Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: May 22, 2021 12:58AM

https://www.discovermagazine.com/planet-earth/earths-inner-fort-knox

"More than 99 percent of Earth's gold is missing—it all sank to the center of the planet billions of years ago. In fact, says geologist Bernard Wood of Macquarie University in Australia, there's enough gold in Earth's core to coat its surface in 1.5 feet of the stuff. How did it get there? Earth formed from a series of smaller planetesimals that crashed together over the course of 30 million to 40 million years."

That's amazing. And tells a much different and far more violent story than anything ever told in any man made creation myth.

what has happened over the past 40 million years is the heaviest parts of hundreds of millions of planets, meteorites, comets, and stardust wound up at the same place, at the same time,
not by accident.
Mostly by accident, but not entirely.
Attracted to each other by gravity, force and spin.

spinning through space and mind boggling speeds approaching the speed of light, light slowed down,
m=e/c^2

out from the center of the galaxy, our galaxy and every galaxy we've ever seen, light escapes through helical plasma jets rising up out of the pulsars we are just now beginning to see clearly.

of slamming together, still happening today, every day, for 40 billion years, with a core that is molten gold, hotter than the surface of the sun.

Prior to that, plasma was emitted from helical jets erupting out of a black hole at the center of galaxies like ours.

All the black holes connect

to the Great Attractor

Like roots to a tree

Or how a nervous system connects to the two sides of our brains

Turns out we do look like god

only she looks like a tree

or you

or me

https://medium.com/predict/the-powerful-and-mysterious-great-attractor-710f353e809f

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: May 22, 2021 01:04AM

Good luck with that.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: May 22, 2021 01:08AM

Posted by: moehoward ( )
Date: May 22, 2021 11:31AM

So, if I understand this correctly, I need a long, long drill and I will be rich.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 22, 2021 11:35AM

... I remember having a long, long drill once ...

Yeah, solid gold!

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: May 24, 2021 11:17AM

Until that unfortunate smelting accident!

Date: May 24, 2021 01:48PM

He who smelt it, dealt it...

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: May 22, 2021 12:03PM

moehoward Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So, if I understand this correctly, I need a long,
> long drill and I will be rich.

Probably not!!
As your drill bit apparoaches the core the lava present will probably melt it!!

Posted by: moehoward ( )
Date: May 22, 2021 12:32PM

Whoa dude, my drill bit is immune to lava.

Date: May 22, 2021 02:52PM

That is what I thought until I tried to drill through some 1095 steel that I use to make hunting knives

Date: May 22, 2021 04:10PM

Try drilling through stainless steel. It's the great destroyer of drill bits.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: May 23, 2021 02:02AM

When you’re drilling, use the right lubricant.

Date: May 24, 2021 11:24AM

Date: May 22, 2021 02:01PM

It would be easier to get gold from sea water.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: May 22, 2021 02:13PM

schrodingerscat Wrote:
> All the black holes connect
>
> to the Great Attractor
>
> Like roots to a tree
>
> Or how a nervous system connects to the two sides
> of our brains
>
> Turns out we do look like god
>
> only she looks like a tree
>
> or you
>
> or me

None of that has any basis in either article. You just made it up.

Date: May 22, 2021 03:01PM

Don’t stop him, he’s on a roll.

Date: May 22, 2021 03:32PM

Lot's Wife Wrote:
> schrodingerscat Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > All the black holes connect
> >
> > to the Great Attractor
> >
> > Like roots to a tree
> >
> > Or how a nervous system connects to the two
> sides
> > of our brains
> >
> > Turns out we do look like god
> >
> > only she looks like a tree
> >
> > or you
> >
> > or me
>
>
> None of that has any basis in either article. You
> just made it up.

I did make it up.
I was being poetic, but I will dig up the articles I've been reading that inspired it.

