Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: April 03, 2021 10:34AM

BYU has documented the “One Mighty and Strong” who is in my novel, “Plural Bride to Be”, and who lived on my family’s farm with some of his wives in trailers when I was a child and teen. A BYU graduate student wrote on this subject and his work is in the restricted section of the library.
Anyone who has read my novel would recognize this crack pot “prophet.” My family worshipped this creepy guy and let him host his self-styled religious services in our living room regularly. In fact my parents named two of my brothers after him. The youngest boy is Loren, the prophet’s middle name. The brother just younger than me is Bill, the nick name for his first name, William. His full name is William Loren Goldman.
I had no idea that such a small time pervert would be listed at BYU as one of the many Mighty and Strong candidates as this guy had probably fewer than one hundred followers in his prime. He was working on collecting others but antagonized and lost some of them by starting to drink coffee and wine which my mother and some others abhorred. He also made wild claims about meeting Satan face to face and also Jesus and other departed deities. He said Satan was all sparkly red with no need for joints or bones, something like a gumby man, I think. Some of these tales were just too ridiculous even for my parents and other naive followers who fell away.
My exmo brother, Bill, at age 19 or so was the last in my family to see him. The prophet guy showed up at the door and asked for sugar for his coffee. He stood around and tried to make conversation but my unreceptive brother put him off and he left before anyone else arrived home.
One of this guy’s grown children once answered a post I wrote on RfM. It’s my understanding that he abandoned many of his wives and offspring, but I can’t be sure. My brother said he was travelling alone and was likely living in his car.
I assume few remember him with much honor or respect. Or am I unfairly attributing my own opinions to others regarding this Mighty and Strong wanna-be?
Does anyone know where this Mighty and Strong myth originated?
Did you hear of it when you were a member?

Here’s a link to a list of Ones Mighty and Strong over the centuries.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_Mighty_and_Strong
The footnote 12 referred to in the link above seems not to be available (restricted by BYU).
https://contentdm.lib.byu.edu/digital/collection/MTNZ/id/31163

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: April 03, 2021 10:40AM

An institution of higher learning where knowledge is 'restricted'?

For whose benefit?

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 03, 2021 10:46AM

Some truths are not very useful.

Date: April 03, 2021 10:52AM

Some truths are not very useful for you to know about us . . .

I believe that you can learn how to build an atomic bomb from the literature available to the public, but BYU needs to restrict religious information?

You better be able to explain this, Summer, or it's all your fault!

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: April 03, 2021 11:48AM

That’s why it’s called “Intellectual Reserve”, which sounds like a Ben & Jerry’s flavor to try when you’re feeling adventurous.

Posted by: cheezus ( )
Date: June 22, 2021 11:22PM

And in contrast, some things that are useful are not very true.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: April 03, 2021 08:47PM

Most, perhaps all university libraries have materials that are restricted access. This would be materials that cannot be replaced (example, presidential papers donated to a library), ancient or unique one-off manuscripts, documents required to be kept inaccessible for a number of years as a condition of the donation of the docs to the library, etc.

There are a boatload of reasons for various levels of restricted access.

Date: April 03, 2021 09:32PM

I agree.

And of that boatload, one reason is that many particular truths are inconvenient, in that they embarrass someone or something, as seems to be the case in this instance.

Date: June 27, 2021 02:59PM

Most likely knew before it was made so clear in the H. Potter books and movies.

Posted by: pollythinks ( )
Date: April 03, 2021 05:01PM

Lucky you!

Do you get to sign autograps?

Date: April 03, 2021 06:04PM

I don't usually sign them because most are sold on kindle on Amazon and I have no idea who is buying them.

Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: April 03, 2021 07:36PM

I have a hard copy from Cheryl!! It is a good read. The prophet she mentions in the book is difficult to define in a single adjective. How could folks believe in him as a spokesman for god?

Date: April 03, 2021 08:28PM

Thank you Eric for your hard work and dedication and to the many other posters who inspired me.

I agree. It's hard to understand how cult followers can be so gullible.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: April 04, 2021 12:38PM

Date: April 04, 2021 05:11PM

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: April 03, 2021 08:04PM

Cheryl: you might have utilized this Wiki item before, but I repost this because the chart strikes me as encyclopedic, regarding the off-shoots.

