Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: April 18, 2021 03:22PM

This little "beaut" appeared today under Peggy Fletcher Stack's byline. BTW, Will Bagley's nickname for her is particularly unflattering (think "stretch and fact" :-).

https://www.sltrib.com/religion/2021/04/17/tribune-covers-mormonism/

>>The Tribune has been connected to Mormonism since its beginning.

That one's "pure curelom dung," and honestly, I remember another of FS's columns where she noted, "The Tribune was 'anti' in those days."

And seriously, the Tribune began as a "mining gazette" with the Gentiles in the territory opposing BY's views and the Saints' farming practices. There was a strong stance against polygamy from the original Utah "Liberal Party," and a group of dissident Mormon intellectuals known as the "Godbeites" became affiliated with it.

https://www.uen.org/utah_history_encyclopedia/s/SALT_LAKE_TRIBUNE.shtml

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 18, 2021 05:26PM

Well, to be fair, I think she meant connected, but not always in a positive or even neutral way as it tries to be at present. I'm surprised Brigham didn't organize a raid on the paper's printing press in the early days.

Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: April 18, 2021 07:02PM

Which is why I don’t pay the $150 to get past their paywall, so I will have to take your word for it, they still suck and are deeply in the pockets of the theocracy of Utar.

Date: April 18, 2021 11:22PM

A half-dozen or a dozen free articles per month. That's adequate for my needs since we also get the Sunday newspaper (which is where I first saw the Fletcher Stack story I linked). The paper is no longer published daily, of course.

The Tribune was a first-rate newspaper until the Singleton fiasco, and with the Huntsman family now the publishers, it's better than it was during that era. The story is a stinkeroo, fersher. Essentially what happened was the McCarthy family transferred ownership in order to "unscramble" some overlaps that involved the TCI cable company and Dean Singleton's media group (which I believe owns the Denver Post). They held an option to re-purchase the paper, but AT&T acquired TCI, and Singleton refused to honor that option, apparently believing courts in Utah would rule in his favor. That's a "thumbnail history," and I'm sure I'm bedeviled by some "senior moments" in my narrative. The McCarthy family was descended from Thomas Kearns who purchased the Tribune in 1901.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Kearns

My sources at the Tribune told me Thomas S. Monson orchestrated the entire dirty deal, and the LDS Church's heavy-handed tactics were were well-documented on this site. The JOA between the Trib and Deseret News was also problematic, if I remember correctly.

Date: April 19, 2021 11:02AM

I remember the rest of the story. The monument at the site of the Mountain Meadows Massacre (a rock cairn constructed from the original material used by Major Carleton's men) was being rebuilt, and despite their best efforts using ground-penetrating radar, a backhoe unearthed the remains of a number of the victims. These included children, and forensic analysis showed they'd been murdered at close range. The pictures and story appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune, and Hinckley went ballistic. This was likely the impetus to "silence" the newspaper, and the events I described followed.

Utah governor Mike Leavitt (a descendant of several massacre participants) ordered the remains re-buried. If you can find it, Brian Patrick's excellent video, "Burying the Past," details the events. Will Bagley's books, "Blood of the Prophets," and "Innocent Blood" offer excellent historical accounts of those events.

(edited to correct typo)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/2021 03:08PM by SL Cabbie.

Posted by: stillanon ( )
Date: April 19, 2021 11:20PM

Here's a clue guys (and gals). You can get unlimited views to the Trib if you're willing to do two simple things. When they block you out from more articles, clear your history and cookies. I, like most people use Google Chrome as my browser. When you're blocked out, go to the top right past your browser bar to the 3 descending dots. Click the dots. Then, go down to the 4th bar to "History". Click on that and it opens a box to the left that also says history. Click that and check the boxes of the Trib. Then click on "delete" tab. After that, go to the left side of the page and 3 lines down you'll find "Clear browsing data" click on that and then click on the blue box that says "Clear Data". Now you've got another 5 articles. Once you learn this, it only takes 20 seconds to get another round of free articles. Let me know if you have a problem, but it's pretty easy once you do it once.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: April 19, 2021 01:12AM

You just can’t stop yourself from exaggerating, can you? Basic subscription is $8 per month, and I imagine that is discounted for the first year. $150 is their premium rate, which includes basic NYTimes

Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: April 19, 2021 08:00PM

Brother Of Jerry Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You just can’t stop yourself from exaggerating,
> can you? Basic subscription is $8 per month, and
> I imagine that is discounted for the first year.
> $150 is their premium rate, which includes basic
> NYTimes
It only shows me 2 options, $150/yr or $15/mo, which is more than $150/yr, so no, I wasn’t exaggerating, at all. I was doing the exact opposite. Do the math. It’s not difficult.

Date: April 19, 2021 10:59PM

www.sltrib.com and you'll have access to more free articles than I've been able to use most months. BOJ is correct about it costing $8 a month to get the newspaper, and as I noted, it's only published on Sundays nowadays.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: April 18, 2021 07:25PM

THEY HAVE FOUR PAGES OF SUNDAY COMICS!!!!

ETA: Add in the new Post Secrets that come out each Sunday, and you've got the makings of a great couple of cups of coffee!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/2021 07:26PM by elderolddog.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: April 19, 2021 11:14AM

the whole story is the demise of sufficient print advertising to support a daily newspaper, a city the size of GSLC 'needs' 2 independent papers.

'progress' my horses patootie as Col. Potter would say!

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: April 19, 2021 04:06PM

I quit paying attention to the Trib since Kirby retired.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: April 21, 2021 09:24PM

If you were to check the personal ratings of any hospital, all hospitals score very low because the only people making comments are the ones who feel poorly treated. Same with newspapers. Comments seldom say how great the newspaper is because the comments are made by people feeling aggrieved.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.