Plasma Jets,

spinning through space and mind boggling speeds approaching the speed of light, light barely slowed down, m=e/c^2

out from the center of the galaxy, our galaxy and every galaxy we've ever seen, light escapes through helical plasma jets rising up out of the pulsars we are just now beginning to see clearly.

slamming together, still happening today, every day, for 40 billion years, creating a core that is molten gold, hotter than the surface of the sun.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: May 22, 2021 04:09PM

>slamming together, still happening today, every day, for 40 billion years

That would be 40 million years. The universe appears to be only about 13 billion years old (if one can refer to 13 billion years as "only")

Date: May 22, 2021 06:32PM

Brother Of Jerry Wrote:
> >slamming together, still happening today, every
> day, for 40 billion years
>
> That would be 40 million years. The universe
> appears to be only about 13 billion years old (if
> one can refer to 13 billion years as "only")

Right, yeah typo, I meant 40 million, like the original article I linked said, but life on earth has been going on for the past 3.5 billion years, uninterrupted, so whatever hit the Earth in the past 3.5 billion years, wasn't enough to wipe out life or stop evolution.

Posted by: lurking in ( )
Date: May 22, 2021 07:21PM

Only a tiny fraction of the earth's core is gold; the vast majority of the core is composed of iron and nickel.

Date: May 22, 2021 03:48PM

If you read the wikipedia article on the Great Attractor, the article is not very long, and the GA appears to be a relatively minor astronomical feature. It is hard to see, because the bulk of the Milky Way is between us and it. The Shapley Supercluster is a more significant feature, but that name is not nearly as much fun.

SC just likes the name. He writes it as if it should be read with an echo effect - Great-rate-rate Attractor-tor-tor. He finds it almost as much fun to type as "Michio Kaku."

And he routinely makes up stuff about it, like claiming that a series of galaxies are all moving toward it at the identical high rate of speed, when in reality the speeds vary, and they are small compared to the speed all galaxies are moving away from each other - i.e. the general expansion of the universe.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Attractor

Date: May 22, 2021 06:41PM

Brother Of Jerry Wrote:
> If you read the wikipedia article on the Great
> Attractor, the article is not very long, and the
> GA appears to be a relatively minor astronomical
> feature. It is hard to see, because the bulk of
> the Milky Way is between us and it. The Shapley
> Supercluster is a more significant feature, but
> that name is not nearly as much fun.
>
> SC just likes the name. He writes it as if it
> should be read with an echo effect -
> Great-rate-rate Attractor-tor-tor. He finds it
> almost as much fun to type as "Michio Kaku."
>
> And he routinely makes up stuff about it, like
> claiming that a series of galaxies are all moving
> toward it at the identical high rate of speed,
> when in reality the speeds vary, and they are
> small compared to the speed all galaxies are
> moving away from each other - i.e. the general
> expansion of the universe.
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Attractor

If you Google, "How fast is our galaxy moving towards the Great Attractor" it will produce this result.

"Whatever this Great Attractor is, it is so powerful that it has a mass capable of pulling millions and millions of stars towards it. Our own galaxy is moving towards this anomaly at a whopping 1,342,162 miles per hour."

Not just our Milky Way Galaxy, but all the 100,000 galaxies in our Super Cluster, Laniakea

You can see it here, at 4:10 mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rENyyRwxpHo

Which is the Milky Way's black hole is on a collision course with Andromeda's black hole. In about 10 billion years the two black holes will converge on the same exact point in space.

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/andromeda-milky-way-galaxy-black-hole-collision-simulation#:~:text=Previous%20simulations%20have%20suggested%20that,about%206%20billion%20years%20later.

So how does that square with the exponential expansion of the universe? How can the universe be both expanding and converging on the same point at the same time? Think of a whirlpools on a soap bubble that's expanding all the time. That's what I see when I look at the current dynamic model of the universe modeled by Brent Tuly in the Laniakea video on Nature, here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rENyyRwxpHo

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/2021 06:49PM by schrodingerscat.

Date: May 23, 2021 04:53AM

What if time is expanding exponentially and the Universe is staying the same size?

What if the Big Bang is one in an endless series of Big Bangs? Is it like an 8-track tape that loops back to the beginning? Will you join the Mormons next time around?

What if the Universe is a thought in the mind of God? Does that change anything?

Date: May 22, 2021 02:27PM

Enough to put gold teeth in all of the South American Mormons?

Date: May 22, 2021 05:49PM

It was deep. I mean, real, real, real deep. It went all the way through the Earth's crust and into the mantle. Nobody had ever drilled a hole this deep before.

The Russians lowered a microphone down into it, and it recorded superhot temperatures (this was the Earth's mantle, after all!) and heard screams! Lots and lots of loud, horrible HUMAN screams. The screams of people in torment!

So if you're going to try and get to that gold at the Earth's core, you're going to have to go through Hell to get it. Like, literally!

