Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: March 26, 2021 05:01PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: March 26, 2021 05:42PM

There's a paywall. Maybe you could provide a summary.

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: March 26, 2021 08:20PM

Basically, there is a segment of students, alumni, and orthodox members who think BYU is losing its way on LGBTQ, race, religious and political issues. They point to things like the rewording of the honor code concerning homosexual expressions of affection on campus, talks and actions concerning race relations, liberal teaching by some professors and such.

examples are the spray painting of the Brigham Young statue with slogans calling him a racist and wanting some buildings' names changed that have former slave owner's names now.

The rainbow color lighting of Y mountain a while back got more than a few folks riled up.

Some students don't feel comfortable expressing their liberal views in classes and self-censor.

On the other hand, religion professors will now be picked more for their CES and religion background than from educational training or degrees.

So, there is a feeling that maybe BYU is slowly becoming a little bit more diverse in its student body's attitudes and it is bothering the old guard.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2021 08:21PM by gemini.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: March 26, 2021 06:10PM

I think it is quite fair to compare mormon-racism-against-the-Blacks and mormon 'whatever-it-ism' against-non-heterosexuals, don't you?

And when you make the comparison, what is one absolutely unavoidable speculation that really slaps the church right up-side the head?

Prior to say, the mid-1050s, was there any doubt in the corporate church mindset that the Blacks had been denied the priesthood and all its blessing via a commandment from ghawd?

And isn't that their current mindset with regard to "one man + one woman" comparable to the Black issue prior to the mid-1950s?
(which begs the question, what the hell happened to the Great & Everlasting Covenant?)

So why shouldn't there be an expectation that the church will eventually do the right thing? Well, two right things: give women the priesthood and allow same-sex marriage and polygamous marriage.

(In "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress" author Robert A. Heinlein came up with "line marriage". Interesting notion...

For those with time on their hands, here's a fairly impartial explanation of Heinlein's idea:

"But I will first give a short impression of Heinlein’s concept of line marriage in The moon is a harsh mistress. In this novel the Moon is colonized by humans, the Lunar government is set up and run by the United Nations, while Lunar society is highly anarchistic. The primary purpose of the Lunar government is to ensure the delivery of grain to Earth, and the local population is mostly left on their own. All necessities of life are to be bought, even air.

In this harsh environment, it is not surprising that people are seeking cooperation. One of the forms described, and the only one actually discussed in detail, in The Moon is a harsh mistress, is the line marriage. In this kind of marriage, multiple people are married together, and in the course of time, new spouses are allowed to enter the line. In theory, such marriage can survive for generations, even if the original spouses have been dead for centuries. Since the potential durability of a line, all wealth collected by it will be kept together. The particular line described by Heinlein is highly self-sustaining, they produce their own food and recycle their own water.

Since the bond between the spouses, of both sexes, is based on mutual affection the members are ensured of assistance whenever required. Younger spouses take up the care of the elderly, children have virtually no worries about being orphaned."

https://republicoflagrangia.org/2013/01/23/line-marriage-as-an-alternative-of-the-state/

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: March 26, 2021 06:29PM

You are the only person I (remotely) know who knew what was going on in the Mormon church in the 1050s.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: March 26, 2021 07:31PM

“... that this too solid flesh would melt,
Thaw, and resolve itself into a dew!
Or that the Everlasting had not fix'd
His canon 'gainst self-slaughter! O God! O God!
How weary, stale, flat, and unprofitable
Seem to me all the uses of this world!
Fie on't! O fie! 'tis an unweeded garden,
That grows to seed; things rank and gross in nature
Possess it merely. That it should come to this!”... a typo...

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: March 26, 2021 10:33PM

“Gravity is a harsh mistress” - The Tick

Posted by: robinsaintcloud ( )
Date: March 26, 2021 08:47PM

ED and LW, you both funny people

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: March 26, 2021 10:11PM

I know!

I keep telling EOD that looks aren't everything but he continues to worry about it.

Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: March 26, 2021 11:02PM

“Orthodox Mormons”
I thought they were all doing life behind bars fon multiple child rape conviction. Oh wait, that’s just their Dear Leader, whose praises they sing, along with Warren Jeff’s.

Posted by: Tooele Turnaround ( )
Date: March 27, 2021 08:57AM

A lot of people with a white savior complex at BYU. (And I don't mean the Christus Statue.)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.