Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Morridora ( )
Date: April 01, 2021 05:58PM

Big sums of money are hard to imagine, like say $100 billion. We often think of all the needs of people in the world, or even in the church, and try to imagine what the First Presidency Boys could accomplish with that monetary power.

Today I ran across this article about Biden’s plans for the infrastructure bill and the specific detail about the proposed plan rang in my brain like a gong!

An “additional $111 billion would go to replace lead water pipes and upgrade sewers. Broadband internet would blanket the country for $100 billion. Separately, $100 billion would upgrade the power grid to deliver clean electricity. Homes would get retrofitted, schools modernized, workers trained and hospitals renovated under the plan, which also seeks to strengthen U.S. manufacturing.” (SL Trib today)

Wow! This info puts the power of $100 Billion in concrete terms. I’ll bet the First Pres could even afford to re-hire janitors for the chapels and temples. And have billions left over. The unused power of these billions is galling. And infuriating. If I hadn’t already left, I’d do it again.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: April 01, 2021 06:11PM

$100 Billion could fix every cleft lip on Earth.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 01, 2021 06:11PM

Church members evidently have no problem throwing their money down a hole.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: April 01, 2021 07:03PM

It’s worse. Mormons equate material wealth with righteousness. The obscene hedge fund, whose dividends are reinvested in the church’s self interest instead of spent on humanitarian causes, is seen as a virtue.

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: April 01, 2021 07:50PM

My Mormon neighbors are quite sure I will be burned as stubble at the Second Coming so I guess I won't be around to see how Jesus spends that $100 Billion+

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: April 01, 2021 09:10PM

Some of it will be used to pressure wash the human-shaped burn outline off your driveway.

Posted by: Gordon B. Stinky ( )
Date: April 01, 2021 09:28PM

Interesting observations. It is of value to think of it in concrete terms like that.

But... Mormon Jesus might need a little startup money when he returns.

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: April 01, 2021 11:08PM

What value would Federal Reserve notes have to a god? If/when Jesus returns, the last thing he will need is money. No amount of money that the church can hoard now will matter then. But that is actually what the church says they are saving up for. It doesn't make any sense.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: April 02, 2021 12:13AM

God always needs money. There's a specific exclusion about that in His Omnipotence Contract.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: April 02, 2021 12:08AM

ChurchCo will get a blessing of Thoughts & Prayers if they transfer a significant % to my bank account, that's a Pinky Promise!!

Date: April 02, 2021 12:34AM

I wanted to get students in computer classes to get some experience dealing with very large and very small numbers since numbers in the giga and nano ranges happen a lot in that field.

One of the exercises was how could you transport various amounts of US currency, in $100 bills. In particular, could you carry a million dollars by hand. That made the problem kind of interesting.

A US bank note is about 1 gram. It would take ten thousand hundred dollar bills to equal a million dollars, which would be ten thousand grams, or ten kilograms.

That's 22 pounds. Yeah, you could carry that say in a backpack, though it would tend to wear you down after a while.

How about a billion dollars. That would be a thousand million, so it would weigh 22,000 pounds. That's close to a full load on a tractor trailer truck.

And a trillion dollars would be 22,000,000 pounds. Google told me an average freight train of boxcars, 6,000 feet long, can haul about 20 million pounds. That means a trillion dollars in hundreds would slightly more than fill an average freight train.

For the record, the total value of all US currency in circulation is $1.2 trillion, according to NY Federal Reserve Bank document. I don't know how much of that is $100s, but I suspect it is less than one trillion dollars.

https://www.newyorkfed.org/aboutthefed/fedpoint/fed01.html

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2021 12:36AM by Brother Of Jerry.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 02, 2021 01:18AM

So the Mormon church would need 100 tractor trailer trucks carrying (very nearly) full loads of $100 bills. Unbelievable.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: April 02, 2021 01:23AM

Just looked it up.

Your source is from 2013, and since then there's been a surge in hundreds outstanding. The total of those alone was $1.2 trillion in 2019; there are now more hundreds in circulation than singles.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/02/27/theres-been-a-mysterious-surge-in-100-bills-in-circulation-possibly-linked-to-global-corruption.html

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: April 02, 2021 01:47AM

Remember the stories of planeloads of pallets of $100 bills being flown into Afganistan?

If my Uncle Chuey, back in 1952, could mail home a jeep from Korea, piece by piece, imagine what real crooks could be doing!!

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: April 02, 2021 01:51AM

Yup.

Criminals want to conduct their business in cash, people everywhere want to store their wealth in something that appears likely to hold its value, and the Treasury realizes that when it prints a hundred it gets to exchange that for $100 worth of goods and services. Everybody's happy, and postage is cheaper than for jeep parts!

Date: April 02, 2021 02:40PM

You're right. I tend to closely read the linked articles I post after I post them. At least I will know for sure the link works! That's how I have so many posts that are edited two minutes after I post them. [two minute edit: I noticed the article was 2013 data, but wasn't interested enough to look up a more current figure. Doesn't surprise me that the number of $100s has spiked]

That, and correcting autocorrect "corrections". Beware of software with good intentions. Remember "Clippy".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2021 02:42PM by Brother Of Jerry.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: April 02, 2021 02:52AM

$500 bills used to be available, even $1,000 for bank transfers;

when drugs came along the Gov't pulled $500 bills.

When I paid off ships U.S. crews, the $500 bills would have made life a lot easier.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: April 02, 2021 01:44PM

Now add in a similar amount from their European division, similar amount from their Asian/Pacific division and a third similar amount from their african/latin American division.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.