Me, I don't think it's worth it. Just sayin'

Date: May 22, 2021 06:16PM

Why does all the best mad scientist stuff happen in Russia?

Date: May 22, 2021 06:18PM

To the contrary, the best mad science happens here on RfM--nearly every day.

Date: May 24, 2021 01:26PM

Lot's Wife Wrote:
> To the contrary, the best mad science happens here
> on RfM--nearly every day.

Aint it the truth?
Aint it the truth?
Aint it the truth?
Aint it the truth?

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: May 22, 2021 06:22PM

>It went all the way through the Earth's crust and into the mantle.

Not close to true.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kola_Superdeep_Borehole

"The Kola Superdeep Borehole penetrated about a third of the way through the Baltic Shield continental crust, estimated to be around 35 kilometres (22 mi) deep, reaching Archean rocks at the bottom"

Date: May 22, 2021 07:00PM

That was an actual article in National Enquirer.

Date: May 22, 2021 08:48PM

My source is the World Weekly News.

Date: May 22, 2021 08:55PM

I saw something very similar in the Epoch Times.

Date: May 22, 2021 09:39PM

Date: May 22, 2021 09:43PM

China Daily is great when I want to know the government's perspective, but for objective coverage I prefer the Worker's Daily.

The Epoch Times, by conrtast, hits the mark after a hard day's work when all I want to do is sit back with an opium pipe and have a good laugh.

Date: May 22, 2021 10:06PM

I stand corrected.
I get my tabloids mixed up.

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: May 22, 2021 06:35PM

wrong again OPie ~

the gold sank in the deluge ~

when the flood dropped out ~

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: May 22, 2021 06:54PM

I read somewhere long ago that most of the gold ever mined is at the bottom of the sea and that most of the gold jewelry people own is the same gold used over the centuries and recycled.

Date: May 22, 2021 07:04PM

I bet the Great Attractor wears a lilac scent.

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: May 22, 2021 08:35PM

elderolddog Wrote:
> I bet the Great Attractor wears a lilac scent.

Thanks a lot, I was starting to think the lilac theme had been exhausted. Now you pull me back in.

Date: May 22, 2021 09:39PM

It's what I was born to do!

Date: May 22, 2021 07:38PM

https://news.artnet.com/art-world/most-detailed-black-hole-photograph-1955942

A black hole is a field of matter so dense that not even rays of light can escape its gravitational pull. But as the black hole inexorably draws in gas, dust, and stars, some light is actually propelled outward in jets of energetic particles.

“This jet process is totally amazing—something the size of our solar system can shoot out a jet that pierces through entire galaxies and even galaxy neighborhoods,” Event Horizon Telescope team member Sara Issaoun told IGN.

The new image shows the black hole’s vortex, and the magnetic field lines at its inner edge, illustrating how the magnetic field both feeds the black hole’s insatiable hunger and powers the intergalactic fireworks show that surrounds it.

“The main finding is that we not only see the magnetic fields near the black hole as expected, but they also appear to be strong. Our results indicate that the magnetic fields can push the gas around and resist being stretched. The result is an interesting clue to how black holes feed on gas and grow,” Jason Dexter, a professor at the University of Colorado Boulder, told Space.com.

“We are now seeing the next crucial piece of evidence to understand how magnetic fields behave around black holes, and how activity in this very compact region of space can drive powerful jets that extend far beyond the galaxy,” said Monika Mościbrodzka, coordinator of the EHT Polarimetry Working Group, in a statement.

Date: May 22, 2021 08:01PM

Hey, if Roy can get help naming his band, The Cat can do whatever it is he's doing. What matters is that he's having a good time. Unless and until CZ has had enough ... of Roy and/or The Cat.

"Tis a consummation devoutly to be wished" as one punter put it, sort of semi-recently if you're looking back to the Big Bangle & the Banglettes.

Date: May 22, 2021 08:40PM

Kori asked how the Great Attractor's pull on its region of space is compatible with the expansion of the universe. The answer is in the final paragraphs of the article he cited in his OP.

As that article says,

"So is the Great Attractor a threat to us?

