Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: blindguy ( )
Date: March 30, 2021 04:19PM

I was using one of my favorite Internet radio sites to hear what could be heard in Dodge City, KS, on the radio at this time. The first station I landed on was KSRP-FM (it's at 89.1 kHZ if you happen to be in the area), and I got an earful.

The station, which is owned by a local Baptist church, was airing an interview program between some preacher and a "conservative" commentator. I place the one word in quotations because, for the life of me, though I considered myself in that category at one time, I never went this far.

Taken from the call:

Interviewer: … So companies are developing apps to track those who have tested positive for the Corona virus....
Interviewee: Those companies are going to regret this. This is all going to implode as more people find out about it. The Corona virus is nothing. This is a war between good and evil, and the developers are part of a Satanic cult...

At this point, I started laughing out loud. Then I thought "What the fuck! This is a disease that has killed almost 550,000 people in the U.S., and this interviewee thinks it is nothing? Maybe he should get it himself to see what "nothing" really feels like."

I then switched over to KQSH-FM (it's at 90.7 kHz if you live in the area). This station is owned by La Promesa Foundation, a conservative Catholic group based out of San Antonio, Texas. It is part of a network of conservative Roman Catholic stations that covers Texas, southern Alabama, and western Florida (Pensacola.) Now, I was hearing a priest in my old religious stomping grounds and I figured I should be more at home here.

I wasn't. The priest wasn't talking about nutcase theories of COVID-19 (thankfully), but he was discussing marriage within the Catholic church.

Priest: ...Weddings shouldn't happen on Sundays for that is the Lord's day. Actually, sometimes they do, but they really shouldn't....

"What the fuck again!" I think. "People can get married any goddam day they want. They don't need some blowhard priest telling them when and when not to do so. Yes, I understand the issue about Catholic churches being available to hold wedding ceremonies, but it's a far cry from saying that most Catholic churches won't be available because of their regular Masses (Catholic church services) to saying that people shouldn't get married at all (or nearly at all) on Sundays. Who the fuck is this priest telling people what to do."

Fortunately, there is an NPR affiliate in Dodge City (KONQ) owned by a local community college, and the town has plenty of commercial music outlets. Still, I have to shake my head at the number of people who believe all this crap because they want to. Is it any wonder that we have so many lunatics running around, including some in elected office? I mean, if I was relying on these two radio stations to give me the news of the day, I'd probably be a nut case, too!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 30, 2021 08:37PM

I grew up Catholic, and I remember weddings in Catholic churches only taking place on Saturdays. It's not like there is going to be a huge demand for weddings from one congregation. Plus, Catholic churches generally hold services (masses) a number of times on Sundays. Unlike Mormons, Catholics get to choose what time they wish to go to church. I don't think most Catholics would feel comfortable with the notion of a Sunday wedding. JMO

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: April 03, 2021 07:18AM

Dear Blindguy,

First of all I'd like to say how much I always enjoy your posts, notably because of your previous experience and evolution from there :-)

As an illustration of dishonesty, I have decided to misquote you without misquoting you, as dishonest commentators so often do, by quoting you selectively ;-)

My take away from your excellent post is "people shouldn't get married at all".

I agree and so does Anne, my partner of 38 years :-D

Happy Easter everyone

Tom in Paris

Posted by: pollythinks ( )
Date: April 03, 2021 05:21PM

Theirs always Los Wages.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: April 03, 2021 10:45PM

pollythinks Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Theirs always Los Wages.
I hope you mean Lost Wages Nevada

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.