Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Razortooth ( )
Date: May 14, 2021 01:08PM

Today's LDS Living features a piece, entitled "Watch: These children testifying of Jesus Christ will warm your heart"

You REALLY want a toasted heart? Watch children testifying of Santa Claus.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: May 14, 2021 01:21PM

Watching children parrot the words they were taught by their parents as part of their indoctrination to the church is always so heart warming....bless their little hearts.

So heart warming that they asked parents to stop doing that in F&T meetings. Years ago, the bishop got up and said just that before opening it up for testimonies. He said they can do it on their own if they want, but no more help from parents. Sure enough, the first up was a mom and her 4 year old with her whispering the words to say in his ear.

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: May 14, 2021 01:37PM

They would have NEVER done this and they didn't bear their testimonies either and none of us did either. I only bore my testimony when forced to like at girls' camp.

I always thought these kid testimonies were all for show.

Posted by: SEcular Priest ( )
Date: May 14, 2021 03:49PM

What the children were saying are very adult concepts that require a maturity these children do not have. The Church should be ashamed to be using children as a tool to convert people. I am old and I still do not understand the concepts of God Jesus or the atonement. I do believe I prayers. I have studied and I mean studied books on the life of Christ both Lds and non Lds books. These kids probably cannot spell Jesus yet they are testifying of him. They probably do not know what testifying is or means. For Dusty Rusty to use children this way is a sin. As I said cute kids, cute video until you stop and really think about it. Of course I would expect nothing less than this from Rusty

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: May 17, 2021 11:44AM

you used to. I always watched for your posts about what they are doing at church NOW! My daughter won't tell me those things and she is TBM, so it was nice to hear what is going on and what is influencing her.

They've been doing these testimonies since I was a little girl and I'm 63. So ALL the leaders are guilty and the parents who encourage this and the teachers in primary, etc., are guilty of promoting this idea. I think my parents actually would have been embarrassed if one of us got up and bore our testimony when we were little. I actually do not believe that in my years growing up that any person in my family stood up and bore their testimony. My mom may have once--but more than likely not. We weren't into "show." I've always thought my beliefs were personal and unique, and I didn't like sharing them.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: May 14, 2021 03:47PM

Haha. Yes Santa Claus.

At least they stopped the testimony gloves I heard. Those would have worked better with a picture of a S'more where they had Joseph Smith.

Posted by: moehoward ( )
Date: May 14, 2021 04:53PM

I've got to stop following this blog, more bad memories. I did the testimony thing twice at 12. Once at Boy Scout camp where there was a lot peer pressure (I did like Scout camp) and once when all the deacons (myself included) gave testimony at fast sunday. I had no idea was I saying.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: May 14, 2021 05:08PM

Get a load of this testifying children...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROpjpdBMyqI

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: May 16, 2021 02:09AM

I was expecting these children: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hPTL5GGPEPQ

Posted by: heartbroken ( )
Date: May 14, 2021 06:03PM

I converted to LDS Inc. just becore I became a Beehive. I had missed out on primary and didn't know much about it

Fast forward about 10 years when I returned from my mission and was asked to be a primary teacher. I had my first experience with primary and was shocked to see a teacher whisper word for word into a child's ear the exact words he/she then repeated while bearing testimony in the mini primary chapel.

Teacher: "I know the church is true."
Child: "I know the church is true."

Teacher: "I know that Joseph Smith was a prophet of God."
Child: "I know that Joseph Smith was a prophet of God.

We all learn by memorizing/repeating what we've been taught, but to tell a child to declare publicly they know something to be true they can't possibly know is true is brainwashing and teaching a child to lie and be dishonest with him/herself.

Even when I was a TBM adult I always felt like I was being dishonest when I declared I knew "the church" was true. I wanted it to be true but didn't know it was true. There is no way to know. I was just being obedient by repeating what I was told to say.

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: May 14, 2021 07:04PM

who else remembers these "mini primary chapels" ~

it was exactly like heartbroken sez ~

in b 4 1970 ~

broadway ward ~

houston texas ~

Posted by: hollensnopper ( )
Date: May 14, 2021 09:30PM

I have never heard a Mormon testimony.

I have heard many statements of "I know this, that. or the other.

I have never heard the "testimony" part. Per Webster's dictionary, a testimony is "statements given in support of a statement.

I have had some fun asking, after the fact, how come they never got to the testimony part, and watching them squirm realizing they had NO supporting statements of HOW they know.

A good finish goes something like this: "So! You have no testimony, only a bunch of statements you have been trained to repeat without any actual evidence whatever."

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: May 14, 2021 09:48PM

Yeah, but when a kid testifies that Brother Fingers touched his private place, they don't want to believe THAT.

Posted by: cinda ( )
Date: May 14, 2021 09:55PM

I first read this as Terrifying children!

Posted by: momjeans ( )
Date: May 16, 2021 12:04AM

I remember being forced into "bearing my testimony" in order to win a badge (or something) for Primary. Naturally, it was all stock phrases.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2021 12:10AM by momjeans.

Posted by: laperla not logged in ( )
Date: May 17, 2021 01:25AM

I have a dim memory of having to make a flannel board show for church, which I did. That is where the background is flannel, and you cut out things and glue sandpaper on the back to make them stick.

Mine mostly sheep and one horse. People thought I was slow witted.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.