Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: dimmesdale ( )
Date: May 13, 2021 10:16AM

I was reading an article in my online newspaper and checking the readers' comments, and I realized that a couple of regular commentators haven't posted for a long time. They were excellent writers and thinkers and often posted better content than the original author of the piece.

It made me remember some of the great posters on this site so many years ago when I spent a lot of time here.

Deconstructor
ripman
Gracie
Packham
Scytherius
AussieJohn
Sebastian
Sandi
SLDrone
DrShades
MSMom
Persephone
Strau<tt
DebbiePA
Makurosu

and many more. I wonder about them. Are they OK? I hope so.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: May 13, 2021 10:30AM

I'm still here, just don't post much...

Dr Shades has his own forum.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: May 13, 2021 11:31AM

They were great posters. Good times. I hope everyone is doing well. Sometimes old posters pop in and give us updates. I always enjoy those.

Posted by: moira ( )
Date: August 18, 2022 02:47PM

Dagny!!! Just sent an email to the last address of yours that I have!

Date: August 20, 2022 06:03PM

I just saw it and replied! Nice to hear from you.

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: May 13, 2021 12:53PM

Don't even see Benson around here anymore. Lucifer and her husband. I personally thought it was a lot more interesting to read when I first arrived here in 2005.

I was going to mention that Packham posts now and then.

So where is Dr. Shades' forum?

Brian the Christ and his wife.

Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: May 13, 2021 01:58PM

cl2notloggedin Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So where is Dr. Shades' forum?

He runs Mormon Discussions at www.mormondiscussins.com

Posted by: kantgomo ( )
Date: August 17, 2022 08:42PM

Shades board, Mormon Discussions, is now www.discussmormonism.com

Posted by: kantgomo ( )
Date: August 17, 2022 08:48PM

Anybody still here that came to the meetup in Birmingham, AL years ago?

Date: May 13, 2021 12:55PM

Posted by: Jaxson ( )
Date: May 13, 2021 01:37PM

When I discovered this place in 1998 I was working my way out of the church and a bad marriage. The board then was GREAT...far superior to what it is today. There were a lot more doctrinal questions/answers. I recall that Deconstructor was my hero when it came to answers I needed on topics the church claimed they never hid.

The board had more of a "community" feel to it. We even had an RfM Fantasy Football League at one point. Moderators actually allowed the flow of discussion EVEN IF it didn't match their personal viewpoints. Political posts were rare. The board had more of a "close knit" feel to it. Sure there were some trolls and "wild hairs" (Colonel Thomas Kane) that kept things hopping, but for the most part it felt like we were all in the same boat navigating our way out of Mormonism while picking up new online friends and having fun at the same time.

I wish I could remember all the posters from back then as well. A few I do remember are -

Davey
Brewmeister
Colonel Thomas Kane
Leg Humping Labrador
TLC
Tedd
J.
Esteban
Wags (still use his "Cream In Your Jeans Brownies" recipe)
Siog
Kymba
Wine Country Girl
Tahoe Girl
ExMormonRon

Those were the days...

Posted by: Heidi GWOTR ( )
Date: May 13, 2021 02:41PM

I agree. I've been here since close to the beginning. I find that it ebbs and flows. Plus, back then, things were harder to find on the web. Now, google, and there it all is. Plus, we now have facebook and reddit for community as well.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: May 17, 2021 01:26AM

Haha. Colonel Thomas Kane was a piece of work. Quite entertaining though.

Posted by: dimmesdale ( )
Date: May 13, 2021 04:46PM

I remember most of those as well.
Lots of smart people....

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: May 14, 2021 01:35AM

Mak is fine. Just doing other things now :)

Posted by: not logged it. ( )
Date: May 14, 2021 09:39AM

This post made me think of Deanie, the Dreaded Single Adult.

Loved. her. Miss her dearly.

Posted by: allegro ( )
Date: May 15, 2021 11:27AM

I miss Deanie too and SusieQ#1.

Posted by: anonynon ( )
Date: August 20, 2022 01:35PM

I loved Deanie's posts, and also her creativity. She is still missed.

(I used to go by a different name, I just can't remember it)

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: May 15, 2021 03:51AM

We've seen some good ones come and go... and that's the way it goes.

I just like a good discussion- one that doesn't cause a concussion.

They should start good... And get better. Or start great and have high points and pointy peaks.

Many these days are lackluster: they lack luster. I give it all I can muster (and I don't even like mustard).

Maybe we can breed our smarts and our pants and see it we can make more smarty pants (non-LDS bright, beautiful, bold bolts of lightening).

All we can really do, right now, is dance!

What am I still doing here? And where are my pants?

