Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: April 03, 2021 07:34AM

Well, it's been awhile since my last report, so I thought I'd drop in for the interested.

I decided to buy a new amp for my Acoustasonic Strat. My husband gave me a nice one for Christmas, but it was really made for straight electric guitars. The Acoustasonic is probably more of an acoustic guitar that can make electric sounds. He bought himself a really low rent travel amp that wasn't satisfying him with his new Telecaster. So I bought myself an Acoustasonic 40 amp and gave him the Fender Champion. We're both happier.

I'm slowly getting better at playing and have even gotten better at barre chords, but am not quite ready to try to play them in a song. I'm still working on making the sound clear when I play one at a time. I've been having fun on Chordify, which is a site where people set songs to chords. You can play with a capo or even transpose the song so it's easier to play.

And I'm still singing, too. I've uploaded a few new songs to YouTube. This is the one I did today. I was inspired to do Beth Nielsen Chapman's "I Keep Coming Back to You" as Noyzi, our street dog from Kosovo, tries to figure out if the new fly screen is going to kill him...

I'm not very good at making movies, but it's fun to make recordings. Eventually, I'll get to recording guitar, too. Thanks to the slow roll out of vaccines in Germany, I'll have plenty of time at home.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtoZYbrp0hM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Hedning ( )
Date: April 03, 2021 06:33PM

Date: April 04, 2021 02:09AM

Thanks very much!

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: April 03, 2021 09:45PM

I never had trouble with first finger barre chords like F. What killed me were the ring finger partial barre chords like B-flat. My fingers were never the right length to hit the correct strings, and only the correct strings. Drove me nuts.

I used to be impressed at the genius of Joni Mitchel retuning her guitar to make obscure jazz chords easy to play. While she was a genius, it was also a case of necessity being the mother of invention. She had had childhood polio, resulting in a permanently weakened left hand.

I mentioned in another recent thread that I was a Wailin' Jennys fan. You are well within that ballpark. Nicely done. And the dog's a hoot.

Date: April 04, 2021 02:09AM

Noyzi is awesome. When we first got him, he was terrified of everything and almost never left his bed. Now, he’s becoming such a character. He made friends with the lab puppy next door, who is always sticking his head under the fence, trying to visit.

He’s still afraid of my husband, but he’s getting better about that, too. I just sent off his DNA to see what we have in terms of a breed.

As for guitar... that’s definitely getting better, but when it comes to watching the pros, I am just awestruck. I did find a channel yesterday with a guy who does fingerpicking. I find that harder to do, but it’s definitely a skill I want. My husband just discovered barre chords. He feels my pain.

Date: April 17, 2021 09:49AM

Alright then...

I finally made a video of myself playing. I am not very good at guitar, but I just learned this song today.

I'll keep practicing... especially that pesky F chord.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8WId_ufKKA

Date: April 21, 2021 04:56AM

And one more...

Still practicing, but I love this Alison Krauss version of a Waylon Jennings song, so I decided to try it. Been wanting to record it forever. Would have been nice to do it with George before we had a falling out. Oh well. I'll keep practicing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1QaJC6gA8Q&t=12s

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.