps more when they are dead as they were when they were living. It is part of our humanity to hear and see the dead. We invented the soul to explain how we keep others as a part of our subconscious self as well as to give us hopes that we too will live longer than our bodies do.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: March 25, 2021 07:32PM

Well stated.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: March 25, 2021 08:25PM

I'll play!

My grandmother told me that one day when I was about three years of age she showed me an old family photo album. She said I pointed to many of the people and told her their names. Problem was all of the people were long dead and buried. The kicker...I pointed to her grandfather and said he was the man that brought me to earth.

A few years later, and this I remember somewhat, I was visiting the same grandmother who was ill. Family members said I pointed to a corner of the ceiling and screamed at something unseen, to go away and leave my grandmother alone.

My son when he was about three told me that before coming to earth he decided to visit a star he thought was interesting. He said even though he traveled very fast and it only seemed like a little time passed. When he got back to earth a long long time had passed.

The kicker.... When I entered the celestial room for the first time, I fully expected to find my deceased mother waiting to greet me. When I asked my father why she wasn't there, he simply said things didn't work that way. So I in too loud a voice said. "Then why in the hell did I just go through all that crap?"

All the other experiences are too sacred to share.

Posted by: logged out today ( )
Date: March 25, 2021 08:48PM

Thread should be called "the dead who want to have nothing to do with each other." Many ghosts say that the mormons can shove their eternal families.

Still can't figure out why ghosts wear clothes. Can ghost cops bust them and haul them off to ghost jail for showing too much outer ectoplasm?

Posted by: Ain’t sayin’ ( )
Date: March 25, 2021 11:22PM

DH and I were driving home one day and I saw an old exBF sitting on the dash of our car. I asked DH if he saw him, too. He didn’t. I said we better call and see if he’s Ok. I thought the whole thing was extraordinary because exBF was 6’5”, and weighed 300 lbs; and it must have taken some real doing to get in the car and sit on the dash.

After we got home, DH walked in with the newspaper that reported exBF had died.

Posted by: heartbroken ( )
Date: March 26, 2021 12:09AM

I rarely have dreams about my mother who died many years ago, but on election night last year I dreamed that she visited me and said, "I'm sorry, but Trump won the election." When I woke up the next morning I was really depressed because I thought for sure Trump would be our president for another 4 years.

When the counting and recounting of the election votes went on and on I told friends about my dream. I told them what my dead mom said to me about Trump winning the election.

When Biden was finally declared the new president I was so relieved to see the last of Trump but also very sad because it meant that my mom didn't really visit me in my dream to give me a message. I think that dreams are nothing more than dreams.

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: March 26, 2021 12:25AM

You're Mother was probably telling the truth.......

Posted by: heartbroken ( )
Date: March 26, 2021 12:30AM

I knew someone would say that, LOL

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: March 27, 2021 10:31AM

When people need validation that their religion or views are right, or simply might need to feel special, ghosts who agree with them might show up in their minds.

They often jump to the ghost explanation without ever ruling out the most obvious explanations because it makes a good story and that special validation feels good. The brain often interprets anything we see to fit what we want to see.

Posted by: eternal1 ( )
Date: March 27, 2021 10:45AM

^^ this

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: March 27, 2021 04:59PM

^^This^2

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: March 27, 2021 10:58AM

I've had dreams featuring my late parents. Usually they feature Mom happy to be free of Dad, and Dad upset the afterlife is nothing like he believed and all his devotion to Mormonism had been pointless.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.