But then, there are those micro-groups. In his book, "Secrets and Wives: The Hidden World of Mormon Polygamy, Sanjiv Bhattacharya examined some of these off-the-radar groups. I found lots of interesting material, and he addresses them from outside-the-Christian tradition (he's atheist and Indian). I was, ultimately, disappointed, because he kept raising the question, "Do the leaders of these groups REALLY believe what they preach, or are they self-seeking grifters?" He could never answer the question.

When we think of "cults," we usually think of denomination-sized groups, but there are lots out there, some very small, and many that are political, sci-fi, psychological/self-help, New Age, and so on. They come to our attention only when something very weird or tragic occurs, such as the mass suicide of Heaven's Gate or the branding and genital um...mutilation of NKIVM "celebrity sex" cult.

Your micro-LDS groups fit these criteria perfectly. What do you think, Cheryl? Are they true believers (in themselves), or just in it for the power, prestige, pride and sex?

Date: April 03, 2021 08:36PM

I think these cult leaders talk themselves into believing their own hype. They do love the power, prestige, and sex, but they also often feed on the energy of their followers and think God must favor them over all other mortal men. Otherwise, why would followers be worshiping, raving and and praising them as they do?

Posted by: Jerry the Aspousetate ( )
Date: April 04, 2021 09:46AM

He was at her parents house in Scottsdale, Arizona.
I went to pick her up for a date,
He didn't seem like much of a deity to me.
Wasn't very Mighty with only a few ragtag followers.
Didn't look as Strong as me.
But, of course, I'm not impressed with even more famous ones either.
Like Gordon B. Hinckley, the Pope, et al.
After I met him I took Cheryl out for a date.
Starting with evil coffee.
Glad that "Prophet" isn't breathing air on my planet.
He's on Kolob now. LOL
Jerry

Date: April 04, 2021 02:53PM

They certainly have more power and exposure than the polygamist crackpots who are more isolated from from mainstream notice.

Is it worse to intimidate and lie to millions than to a hundred or so naive followers?

I'd say little polygamous cults usually harm individuals worse but at least there are vastly fewer victims than in the SLC mainstreamers.

Also, the regular church leaders often aide and abet the worst cultists because they want to hide what happens and avoid publicity that would reflect poorly on all of Utah and on the many factions in mormonism.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: April 04, 2021 09:01PM

If either of you* ever find yourselves in New England...

:+)

*Invitation applies to any RfM'ers.

Posted by: lisadee ( )
Date: June 22, 2021 10:57PM

> His full name is William Loren Goldman.

Is this the guy's 1st wife?

https://ancestors.familysearch.org/en/KWZ3-B2Z/hilda-heiner-1907-1995

Date: June 27, 2021 01:41PM

I can't be absolutely certain.

I did meet Hilda first wife a few times, but of course she looked much different at that time.

Posted by: loislane ( )
Date: June 27, 2021 10:28AM

I grew up hearing stories of "The One Mighty and Strong" a white Indian chief, currently living in an invisible city in the Yucatan, who would one day come to Utah, restore polygamy and "set God's house in order."

Ogden Kraut wrote a book about "The one mighty and strong."

So did Rhea Kunz.

He is sometimes referred to as "The one like unto Moses."

There might be a reference to him in Isaiah.

Date: June 27, 2021 10:32AM

I forgot to mention that Joel LeBaron claimed to be TOM&S.

So did Ervil LeBaron.

So did Ben LeBaron.

So did Chris Nemlka.

I think any number of polygamous cult leaders have at least implied that they are TOM&S.

Who knows? Maybe I am TOM*S. It doesn't say the MAN mighty and strong, only the ONE mighty and strong.

No need for me to restore polygamy.

It never went away.

Date: June 27, 2021 12:55PM

It's well represented throughout Utah and adjoining states. AND there are also still covert polygamists in many mainstream wards. Keep your eyes and ears open and check into it where it surfaces.

Date: June 27, 2021 01:42PM

I must have been the most oblivious child in Nibley Park Ward.

As an adult, I have been told that many of my childhood playmates were from polygamous families. As a child, I was clueless.

The story I was told was that parents were divorced.

Of course, both stories could be true.

Lois

(Mebbe Superman is TOM&S. I'll ask him.)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.