"No, not really. Expansion will in this case win against condensing worlds. The peculiar velocity is only at 20% of what it should be to seal our fate with the Great Attractor. Everything that is not small clusters tends to fall apart, even the huge Laniakea which will one day dilute and fail as a supercluster. At the rate that we’re expanding, we will never actually come into contact with the mysterious Great Attractor, though we continue to study it."

So there you have it. The universe is not going to collapse in upon itself. The Great Attractor distorts things locally and hence is interesting, but it is nowhere near powerful enough to counteract the forces of expansion.

Date: May 22, 2021 09:25PM

Dark Matter is 26% of the Universe. It is what has our black hole, SagA*, on a collision course with Andromeda’s black hole in 10 billion years.

It’s hard to imagine the chances of that happening by accident. The odds of that happening are hard to imagine.
But it’s not by accident. There are good reasons for it.
The Great Attractor.
Like the ultimate trick shot in Cosmic Pool, helped by the pool shark’s wicked spin.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_energy#:~:text=The%20simplest%20explanation%20for%20dark,hence%20Lambda%2DCDM%20model).&text=It%20is%20sometimes%20called%20a,energy%20density%20of%20empty%20vacuum.

“Assuming that the lambda-CDM model of cosmology is correct, the best current measurements indicate that dark energy contributes 68% of the total energy in the present-day observable universe. The mass–energy of dark matter and ordinary (baryonic) matter contributes 26% and 5%, respectively, and other components such as neutrinos and photons contribute a very small amount.[4][5][6][7] The density of dark energy is very low (~ 7 × 10−30 g/cm3), much less than the density of ordinary matter or dark matter within galaxies. However, it dominates the mass–energy of the universe because it is uniform across space.”

Date: May 22, 2021 09:31PM

You really should read your second article in your other thread. Your treatment of the Great Attractor is way off the mark.

Date: May 22, 2021 09:53PM

"There are things that might be true
and then things we hope are true...

"And things that are sparkly, bright,
Getting us through the long night.

"When The Cat grows up someday,
His tedium'll wash away.

"We pray . . ."

--3rd verse of "The Attractor Pull Sold Out!!"; the hit single from "Judge Roy Bean & the Beavers" landmark first album.

Date: May 23, 2021 02:08AM

Don’t confuse SC with the facts.

On a related note, yes, eventually Andromeda and the Milky Way will “collide”, but the spaces between stars are so immense that two galaxies can pass through each other without there being any actual collisions of any stars, though a lot of trajectories get altered.

So I’m pretty skeptical that there is any way to realistically predict that black hole stars in two galaxies will collide, or even pass particularly close to each other. This is supposed to happen four to five billion years from now. Our predictive powers are not that precise.

Date: May 23, 2021 02:11AM

Brother Of Jerry Wrote:
> Don’t confuse SC with the facts.

'Tis a fool's errand indeed.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: May 23, 2021 01:51PM

File Under:

somewhat interesting to a few, but overall:

- How might this effect my day-to-day life?

Date: May 24, 2021 03:41AM

The church might invest in a gigantic drilling project

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: May 24, 2021 12:05PM

Company name: “Earth Mineral Reserves Inc”

Posted by: Happy_Heretic ( )
Date: May 24, 2021 11:04AM

How Much BITCOIN is the earth hoarding in its core? Sounds like mother earth has a savings plan and is hedging against inflation.

HH =)

Posted by: Humberto ( )
Date: May 24, 2021 11:26AM

Light moves way faster than sound.

This is why some people appear brilliant until they start to talk.

Posted by: montanadude ( )
Date: May 24, 2021 11:33AM

Enough to make the Solid Gold Dancers from the 1970s television show real gold?

Date: May 24, 2021 03:47PM

I find it fascinating that gold is useful as a hedge against inflation.

But what happens if all denominated monies suddenly become useless because all the governments break down/
disappear?

Is it possible for gold to become “useless”?

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: May 24, 2021 04:45PM

You Can't Eat It.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2021 07:59PM by anybody.

Date: May 24, 2021 04:21PM

A trillion dollars here, a trillion dollars there, before you know it, you're talking worthless money.

(Apologies to Everett Dirksen.)

Date: May 24, 2021 05:57PM

That would seem equally apposite regarding Trump's unfunded tax cuts and, in fact, every major tax cut back to Ronald Reagan's initial foray into fiscal irresponsibility.

Date: May 24, 2021 07:13PM

The US would not lie!
Unless it was inconvenient to tell the truth.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.