Posted by: InCognito2 ( )
Date: May 15, 2021 09:18AM

Posted by: auntsukey ( )
Date: May 16, 2021 10:04AM

Posted by: Sebastian (not logged in) ( )
Date: May 16, 2021 02:33PM

Hello. I'm not here anymore, but I pop in to lurk sometimes. Thanks for thinking of me. I hope you are doing well!

Date: May 17, 2021 12:22AM

Nice to see you Sebastian :) I hope all is well on your end.

Posted by: Sebastian ( )
Date: May 17, 2021 08:40AM

Hi Susan!

Posted by: PapaKen ( )
Date: May 17, 2021 09:36AM

It’s fun to remember all of the fun times we’ve had!

My twin grandchildren were born here, and now they’re 14 years old! Yikes!

Thank you to all you “oldies,” whether still here or not, and whether you knew it or not, who helped me transition out of both the closet AND Mormonism.

❤️

Posted by: DebbiePA ( )
Date: May 17, 2021 07:05PM

Hi dimmesdale and everyone!! :::waves enthusiastically:::

I'm still alive and kickin'. I rarely read here any more because Mormonism for me is so much in the past, I just don't think about it. Hard to believe, because becoming an Ex Mormon was so central to my life for so many years. It's a total coincidence that I happened to click on the shortcut tonight, wondering what everyone was talking about these days. I was surprised to see my name!!

My three oldest kids (daughters-40, 38 & 36) were raised in the church until college age. My youngest (son-31) was 11 when their dad and I split after several years of me pulling away so he didn't get the full-on TBM upbringing the girls did. All of them are out and complete non-believers. They often talk about the church and how batshit crazy it is. The girls are in the ExMo Facebook group.

I'm 67 now and the grandmother of two fantastic toddlers, a boy 3 and a girl 2. I went through breast cancer in 2019 (lumpectomy and radiation, but so far so good). I'm fully vaccinated and can't wait to gather with friends again. I'm very politically active in my town and county. Guess which side I fall on? LOL.

I found the board in 1997 and it really was a lifeline for me. I was here every day. Back then you could read all of the day's posts in the evening. I've often wondered about some of the people who posted who were a big influence for me. I especially remember fondly Ether, who, when I was hesitant to leave, told me to "just do it!" and Playelder with his hilarious stories. Some I got to meet in real life and others remain my cyber friends through Facebook.

Glad to see so many familiar names!!

Date: May 17, 2021 11:10PM

Hi Debby! Nice to hear you are well and your kids too. Those grandkids must be a handful but I bet you love it :)

Date: May 17, 2021 11:28PM

Hi DebbiePA. It sounds like life is going well for you. I'm glad to hear from you after all this time. I enjoyed your posts. I'm confident the treatment for your lumpectomy did the job! I'm glad all your kids are out. Thanks for the update.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: May 18, 2021 05:18AM

Hi Debbie, nice to see you - and thanks for the reminder about PlayElder... He was fun!

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 26, 2021 04:50PM

Hello, Debbie! I'm glad you swung by with an update.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 17, 2022 08:24AM

Hi, Debbie! Nice to hear from you. I'm glad that things are going well, and that all of your kids are out.

Date: May 26, 2021 03:28PM

Posted by: SLDrone ( )
Date: August 17, 2022 01:21AM

Who knew, we would someday be nostalgic for the heady days of recovery from Mormonism? Tears in my eyes but I laugh too.

Posted by: PHIL ( )
Date: August 17, 2022 12:21PM

I remember Playelder & Adventures in the Macon zone along with Col Thomas Kane and his piece about the coming Mormon Implosion. Wish I still had a copy of it to see how accurate his prediction of the future was.

Date: August 17, 2022 02:52PM

It’s so nice to go down memory lane with you all. Quick question: Does anyone know what happened to the original slideshow of photos of members from the early 2000’s? I’d love to track it down. There are photos from when I met Esteban and Diane that I would love to have copies of.

Date: August 17, 2022 07:59PM

I sure do :) Picture Trail shut down and I had to manually download each one and then put them in a zip. CZ, Eric and I have copies. To tell the truth, I am not exactly sure how to access them and I couldn't mark them but I made a list that is around here somewhere... I have a bunch of stuff going on but maybe I can find what you are looking for by next week. Drop me an email so I know how to get you :)

Date: August 17, 2022 08:37PM

OMG, that would be wonderful! I used to have your email address but can’t find it now. Where do I find it or should I ask Erick? Thanks so much!
Moira

Date: August 17, 2022 09:19PM

LOL, same old addy. ExMoLight@gmail.com

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: August 17, 2022 04:49PM

Hi Debbie. :o)

I'm the same. I peek in several times per day, and every now and then something will inspire me to comment.

But I'm always around.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.