Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: subeamnotlogedin ( )
Date: March 30, 2021 10:24PM

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/media-library/images/young-womens-theme-flowers-1811723?lang=eng

Young Women Theme
We are daughters of our Heavenly Father, who loves us, and we love Him. We will “stand as witnesses of God at all times and in all things, and in all places” as we strive to live the Young Women values, which are: Faith, Divine Nature, Individual Worth, Knowledge, Choice and Accountability, Good Works, Integrity, and Virtue. We believe as we come to accept and act upon these values, we will be prepared to strengthen home and family, make and keep sacred covenants, receive the ordinances of the temple, and enjoy the blessings of exaltation.

Here is another one from a polygamy group.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1O9bZwVCyuM

Guess what? They almost sound the same!

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: March 30, 2021 10:32PM

It is a mix between the temple covenant and the young women theme.

Back when I was an active lds member whenever someone asked about polygamy I would say that it was discontinued over 100 years ago only a few splinter group who separated from Mormonism still practice polygamy. I didn't know that in the lds temple the new and ever lasting covenant was still a thing. Ha now I listen to the first minute of this video and it brings back memories of me sitting in young women's saying the young women theme.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: March 31, 2021 03:37PM

I was in YW leadership in about 1988. It was the new program (and they didn't have the goal books or the lesson manuals done yet--we were supposed to just figure it out). I hated that theme. I never memorized it.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: March 31, 2021 03:44PM

The first time I heard the Young Women come into RS and recite that, I was embarrassed for them.

Date: April 01, 2021 07:26AM

kathleen Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The first time I heard the Young Women come into
> RS and recite that, I was embarrassed for them.

It was the year 2013 every fast Sunday the Young Women would come into Relief Society and we all needed to say it together. The goal was by us saying it together with the Young Women it should make the transition from Young Women to Relief Society easier. I had said the Young Women Theme so many times that I still had it almost memorized years later.

Posted by: heartbroken ( )
Date: March 31, 2021 04:27PM

Why don't they just tell the young women to be perfect? That's what they're really asking. No wonder so many women in the Mormon church are on antidepressants. With such impossible expectations placed on them at a young age it's no wonder they're all depressed.

I recently had a discussion with a Mormon friend and told her that the emphasis the Mormon church placed on perfection was very damaging to me as a young woman. It made me feel like I could never be good enough, no matter how hard I tried. "Be ye therefor perfect" was often preached in church. An unattainable goal. My Mormon friend told me that the Mormon church has changed, that it is now a kinder church and didn't push perfection the way they used to. The young women theme tells a different story. No one can live up to those ideals, especially "We will stand as witnesses of God at all times and in all things, and in all places” Who the hell can do that?

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 31, 2021 05:06PM

Perfection is a goal pushed in Catholicism as well. The aim is to have a spotless soul through self effort, confession, and repentance. I came to the point where I saw the goal of perfection as being neither healthy nor desirable.

How and why did churches ever devise this absurd and unproductive goal? Who even wants that? I remember once chatting with a neighborhood priest who urged me to come back to church and "make a good confession." What was I supposed to confess? -- that I was sleeping with my boyfriend, and had taken home a few pens from the office? Seriously?

Posted by: heartbroken ( )
Date: March 31, 2021 06:43PM

Easy. Set an impossible goal like perfection and it guarantees failure (sin). Failure (sin) guarantees a need for repentance and forgiveness. Repentance/forgiveness can't be achieved without men of cloth and Jesus.

The idea that people need to be without sin, or perfect, was invented so there will always be a dependance on the organization that has the power to erase the imperfection (sin).

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: March 31, 2021 06:50PM

Exactly. The only system that would have worked better would be for the church to announce that breathing is a sin.

Posted by: logged out today ( )
Date: March 31, 2021 08:12PM

Summarized in two words: "Keep sweet."

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.